PDA

View Full Version : Valley Forge expo or BCA expo in Vegas

dooziexx
02-04-2003, 11:01 AM
Never been to either one before. Can only afford to go to one. Which expo is better? Do most cue vendors attend both expos? A plus for BCA expo is that its held in Vegas. Are there any tourneys taking place during the BCA expo? Any comments are appreciated.

Rich R.
02-04-2003, 11:18 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dooziexx:</font><hr> Never been to either one before. Can only afford to go to one. Which expo is better? Do most cue vendors attend both expos? A plus for BCA expo is that its held in Vegas. Are there any tourneys taking place during the BCA expo? Any comments are appreciated. <hr /></blockquote>
Although I've never been to the BCA expo in Vegas, I do know that the BCA has their national tournaments at that time and there is usually a pro tournament also. I don't know about the vendors. Some one else may help.
At Valley Forge, there are a number of amateur tournaments and at least one pro event. If you are interested in shopping for cues and other pool equipment, you will not be disapointed at Valley Forge. It is like a shopping mall for pool, with many of the top cue makers in addition to dealers.

Ken
02-04-2003, 11:51 AM
I have one comment taken from the BCA website, "This is a business-to-business show only; not open to the public". Keep that in mind, stranger.
KenCT

cuechick
02-04-2003, 12:02 PM
I do not think that comment applies to the Vegas Expo, that is probally the dealers expo...Vegas is open to everyone...

As for the question at hand. VEGAS, BABY, VEGAS!!! I have been to both, and though the VF expo probally has more cues and stuff, the tournaments suck and are very expensive, all single elimination and no mini tournamnets, and with no pro event this year, there is really no question.
VEGAS, you got open singles events, minis, and the only PRO event with both women and men playing side by side! And did I mention your in VEGAS!!!!! (You may even get to see Jeanette in a bikini, come ON!)
Really, this is a no brainer! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
02-04-2003, 12:12 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cuechick:</font><hr>

....(You may even get to see Jeanette in a bikini, come ON!)
...<hr /></blockquote>

And thus we have a muy bueno idea for your next big photo shoot. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wally~~just tryin' to help /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Popcorn
02-04-2003, 12:43 PM
The BCA show is for the trades only. They are now very strict. Everyone has to pay now also. Used to be they would give passes for your employees, but not any more. It would not be all that interesting for the general public. You will get the idea real quick as you stop at a booth, they are there to write orders, hopefully big ones, and not interested in B.S.ing with eyeballers. There is a lot of furniture and pool room related stuff for people in the business, tables etc. I would go to Valley Forge if I were you.

Pizza Bob
02-04-2003, 12:45 PM
Maybe some clarification is in order. The BCA Trade Show, which is in Veags this year, is open to the trade only. You must pre-register or be able to prove you are "in the business" to gain admittance. There may indeed be OPEN tournaments going on simultaneously, but the Trade Show is just that - open to the trade only.

I've been to both. Vegas holds no special magic for me, and I prefer VF. There will be pro events this year - just in a different format than what has occurred in the past. If you're shopping for a cue, the ACA has good attendance at both shows. Would think that the offerings at VF are more geared toward the individual purchaser and there are probably more lower-end offerings. Not unusual to see Asian buyers at the BCA walk out with $10K plus worth of cues - not to say that doesn't happen at VF too, I just think it is more prevalant at the BCA.

Probably comes down to geographic location and what interests you most (competition or market place). Either one is a great time, and hopefully I'll make both this year - VF for sure - Vegas dependent on schedule.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Steve Lipsky
02-04-2003, 02:05 PM
Doozie, I also think that you may be confusing the BCA Expo (August?) with the BCA Nationals (May). Both are in Vegas.

During the Expo, you'll get a ton of vendors, but no tournaments.

During the Nationals, you'll get a decent amount of vendors, and a ton of tournaments.

- Steve

02-04-2003, 03:30 PM
Where's Valley Forge?

Pizza Bob
02-04-2003, 03:35 PM
In southeastern PA.

Adios,

Pizza Bob&lt;~~wondering if they still teach history in our schools

Fred Agnir
02-04-2003, 04:17 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 ball junior:</font><hr> Where's Valley Forge? <hr /></blockquote>
Good question. There's two of them, I believe. One in York County, one in Chester County?

The Superbilliards Expo is affectionately known as Valley Forge because it's now staged at the Valley Forge Convention Center in... King of Prussia, PA.

And now you know,... the rest of the story.

Fred Agnir &lt;~~~ good day

Barbara
02-04-2003, 04:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have been to both, and though the VF expo probally has more cues and stuff, the tournaments
suck and are very expensive, all single elimination and no mini tournamnets, and with no pro event this
year, there is really no question. <hr /></blockquote>

I won't take this personally because I have no say in how the tournament format is set up, but I will say
that it would be IMPOSSIBLE for the Expo to mimic the BCA format in Vegas. Logistically, we can't run
a DE tournment with 1000+ players in 3 days. We start at 8 am and don't finish up until 2:30 am the
next day as it is now. We only get maybe 120 tables, Vegas has 250. We only have 3 days for this
event, Vegas runs it in, what 4 days? But we also run a women's event, 2 junior events, and a senior's
event, all going on at the same time. So when would like the mini-tournaments? Is 3 am good for you?

