PDA

View Full Version : Practice on 8ft or 9ft

cycopath
02-03-2003, 01:45 PM
I play APA league on 7ft bar tables. I was discussing with a teammate that I practice on 9ft Diamond Professional tables at a nearby poolhall. He felt like practicing on an 8ft table would be more benefinicial for play on bar boxes.
What's everyone else's opinion?

Cueless Joey
02-03-2003, 01:49 PM
Quit the barbox league? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Yup, 9 footers play a lot different than (gulp) barbox.
There's just too much traffic on barbox like the 8 footers.

Wally_in_Cincy
02-03-2003, 02:22 PM
Might not be a bad idea to practice on different types of tables. That would make it easier to adapt to current conditions. Do you compete exclusively on bar tables?

Fred Agnir
02-03-2003, 02:29 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cycopath:</font><hr> I play APA league on 7ft bar tables. I was discussing with a teammate that I practice on 9ft Diamond Professional tables at a nearby poolhall. He felt like practicing on an 8ft table would be more benefinicial for play on bar boxes.
What's everyone else's opinion?
<hr /></blockquote>

I personally think that the better you get, the more it makes a difference. Whatever you play most, I think you should hone your game to that size.

One of my teamates leads our Thursday night league by a landslide in winning percentage and handicap. He plays mostly on 9' tables and his home bar on Thursday night plays on 9' tables.

On Tuesday night, he's on my team. And we play on a bar table (in excellent condition) on Tuesdays. He's often number three or sometimes number four... on our team.. As good as he is on 9' table, he doesn't have the same game on a barbox. Don't get me wrong, it's not bad. He plays like a decent SL-7 on a bar table. But, his game is honed on 9' tables, and it's simply isn't as good when he hits the barboxes where things tend to tighten up.

Fred

cycopath
02-03-2003, 04:03 PM
Yeah, the league here plays exclusively on 7ft bar tables. It's the only league we have in this area. And to play on 9ft tables I have to travel at least 40 miles into the next county on either side of me. We are in desperate need of a good poolhall here.

Gayle in MD
02-03-2003, 04:36 PM
Hi,
You don't mention what size pockets are on the Diamond, although since you say it is a Diamond Pro, I am assumming
the pro cut pocket, which is 4 9/16. I play in several locations with the 7 and 8 foot tables, (Valley's) but my table at home is the 9 foot Diamond Pro table, and IMHO, I think that practicing on my home table has greatly improved my game. The Diamond with the pro cut pockets doesn't "Give" you anything, for sure, LOL. I think practicing on
a more challenging, longer, and tighter
table than you regularly shoot on is very good for your game. I have found that since you must aim directly at the center of the pocket, (Since it has a small pocket, with a very deep shelf) it improves your aim. When I go out to play on a bar box, after practicing on my table here at home, making the balls seems a lot easier to me.
Also, as I understand it, many of the pro players have their pockets shimmed smaller than the tables they shoot on in competition, so they must think that practicing under more difficult conditions has some merit.

Regards,
Gayle in Md.

02-03-2003, 04:47 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Gayle in MD:</font><hr> Hi,
You don't mention what size pockets are on the Diamond, although since you say it is a Diamond Pro, I am assumming
the pro cut pocket, which is 4 9/16. I play in several locations with the 7 and 8 foot tables, (Valley's) but my table at home is the 9 foot Diamond Pro table, and IMHO, I think that practicing on my home table has greatly improved my game. The Diamond with the pro cut pockets doesn't "Give" you anything, for sure, LOL. I think practicing on
table than you regularly shoot on is very good for your game. I have found that since you must aim directly at the center of the pocket, (Since it has a small pocket, with a very deep shelf) it improves your aim. When I go out to play on a bar box, after practicing on my table here at home, making the balls seems a lot easier to me.
Also, as I understand it, many of the pro players have their pockets shimmed smaller than the tables they shoot on in competition, so they must think that practicing under more difficult conditions has some merit.

