PDA

View Full Version : The Cassman Vs. The Boiler

Chris Cass
02-04-2003, 11:33 PM
Hi everyone,

About 4 days ago K-Mon says, "Hey, the furnace isn't working. I feel the floor is cold. Well, I'm all messed up but I know, Gas, Electric, Electronic Devices and I also have a book on the Boiler in question.

So, I get a rug throw it down, get my tools and meter. Well, the thing was calling for heat and I wasn't getting any spark from the igniter. So, I turned the thermostate to the lowest setting and unplug the spark plug wire from the module. I sqweezed my hands in there between the burners and disconnected the igniter plug and also with the gas valve turned off disconnected the pilot gas tubing.

Well, turned out the boot of the plug wire going to the spark igniter was cracked and ready to fall apart. So, I sent K-Mom up to Lowes for a new one. Well, the guy at Lowes says, they don't carry one and I should "Duct Tape it." I said wait, that's my line. I also asked K-Mom, if it was Merle she talked to? We laughed for ten minutes but, no.

I've always heard "Duct Tape" was conductive? Besides, This is my boiler for gawd sakes. K-Mom, being sick with a bad case of the flue, I was reluctant but asked if she'd go to Auto Zone and buy me a coil wire. She did but she's in a bad way and wish I had it in me to go myself.

Worried the boot off the coil wire wouldn't with stand the voltage of the spark but it would do for a nite of warmth. Granted, we have a small 3 bedroom house with a addition that has a wall mounted space furnace that heats the house ok too. We weren't freezing, just added a blacket or two more is all.

So, I got back down, installed the boot and cleaned the igniter. Then, tested all grounds and fired that puppy up. The spark was sounding but I quickly remembered I forgot to turn the gas on. I quickly, turned down the thermostate. Well, yelled at Heide to. I don't do anything quickly lately. LOL

After, turning on the gas and purging the pilot line I again had K-Mom to turn up the thermostate to call for heat. Now, it didn't budge. Now, aggravated knowing I could run some tests on the module by the schematic diagram in my book. Gave up for the night. I was in too much pain to get down again.

To make a long story shorter. I called a furnace guy and he replaced the module and at $245. I felt I was more sick. I guess, when it rains, it poors. Atleast we laughed about old Merle again.

Regards,

C.C.~~a day in the life of the Cassman. Buzzard Luck.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

snipershot
02-04-2003, 11:51 PM
By the sounds of it you would've rather been playing pool hey /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif, my dad always told me life was about solutions not problems and when you think about it it's pretty true. BTW this Merle character seems like quite the odd guy, what's the story with him?

Voodoo Daddy
02-04-2003, 11:54 PM
{Voodoo comes out of the shadows, where he has been lurking to ask} Whats a boiler? Where do I go to see a furnace? These things used to stay warm...{shaking head while he adjusts the A/C in house to 75}/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Voodoo~~~Born in NY, home of "da furnace". Raised in Miami, home of the 6 Ton A/C system!!

Chris Cass
02-05-2003, 12:14 AM
Hi Voodoo,

I'm laughing with you till K-Mom reads this. Your $hits weak buddy. hahahahaha

Regards,

C.C.~~knows better, Voodoo knows all. Beleed dat hahaha Martin something. LOL /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Barbara
02-05-2003, 03:47 AM
Oh Chris,

It only took $245 to fix your heat problem??? Times that by about 10 and 1/2 times and we got ourselves a new furnace this year!! Ouch!!

We have a wood-burning stove but it can't do everything!!

Barbara~~~thinks CC got gouged, but at least the fam's warm.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

And Voodoo, don't go there with the AC... why you...you... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kato
02-05-2003, 07:48 AM
Somebody explain a furnace to me please? Is that one of those things you shovel coal into? I know when it gets cold (60's or so) I just turn down the A/C.

Kato~~~second question. What's a basement?

jjinfla
02-10-2003, 07:12 PM
How's your heat pump hanging in there Kato? They sure don't work too well when it dips below 35. Jake~~~don't like this cold weather.

Kato
02-10-2003, 11:06 PM
They usually freeze up around 50 and shut themselves off (the newer ones). No heat pump for me though Jake (no swimming pool or hot tub). Maybe later. I still don't know about those furnace things though.

Kato~~~~72 degrees and slightly humid in Ft Lauderdale.