PDA

View Full Version : getting serious

02-04-2003, 06:06 PM
This is my first post on billiards digest. I have been reading posts since I discovered this website about a week ago. I have an olhausen 7 foot table that is my father's. We've had this table for about 2 years now . I've been playing ever since, I used to only play maybe 1 or two games a month and shot around when I was bored. As of about two months ago I really started to ramp up my playing , now I spend two or three hours a day to just shoot a game of 8-ball by myself. Is this a bad way to practice? also, if you could drop some excersises on this post I would be in your debt. I'm also thinking about maybe getting a new cue. Is this a good or bad idea ? Please leave me a post. Thanks

Tom_In_Cincy
02-04-2003, 08:20 PM
Practicing playing solitare 8 ball is ok.. but you need to get a good practice drill book. P. Capelle's book on 9 ball is good.. R. Byrnes books are great.

The stroke is the most important part of your game.. without a stroke.. you can't improve past being a rail banger.

snipershot
02-04-2003, 09:41 PM
There's nothing wrong with practicing that way, it will only make you better, although it is a 9 ball game I find playing the "ghost" is a great way to gain control of the CB, but like Tom said, get a good book with lot's of drills in it and then you'll be set.

bigbro6060
02-04-2003, 11:00 PM
as Tom said, it's all about the stroke

I start off with technique and stroking work. This includes just hitting the cueball up and down the centre of the table, ensuring it comes back to hit my cuetip. Also straight in pots getting longer and longer . The technique work side of things mainly consists of potting very easy pots but paying attention to every technical aspect of the stroke. From grip to bridge to followthrough to staying down on the shot. Maybe twice a month i bring the video camera and videotape myself making a heap of different shots from every possible angle. You can seee any flaws very easily when watching the tape back.

then it's onto drills. Whether potting drills or position drills, vary it up from day to day. Today i did draw drills. I set up shots and marked spots exactly where i wanted to draw the whitey back to.

then it's onto games, whether fargo, solitarie games or whatever

Lastly it's breaking practice. I leave this to last cos i love breaking and can break and re rack and break for literally hours even when tired.

overall i practice around 3 hours a day on weekdays and 6 hours a day on weekends.

Voodoo Daddy
02-05-2003, 12:07 AM
YOU need to spend a lil money first. Find and purchase "99 Critical Shots" by Ray Martin <about $20>. Its been around since dirt {So has Ray} and in my opinion is the best book to learn from. The rest of the books strive to be as good as his. Second, you need to get the videos "No Time for Negatives" by Jimmy Reid <dont know the price but worth whatever he asks>...again in my opinion the best learning tool video has to offer. The book first, be paitent and accept what the book offers you. Trust Voodoo, many do....

Voodoo~~~has the knowledge of several world champions, minus the talent!!

02-05-2003, 07:04 AM
I have to agree about the 99 critical shots of pool. It has been my bible. I have yet to find book for pool that has helped me more.

I would also record as many pool events that are televised. From studying video of today's pros I have learned alot of things that I would have never of thought. Espn it seems tends to show matches of pretty much the same people but that helped alot too, in terms realizing how consistent one must be in form to be good.

And of course, it helps to play people that are significantly better than you. This is said often, but can never be stressed enough.

=k=
02-05-2003, 07:59 AM
hello tyler, you have found a good home.. i have learned a great deal about pool on this site. lots of help here.. i think the drill part of your question has been covered, as to the new cue.. yes i would start out in the 75 to 100 dollar range if that isn't to painful. after you get pretty good you can then try out other cues to see how they feel, you can do a search on this site as to opinions on which is the best cue, and where to find them.. i tried several cues found the weight and balance and maker then went to ebay and bought them.. k

02-05-2003, 08:05 AM
Tyler, for an excellent sub-$100 cue (if that's as high as your range goes) try a Dufferin. You can get their Sneaky Pete for around $60-$70 and it's the best cue I've ever seen in that price range.

I had one before I bought my first Meucci Original about 15 years ago. I loved it, but unfortunately loaned it out and never got it back.

David

bluewolf
02-05-2003, 01:29 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> Practicing playing solitare 8 ball is ok.. but you need to get a good practice drill book. P. Capelle's book on 9 ball is good.. R. Byrnes books are great.

The stroke is the most important part of your game.. without a stroke.. you can't improve past being a rail banger. <hr /></blockquote>

I also like socrates book 'Black Belt Billiards'.

blu