PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Breaking Question

02-04-2003, 08:47 AM
Would there be anything "wrong" with using your playing stick to break with? I have two shafts and I am considering putting a hard tip on one shaft and switching to that shaft to break with. I don't really have the $$$$ right now to buy a break stick.

Paul_Mon
02-04-2003, 09:43 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dave_m:</font><hr> Would there be anything "wrong" with using your playing stick to break with? I have two shafts and I am considering putting a hard tip on one shaft and switching to that shaft to break with. I don't really have the $$$$ right now to buy a break stick. <hr /></blockquote>

There's nothing wrong with breaking with your playing stick. But switching shafts may annoy some of your opponents, IMO.

Paul Mon

02-04-2003, 10:34 AM
Paul, thanks for the reply. I guess that might annoy some people. I might reconsider and just break and play with the same stick until I can afford to upgrade...

I used to play quite a bit of pool back in my "running around" days, and I haven't played in quite a while. I'm going to start playing again with a couple of my friends. I hope I remember how!

Paul, if you don't mind me asking... where in Upstate NY do you live. I moved to Louisiana from Cortland... south of Syracuse and north of Ithaca. Big mistake... the job market here is the pits. Company I was working for here lost it's contract at Christmas... been un-employed since.

Rich R.
02-04-2003, 10:46 AM
Chances are that would have no problem breaking with your playing cue, but , rather than take that risk, just use a house stick to break.

02-04-2003, 11:13 AM
Believe it or not "back in the old days", it was the exception rather than the rule to see someone break with a cue other than their primary shooting cue. Ocassionally we would pull one off the rack but that is about as far as it ever got. Personally I broke with my custom JossWest for 15 years and never discovered any problem from doing so. I did need the butt plate replaced once but that was due to a hard bounce on a concrete pool hall floor which caused a crack. I sold the cue for $2500 in 1999 and got no complaints then either.

Jimbo

Paul_Mon
02-04-2003, 11:35 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dave_m:</font><hr> I might reconsider and just break and play with the same stick until I can afford to upgrade...

Paul, if you don't mind me asking... where in Upstate NY do you live. I moved to Louisiana from Cortland... south of Syracuse and north of Ithaca. Big mistake... the job market here is the pits. Company I was working for here lost it's contract at Christmas... been un-employed since. <hr /></blockquote>

I live in a Rochester suburb. My daughter is currently a freshmen at SUNY Cortland. Do you miss "Dougs Seafood"?

I would advise you to use a house cue to break with. I was at a small tournament in Toronto a few years ago and loaned my break cue to a friend to use. In my second match I shattered the butt of my playing cue on a break shot. Since then I've bought another break cue and haven't had any problems with it.

Hope the job market opens up for you soon.

Paul Mon~~~~changing my bio to say Rochester even though my mailing address is Greece NY.

Rod
02-04-2003, 12:01 PM
Very true Jimbo. I have two retired playing cues with years of break shots on them. There both in excellent condition after a wrap and finish. I still use my playing cue at times to break with. I haven't found, and I'm not looking hard, a break cue that feels as good a my regular cue.

Rod

02-04-2003, 01:05 PM
Thanks for all the replys folks. I guess I'll just either break with my normal cue or use a house cue to break.

Paul, I miss a lot of things about upstate NY! Hope your daughter does well at SUNY Cortland, tell her to stop by Monteleone's pizza and tell Charlie Monteleone Dave says hi.
Best pizza in the world... another thing I miss about NY!

Rich R.
02-04-2003, 01:06 PM
Jimbo, I agree that he will most likely never have a problem breaking with his playing cue. I played for years and never had a break cue and always broke with my playing cue. Two years ago, I switch to a cue with ivory ferrules and, as a precaution, I started using a break cue. With my wimpy break, I probably wouldn't have a problem anyway, but, as I said, I use a break cue as a precaution. However, I still hear a story now and then about a cue being damaged while breaking. If I didn't have a break cue, and didn't want to risk damaging my playing cue, a house stick is a sure bet.

02-04-2003, 01:31 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dave_m:</font><hr> Thanks for all the replys folks. I guess I'll just either break with my normal cue or use a house cue to break.

Paul, I miss a lot of things about upstate NY! Hope your daughter does well at SUNY Cortland, tell her to stop by Monteleone's pizza and tell Charlie Monteleone Dave says hi.
Best pizza in the world... another thing I miss about NY!
<hr /></blockquote>

maybe i'm just full of stuff (again) but the main reason i don't use my shooting cue to break is that i'm trying to extend the life of the tip. especially if you're doin a lot of 8 or 9-ball, it seems the breaking will squarsh the tip earlier.

dan

02-04-2003, 02:11 PM
Messing up the tip prematurely was really my first concern... thats why I was initially thinking of just switching shafts, using a hard tip to break then switching back to play.

I agree that I might annoy some folks that way though... should I worry about them /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

02-04-2003, 03:12 PM
It can really wear down and flatten your tip. I reccommend using a house cue or buying a cheap break stick. I got a cheap break/jump cue for $85. There's probably cheaper.

WaltVA
02-04-2003, 03:59 PM
Dave - Aside from annoying folks by constantly switching shafts, you would be losing the main rationale for having 2 shafts; the idea that if you damage one or lose a tip, you have an identical replacement ready to go immediately.

If your other shaft has a harder tip than you're used to, they won't play the same, and unless you spend a lot of time practicing with it, you're introducing another variable into your game. Why bother? If you play with softer tips, break with a house stick or a cheap break cue.

