PDA

View Full Version : Chinese New Year. It Ain't What It Used To Be.

TomBrooklyn
02-05-2003, 01:09 PM
Well Chinese New Year was February 1 this year. It was the first day of the Year of the Ram, some say Sheep, some say Goat. It is the Year 4700 by the Chinese calendar, a new century. I was actually in a Chinese owned and operated pool hall that day on the edge of Brooklyn's ChinaTown and didn't even realize it was Chinese New Year.

Only several years ago, this oversight could not have been made. The Chinese were allowed to celebrate thier cultural holiday in New York City, and the joyous noisy celebration replete with fireworks and men in dancing dragon costumes could hardly be overlooked.

There are four obvious reasons for this squelching of cultural celebrations.

One, the attitude that risk of injury should be reduced to zero. The Chinese traditionally celebrate with lots of fireworks which admittedly can result in injury.

Two, the attitude that people are not responsible for themselves and the Government must protect people from themselves. The people are not being allowed to decide for themselves if they want to take the admittedly existant risk of using fireworks.

Three, the rediculous tort laws that tend to assume people are not responsible for themselves and those with deep pockets should be forced to pay astronomical sums of money to those who get injured while using thier products.

Lastly, the movement to treat everyone "equally". This overreaction to the elimination of past discrimination again ignores and tramples on cultural diversity.

Happy New Year.

nAz
02-05-2003, 01:17 PM
yeah Tom it suxs now, i miss watching the fire works and getting some Chinese food in lower manhattan. i cant believe the PH owner didnt know what holiday it was, i mean living in that niegborhood.

9 Ball Girl
02-05-2003, 01:23 PM
I saw a little parade last year in Chinatown in lower Manhattan and it was very nice considering the lack of fireworks. There was confetti paper all over the place last year and I was like a little girl running around trying to catch 'em all. We wound up going to one of our favorite restaurants where I had the waiters laughing 'cause in Cantonese, I was asking them for "my little red envelope".