PDA

View Full Version : "San Jose Dick"

L.S. Dennis
02-04-2003, 12:59 AM
When I was a lot youger I used to hear of this feared player who was called "San Jose Dick". Anybody know anything about him?

Rod
02-04-2003, 02:15 AM
Dick McMoran lives out here in Phoenix. I believe at present he is working for a mutual friend. Dick's best game is/was one hole and he has played the best of them. He was not the best but a strong player all the same. I believe he is pictured in one of Robbin's one pocket books.

BillPorter
02-04-2003, 06:59 AM
I remember Dick (McMoran)from 40 years ago when he was in Dallas for a spell. He was known even back then as San Jose Dick. Most of his matches were 9-ball there at Cotton Bowling Palace in Dallas, but, as Rod said, one-pocket was his best game. I still remember a shot he made in a 9-ball match where, in order to play position, he had to shot a ball in the side pocket about 100 mph and draw whitey three rails around the table. I thought at the time, "This guy can play!" I think I saw his name listed in a tournament not too long back, maybe 3-4 years.

Troy
02-04-2003, 09:32 AM
San Jose Dick played at the old California Billiards. Other names from that era are Scarecrow, Memo, Al the Plumber, Lettuce Larry and numerous others I can't recall at this moment.

Rod
02-04-2003, 11:47 AM
Bill,
Dick went down south to play in a one pocket tournament. Some others from Phoenix went also. It may have been put on by Grady but I'm not positive. Four years ago might be about right. Years ago the first time Dick and I played it was golf. He didn't want to play 9 ball and I didn't want to play 1 hole. He come out on the short end. The last time we played it was one hole and I come out on the short end. We played some partners against each other a few times. I guess were about even. About a year or two ago a friend told me Scott Frost went over to play Dick. They ended up playing golf. I don't know any details other than Scott lost. When Dick was playing at that room he knew the 12 footers like the back of his hand. Never play and old pro on his favorite golf table. When I was playing a lot I thought about going over there and play some since I really love to play golf. The problem was I wondered how much I'd have to lose before I knew the table!

Vagabond
02-04-2003, 07:32 PM
Howdy,
He is more known in the western states but not in the east or South.But Road players know who he is. I will play him if he gives me 12-3 and break( I do not want to work hard).Cheers
Vagabond