I frequently break with my playing cue, but I like hard WB tips and have them on all my shafts, so there's no problem if I have to go to a back-up. JAT,

Walt in VA

Scott Lee
02-04-2003, 08:54 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 ball junior:</font><hr> It can really wear down and flatten your tip. I reccommend using a house cue or buying a cheap break stick.<hr /></blockquote>

Junior...There is NOTHING wrong with breaking with your playing cue. It does not cause any more wear and tear on your cue, than just playing with it. If a tip mushrooms, it will mushroom whether you break with it or not. Just have it trimmed and burnished again, or replace it with a layered tip (like a Talisman). With single-layer tips like LePro, Triangle, Champion, etc., you cannot tell if it is a good tip or not, until you put it on and play with. There are always scrubs in a box of tips...sometimes as many as half in a box of 50! However, the tips are only $.50 each, so it is no big deal. Layered tips rarely, if ever mushroom or flatten...although you can cause them to delaminate early if you constantly pick at them or scuff them! THAT will cause wear and tear! LOL I shoot with, and break with, the same cue...a custom Samsara. I use Talisman H tips, and have been shooting with the same tip for two years now...and it is not even CLOSE to needing to be replaced. I do not use any tip tools, and I rarely rough the tip. A light coating of chalk, and a smooth stroke go an awful long way! LOL A break cue is less necessary if you know the proper fundamentals in breaking...which do NOT include throwing your body into the break shot. Learn to use the weight of the cue, and a perfectly timed swing to deliver the necessary speed for a great break, instead of muscle, and you will be way ahead of the game.

Scott Lee

Chris Cass
02-04-2003, 09:22 PM
Hi Dave,

There's a lot of bad talk about breaking with your playing cue. Sure the tip will flatten in one spot and reshape itself on the next shot. It will mushroom dut it will anyway. The real reason why you shoudn't break with your playing cue is because of the possibility of scarring the finish by accidently grinding it into the rail steal.

There's too many things that can happen on the break shot. Even, with a controlled break you could still mess up. IMO Now, if you have a cue that isn't too costly then, go for it.

Regards,

C.C.

02-05-2003, 07:26 AM
I have been breaking with my Jacoby cue recently, and seem to have had no problems. I play I with a hercules hard tip, and I think I could hit that tip with a hammer and not flatten it out any. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I get a better break with the Jacoby than a house cue or my viking, though this is probably a placebo effect to some degree. After I first got the cue, I used house cues to break.(just have one 1x1 case, so I don't take both my cues to the hall.) I decided to break with the Jacoby one day in a game of 9 ball, made three balls on the break including the nine(we generally play 9 ball on the break wins.) So naturally, I became very keen on breaking with the Jacoby(though I have yet to recapture the grandeur of the first break.)

It is kind of peculiar, though. I have some tapes of say Allison Fisher or Jeanette Lee where they break with different cue than there playing cue. I also have tapes where they use the same cue throughout. This observation is pretty meaningless thogh, since they are sponsored and have no shortage of billiard equipment. I do believe I will stick with breaking with the Jacoby. To do otherwise would be like buying a corvette and being afraid to take it fast out on the road.

NBC-BOB
02-05-2003, 07:58 AM
Well I suppose you could do that!However if your playing with an expensive cue, besides mushrooming the tip, you risk the chance of cracking the ferrule.I would opt for using the house cue in the meantime.

Fred Agnir
02-05-2003, 08:33 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> The real reason why you shoudn't break with your playing cue is because of the possibility of scarring the finish by accidently grinding it into the rail steal.<hr /></blockquote>

Exactly correct, IMO. This really is the number one reason to not break with your playing stick. IMO, the other reason would be if you want to break with different parameters like a lighter stick or a harder tip.

I've said it before that I break better with my shooting stick than any other. I'm simply more in tune with it.

Fred &lt;~~~ scarred up his shooting stick

02-05-2003, 04:33 PM
OK guys... I don't really want to run the risk of scarring up my cue. If you ever saw me hit you'd know it is a BIG risk. I'm going to try to talk my wife into allowing me to get a break cue... wish me luck!

JPB
02-05-2003, 05:21 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dave_m:</font><hr> OK guys... I don't really want to run the risk of scarring up my cue. If you ever saw me hit you'd know it is a BIG risk. I'm going to try to talk my wife into allowing me to get a break cue... wish me luck!

<hr /></blockquote>

No, you have your strategy wrong for wifely permission. Get a new cue and then relegate the one you have now as the break cue. Don't just settle for a break cue. If you can't afford a break cue now, you can't afford an appropriate upgrade yet. So just use your cue for now. But start looking at expensive cues on the net. And I don't mean 600 production jobs. Start looking at Josswest, Richard Black, Tad, Scruggs, Ginacue, etc.... Make sure the wife catches you. Say things like "Boy this guy's 20,000 cue is a little gaudy. You can get a nice looking one for around $4500." Do this for a while. When you find a cue you really want in the 1000-3000 range, your wife will be ready to cave. Then you get the expensive cue and have your old scarred up one for a break cue. You also have got her used to the idea of spending a lot of money on a cue. So when you find an excellent break cue for like $400 you can replace your old scarred up one with no problems. Trust me. These type of techniques work on all manner of necessary toys you can't live without. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

P.S. I do try to lay the groundwork for these techniques by using artillery strikes like jewelry purchases and blanket agreement on all clothing, purse, home improvement purchases, etc.... Right now I'm telling my wife to get a new car. She is hesitating and holding off. But I am on record as saying go get a new car of your choice. So how can she say no to something itty-bitty like a cue? Work on these techniques. I'm telling you. I can't make a ball, but I'm a champ at getting prizes.

02-05-2003, 08:02 PM
JPB you are the man! I am going to try your technique... I will let you know how it works...