Regards,
Gayle in Md.

<hr /></blockquote>

This seems like a good idea unless you are practicing for a bar table. There are many times where I need to cheat a pocket in order to play better position. If you lose this feel or worse yet never practice on tables with loose pockets you may very well be hurting your "primary" game rather than helping.

Jimbo

Tom_In_Cincy
02-03-2003, 05:06 PM
Practicing STROKE can be done on any table with any equipment.

If you are mostly a bar room player, I would recommend sticking to an 8 foot table with an oversized cue ball.. you can purchase this magnet or weighted cue balls for less than $10 each.

Sid_Vicious
02-03-2003, 05:13 PM
"you can purchase this magnet or weighted cue balls for less than $10 each"

Tom...where would I go to get the exact CB used on the Cougars in the Nationals for Las Vegas? Thanks...sid

Tom_In_Cincy
02-03-2003, 06:39 PM
Cougar tables can use the oversized 2 3/8s or the magnetic balls.

you can get either at this location

http://www.billiardsstore.com/balls_individual.htm

Mikey
02-03-2003, 06:51 PM
I can agree and disagree with the posts on this subject. If you play mostly on bar boxes , then practice on bar boxes. However, if you are used to bar box tables and are going to play on 9 footers it's going to be tough. Most 9 foot players have no problem adjusting to a smaller table, just the opposite of a bar boxer, I played exclusively on the smaller tables for many years and and had very little problem keeping up with my counterparts who played mostly on 9 footers, but when I played them on 9 footers I would get my As## beat. I bought a 9 footer 5 years ago and it the best move I ever made. My 9 footer game improved 100% and my bar box game stayed about the same, which was always good anyway.HEY, whatever works for ya.

Wally_in_Cincy
02-05-2003, 07:47 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cycopath:</font><hr> Yeah, the league here plays exclusively on 7ft bar tables. It's the only league we have in this area. And to play on 9ft tables I have to travel at least 40 miles into the next county on either side of me. We are in desperate need of a good poolhall here. <hr /></blockquote>

I guess it depends on where you want to take your game in the future.

If you want to be a killer barbox player (there's absolutely nothing wrong with that IMO , I know quite a few) practice mostly on barboxes.

I still think you should also play on bigger tables. After playing long shots on a 9-ft. you realize there's no such thing as a long shot on a 7-ft. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Is the "nearby pool hall" the same one that is 40 miles away? If it were me I would try to get there every couple weeks for a good 4 to 6 hour session, for reasons stated above and in the other posts. JMO

bluewolf
02-05-2003, 01:23 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Jimbo:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Gayle in MD:</font><hr> I think practicing on

Regards,
Gayle in Md.

<hr /></blockquote>

This seems like a good idea unless you are practicing for a bar table. There are many times where I need to cheat a pocket in order to play better position. If you lose this feel or worse yet never practice on tables with loose pockets you may very well be hurting your "primary" game rather than helping.

Jimbo
<hr /></blockquote>

I feel that too Jimbo. Someone told me when I first started pool that I should practice on the 9ft to make the 8ft easier. This did not seem to be the case for me. To me they are just different and both seem easier and harder in different ways. Also I have an 8ft and play on a 9 ft. To me it changes everything and I try to practice some every week on the same size table i play on at league. Otherwize I would be missing everything.

blu

Alfie
02-05-2003, 01:30 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cycopath:</font><hr> I play APA league on 7ft bar tables. I was discussing with a teammate that I practice on 9ft Diamond Professional tables at a nearby poolhall. He felt like practicing on an 8ft table would be more benefinicial for play on bar boxes. What's everyone else's opinion? <hr /></blockquote>Play on the size you enjoy the most.

Rod
02-05-2003, 01:51 PM
Either way your playing on a different playground. My $.02 goes to the 9 footer. You can always adjust down easier that the opposite of going up in size. Besides later on if you play more on big tables you'll already have some experience.

Rod