Just can't do it.

Barbara

CarolNYC
02-05-2003, 04:45 AM
Hi there,
I think your question can be answered by asking yourself "why am I going?"Is it to shop,watch or PLAY?
And Barb, you forgot to mention when we are done at 2:30 am, we're somewhere at 7 am!
Carol~is use to a 4 hour sleep pattern:):):):):)

Paul_Mon
02-05-2003, 05:40 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr>
The Superbilliards Expo is affectionately known as Valley Forge because it's now staged at the Valley Forge Convention Center in... King of Prussia, PA.

And now you know,... the rest of the story.

Fred Agnir &lt;~~~ good day <hr /></blockquote>

Driving through the National Park at night is a real experience. They have one of the largest population of white-tailed deer in the world. Literally hundreds of deer in and around the roadways.

CarolNYC
02-05-2003, 05:48 AM
Hey cuechick,
Correct me if Im wrong,BUT, in Vegas,in order to play in the events, arent you suppose to be a BCA member and have played~8 weeks on a BCA league?Hmmmmmmmm........
Carol

Fred Agnir
02-05-2003, 09:21 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Paul_Mon:</font><hr> Driving through the National Park at night is a real experience. They have one of the largest population of white-tailed deer in the world. Literally hundreds of deer in and around the roadways. <hr /></blockquote>
What I don't understand to this day is... why can't we use a spotlight, and exactly why did we have one?

Fred

Alfie
02-05-2003, 09:35 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote CarolNYC:</font><hr> Hey cuechick,
Correct me if Im wrong,BUT, in Vegas,in order to play in the events, arent you suppose to be a BCA member and have played~8 weeks on a BCA league? <hr /></blockquote> Yes for team , no for singles.

cuechick
02-05-2003, 10:32 AM
Sorry B,
I was just answering the man's questions, I did not say VF should have minis, I just said they didn't. I also just have felt, after reserching it , IMO,it is a heafty entry for a single elimination, and expensive to stay there. I know people who love the format and play in it every year...I understand your limitations and think they do a great job under the circumstances. I agree with Carol, it all depends on what you want, if your there to shop, VF makes sense if your going to play, I think Vegas is the ticket.
I also think you get a better value for hotels and food in Vegas, IMO. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

cuechick
02-05-2003, 10:33 AM
Yeah, what he said....

also must have 8 matches... for scotch doubles...

Barbara
02-05-2003, 10:40 AM
Paul,

Feel free to bring your rifle to thin out the herd. Montgomery County is so full of deer, I see them everywhere when I go home to visit my folks. Unbelievable. And, of course, the animal activist refuse to let anyone do anything about it.

I say, thin the herd and feed the homeless!!

Barbara

Paul_Mon
02-05-2003, 11:58 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> Paul,

Feel free to bring your rifle to thin out the herd. Montgomery County is so full of deer, I see them everywhere when I go home to visit my folks. Unbelievable. And, of course, the animal activist refuse to let anyone do anything about it.

I say, thin the herd and feed the homeless!!

Barbara
<hr /></blockquote>

Barbara,

Many places around the country have situations similar to the Valley Forge deer over-population. After many years of debate our local park initiated two forms of control. One was "bait n shoot" by police officers at night over corn piles. Highly effective but costly and required the park roads, which are heavily travelled, to be closed. The other remedy was allowing "certifed" bow hunters access to the park in designated areas. Both of these measures have reduced the herd in this park from over 1000 to around 250. Accidents, and there were human fatalities, are significantly reduced too. There will be a high mortality this winter for the deer due to the harsh winter with lots of snow pack and little forage for the deer. Sadly these deer will suffer and nobdy will benefit from the donated venision.

Paul Mon

Fred Agnir
02-05-2003, 12:14 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> Paul,

Feel free to bring your rifle to thin out the herd. <hr /></blockquote>

Yikes!!! That's a state park those deers are in. That park ranger who told us to stop using the spotlight wouldn't be too thrilled.

Fred

CarolNYC
02-06-2003, 04:20 AM
Thank-you! I honestly did not know that singles were open!
Have a nice day!
Carol:)

CarolNYC
02-06-2003, 04:33 AM
Ha Ha Ha Cuechick,
I must agree that single elimination is a tough tournament,but when you make it through the field, its a great feeling!:)Either expo is great-once again,it depends on your intentions and finances-I would like to wish everyone good luck in whatever event they enter!
Carol:)

Alfie
02-06-2003, 09:09 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote CarolNYC:</font><hr> Thank-you! I honestly did not know that singles were open! <hr /></blockquote>It's true you must be a BCA member. $25 takes care of that.

You have a nice day too, Carol.