PDA

View Full Version : balancing sports

snipershot
02-03-2003, 10:56 PM
I just got back from a indoor baseball camp I've been attending a few days a week (don't worry I always put pool ahead of everything else), so far I've managed to include this camp into my schedule and still practice about three hours of pool a day, I was just wondering if anybody else has done something similar to this in the past or is currently doing this, did it affect your pool game at all? I just don't want anything to get in the way of pool and still enjoy some other things in my day to day life.

02-04-2003, 01:18 PM
snipershot said "I just don't want anything to get in the way of pool and still enjoy some other things in my day to day life." In that case I recommend against ever becoming gainfully employed. Thosy pesky jobs have an awful habit of getting in the way of your pool career. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif For that matter owing your own business isn't that much better!

Jimbo

ShayneinDayton
02-04-2003, 01:43 PM
I race in the summer, cuts back on practice time a little.
Shayne

Paul_Mon
02-04-2003, 03:47 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote snipershot:</font><hr> I was just wondering if anybody else has done something similar to this in the past or is currently doing this, did it affect your pool game at all? <hr /></blockquote>

Of course it does. Most of us here are still working, some are still raising families and enjoying other hobbies. In April I start devoting my practice to golf and maintaining a a pool, yard and garden. That lasts until mid October when hunting seasons starts, which last until early December. My best pool is always played January thru March.

Paul Mon

Tom_In_Cincy
02-04-2003, 03:58 PM
I gave up bowling, golf and poker to play pool whenever the family and work allow me the time.

snipershot
02-04-2003, 09:37 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> I gave up bowling, golf and poker to play pool whenever the family and work allow me the time. <hr /></blockquote>

You make me very proud /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Tom_In_Cincy
02-04-2003, 09:42 PM
BTW.. I was averaging 170 bowling and was a 15 handicap at golf. Poker.. was a weekly event with different players and friends.. nothing real serious..

Voodoo Daddy
02-05-2003, 01:39 PM
I gave up many things for pool as well. After 23 years I found that I should have "balanced" my life a lil more. I was at one time a International threat on a Dart Board, competing in Europe and the Carribean...tossed it aside for 9-BALL &lt;shakin'/ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gifhead&gt;. Also gave up golf and poker...wasnt much for tossin' the big ball.

Voodoo~~~not very bright but loyal!!

SpiderMan
02-05-2003, 01:47 PM
I have about another zillion hobbies and pastimes, but the only one that seems to actually help my pool-playing is handgun shooting. The mental focus and also the follow-through seems to be very similar in both sports, and when I'm active in one the other also benefits.

I would expect golf and pool to be similarly linked, though I'm not a golfer. One of the guys on my BCA team is a club pro (golf), and he's got the best pool stroke of any of us.

SpiderMan

snipershot
02-05-2003, 09:30 PM
I have many other hobbies as well but pool takes up 90% of my free time, I'm not much of a golfer myself but I know lot's of pool player that are good shots and play pool as well, mental focus and the competitive part of the game is what they say helps them the most.

Scott Lee
02-05-2003, 11:42 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> I have about another zillion hobbies and pastimes, but the only one that seems to actually help my pool-playing is handgun shooting. The mental focus and also the follow-through seems to be very similar in both sports, and when I'm active in one the other also benefits.

I would expect golf and pool to be similarly linked, though I'm not a golfer. One of the guys on my BCA team is a club pro (golf), and he's got the best pool stroke of any of us.

SpiderMan <hr /></blockquote>

SpiderMan...You're right! Monday night I ran my annual faculty/staff 9ball tournament at Illinois State University. It is a round-robin event, which I believe shows who is REALLY the best player! LOL The guy who took 3rd is a chef by trade, but a former Marine sniper, who can routinely put huge bullits inside a 12" target at 500 yards, with regular sights, but NO scope! His stroke was the BEST of anyone in the tournament, but he needed to learn how to manage it! I showed him some exercises to practice(the SAME ones I keep talking about here...and that EVERY student of mine knows about!). The key for everyone, imo, is to improve the control percentage of your stroke. With proper practice, you can improve your stroke control percentage quickly, by 100%, or MORE! I think for the average "good player", their SCP would be close to 50%. Whether or not they will practice them correctly is the question.

So he had a beautiful, smooth stroke...but couldn't control it more than about 20% of the time, which actually looked like he was playing pretty good, for someone who doesn't play much.

The stroke is a beautiful thing when seen in it's perfect majesty! It doesn't matter what race you are, what religion you serve, what your politics are,or ANY other variable...if you HAVE a "stroke", you're SOMEBODY! LOL It's funny how it crosses all barriers...from the down and out destitute to the blindly oblivious millionaires...if
you GOT a "stroke"...you're SOMEBODY! Money, education, looks...whether you have, or don't have them doesn't matter.
If you've got a STROKE...you're somebody! LMAO

Scott Lee

Alfie
02-06-2003, 02:56 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Scott Lee:</font><hr> His stroke was the BEST of anyone in the tournament, but he needed to learn how to manage it! I showed him some exercises to practice(the SAME ones I keep talking about here...and that EVERY student of mine knows about!). <hr /></blockquote>Did a search for 'Scott Lee exercises' for the past year. Only got two hits from today. What are the exercises?

Scott Lee
02-06-2003, 04:30 PM
Alfie...I teach a series of five specific exercises, that range from extremely easy, to moderately difficult. They stairstep each other, to the point where you need the skills acquired in the first four to accomplish the fifth.
1) longstring rollover at soft, medium and hard speeds with no english; 2) perfect distance shooting on a lag, medium and break speed shot (CB must finish within 1 diamond of the correct end of the table); 3) stopshot drill; 4)draw exercise using finesse and a soft stroke; 5) shooting the grid pattern.

Scott Lee