PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice - Putting a table in Garage?

Photoguy
02-05-2003, 01:45 PM
I am think about putting a pool table in an unfinished gagage (no heat, insulation or sheetrock - your basic garage). Anybody have any experiece with his? How do the tables hold up? I am not a beginning player, yet I am not a pro who can tell the difference in how the cloth plays with changes in the weather, air conditioning or time of day, etc. How about the "all weather" pool tables that are advertised to be put outside, how do these play in comparison to a real nice indoor table? In the past, I have had an Olhausen that was inside the house. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Popcorn
02-05-2003, 02:15 PM
Do the best you can to seal it up, and put in a dehumidifier. You may also get a hygrometer, ($20. Radioshack) to monitor the humidity. By all means put something on the floor if it is concrete. It is not only better on your feet, but will protect a ball jumped off the table. You should have air if you can. If the garage is large, you can buy some plastic sheeting used as drop clothes, about 3 mill from home depot. (very cheap to buy) Partition the room with it so you only have to air-condition and dehumidify a small part of the room. It works very well for this purpose and does not require any building or messing with the garage itself. You are a lucky guy, a lot of people don't have a place to put a table. Before I removed a wall in the house, I had a table in my garage and that is exactly what I did. It worked great for more then 10 years. My setup was so nice and I kept the table perfect. I had many guys match up in my garage. It is about 100 feet from the house and more then once I would wake up in the morning and find guys gambling in the garage, who had been playing when the local poolroom closed. This ended when I got married though. My house stopped being the local pool and poker hangout. It is fun now to think back to those days.

L.S. Dennis
02-06-2003, 01:43 AM
I too put a table in my garage. It sounds like the basic garage that you're are talking about concrete floor and all.
Definetly put some carpet down, you might want to wait till you find somebody changing the carpet in their house and when the carpet people put the old carpet out on the street go out and snag it befor they take it away. If you don't have any heat or insulation they balls will run a little slow in the winter time but who cares you got a table in your house! My cars have been outside for years, it's a question of priorities!

Rich R.
02-06-2003, 06:06 AM
If your home and garage are relatively new, the floor will be a problem you will have to deal with. More than likely, the floor of the garage was built with a pitch to it, going down in the direction of the garage door. If it is anything like my garage, you will either have to make extreme adjustments to the table, which will not give you the same perceived table height as you walk around the table, or you have to level the floor.
I considered putting a table in my garage, but decided against it. If you want to really make it a livable, year round space, it may require more work than it is worth. An add on to the house may be more cost effective, with better results. Plus, then you still have your garage in bad weather./ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Popcorn
02-06-2003, 10:16 AM
I don't know about that. It would be easy to make a nice carpeted area around the table from 1 inch plywood shimmed to level. The table should be leveled on the floor and not on the plywood walk area. Sounds better then a $40,000 addition to the house. Either way, the value of having your own table if you are a player, can't be over stated. I have seen tables in rooms where one end was 18 inches from the wall and pretty much all you could do on it was drills and the owner was happy to at least have that. Everybody would love to have a fantasy billiard room, but most would take anything just to have a table to hit balls on. I will give you an idea how valuable having a table can be. One year my wife was making something called Mango leather with the mango's from our trees. She was using the pool table to pour it out on waxed paper and cool. This went on for several weeks. I put a 2x4 across the table by the side pockets so I could roll around a few balls on half of the table and not have it hit the candy she was making. It was fun, all I did was simple drills on half the table. I was not going to the pool room much at all. I saw no drop in my game at all. Even having only half a table to practice on was beneficial and parts of my game even went up due to the unique practice I was doing. Given a choice of having or not having a table at home, I will choose having a table even if not under the best of circumstances. I always laugh when I hear someone say they would not want a table because it is no fun playing at home by yourself, or they would never use anyway, not if they are a pool player.

eg8r
02-06-2003, 12:15 PM
Growing up, I can remember playing on our pool table in the garage. We did not have any carpet or heating/cooling or dehumidifier or any other amenities. The table is still in great condition although it has been moved inside. I don't remember any ill effect due to weather, but when it was raining we only opened the garage door a 1/4 of the way. I grew up in Florida and it was hot and humid, so I am sure we just were used to the effect humidity had on the table. It was not like we different conditions to judge. It is always hot and always humid. We never had a ball break after hitting the concrete however that was a risk my father took.

The only issue I can remember was getting the table level (the garage is sloped downward away from the house). The mechanic that put it up the first time used some shims to level the table but after time that did not work and the weight of the table must have pushed the wood in some or something because the table was not level. My father had his welding shop make us two little feet out of some 1/2 in steel square tubing. The table has been level ever since.

eg8r

Wally_in_Cincy
02-06-2003, 12:43 PM
The Brady Bunch put their table in the garage and they even left the door open, so he should be ok.

hope this helps,

Wally in the Natti

eg8r
02-06-2003, 02:01 PM
Should be just fine. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r