PDA

View Full Version : sorry to keep begging, but...

02-05-2003, 03:36 PM
I am a senior psychology major at Wheeling Jesuit University. I am doing my senior thesis on competition and desperately need participants who shoot competitive pool. It should be really fun!! All you have to do is go to www.geocities.com/keenerthesis/ (http://www.geocities.com/keenerthesis/) you fill out a simple form and try to describe what is going through your head as you shoot your game (which is shown using photographs of an actual game). Please help me!

Rod
02-05-2003, 03:54 PM
Keener, I think everyone here is well aware of what your asking. Asking it several times however starts to get annoying. I went over to your page and I met, what months does your birthday fall between? Well I stopped there, who cares where my birthday falls? What does that have to do with pool? If your mixing astrological signs in with game strategy, I'm not interested. Put it all up front and explain what's happening. If people respond, then they do. If not, then they don't.

~~~ begging won't help, hope this helps

The Teddy J
02-05-2003, 04:07 PM
Well, Ms. Keener, I took your test. I think that any responses you get will be completely bogus because you show unrealistic situations. I hope nobody chooses the patterns you took, so therefore, any feelings, thoughts, and actions would be completely made up.

But, I would be interested to know how others answered. Maybe at least part of your hypothesis is correct.

Good Luck,

Teddy J.

bluewolf
02-05-2003, 06:19 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote keener:</font><hr> I am a senior psychology major at Wheeling Jesuit University. I am doing my senior thesis on competition and desperately need participants who shoot competitive pool. It should be really fun!! All you have to do is go to www.geocities.com/keenerthesis/ (http://www.geocities.com/keenerthesis/) you fill out a simple form and try to describe what is going through your head as you shoot your game (which is shown using photographs of an actual game). Please help me!
<hr /></blockquote>

I know how it is to be a student and even a psychology student because I was one of those once. I do however feel that you are going about this the wrong way. I did not see your original post but presume you have asked about this before.

Personally I would not want to be doing this thesis because it will be hard to get the data you need. Of course that is your decision. If you persist do not think the internet is a good place. Would be better and get more from pounding the pavement going to poolhalls and other events where folks will more than likely be happy for your to interview and film them.

blu

bluewolf
02-05-2003, 06:31 PM
Even though I am not as good of a player as what you may be looking for, I did look at the survey but couldnt really do it. I mean I do not feel anything or think thoughts other than there is the table, there is the balls, there is the order I want to shoot them in etc, but I dont do actual thinking--it is more like looking and seeing without thinking...

Dont know if that helps...dont mean to be rude or anything..

blu

02-05-2003, 10:36 PM
Good guess but, this study has nothing to do with your b-day. I cannot tell you everything that I am looking for before you do the study or it will bias your answers. There is nothing tricky going on. Just try it.

CarolNYC
02-06-2003, 04:40 AM
MAKE THE SHOT AND WIN!
Carol

TomBrooklyn
02-06-2003, 05:00 AM
You shall reap what you sow.

bluewolf
02-06-2003, 08:03 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote TomBrooklyn:</font><hr> You shall reap what you sow. <hr /></blockquote>

That is true Tom but could you explain what you mean. Keener is not wrong to want to get info for her theses, just is going about it the wrong way.

blu

Wally_in_Cincy
02-06-2003, 08:21 AM
I did it and I thought it fairly interesting. However your research method is flawed. Due to the anonymity of the participants you will get a lot of bogus responses as someone stated. It's kinda like those phone polls the TV and radio stations have, totally unscientific.

Kato
02-06-2003, 09:17 AM
Mark is not a good player and whomever set these patterns up has a lot to learn. I disagreed with almost everything that was done.

I did participate in the desire to help though. A couple of questions.

Mark is a respected player with a winning record. I'm guessing I'm supposed to be intimidated? No way.

Kato~~~went 3 for 3 last night against much better competition than Mark.

Kato
02-06-2003, 09:19 AM
I guess that was one question.

Wally, I was honest as I could be without actually being there.

Kato

Leviathan
02-06-2003, 09:29 AM
Well, Ms. Keener is learning that humans can be difficult test subjects! I always liked working with plants--plants don't argue with you, and if they don't perform you can yank 'em out and feed 'em to the experimental rabbits.

But seriously, why not give Keener a break? She's a fellow pool player, after all, and it doesn't cost a nickel to give her a hand with her project.

--Duke Mantee

Ken
02-06-2003, 09:32 AM
Now you've gone and spilled the beans, Kato.

Kato
02-06-2003, 09:51 AM
Rod, where your birthday falls determines who you play. There is a man or a woman depending. No big deal.

Kato

Fred Agnir
02-06-2003, 09:53 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote keener:</font><hr> www.geocities.com/keenerthesis/ (http://www.geocities.com/keenerthesis/[/url])[/url]
<hr /></blockquote>
This is ... oh, hell. Everyone should just take the damn questionaire. It filled my life with great pleasure. Mandy was a total babe. I couldn't play my game because she was so smokin' hot.

Fred

TomBrooklyn
02-06-2003, 10:23 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluewolf:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote TomBrooklyn:</font><hr> You shall reap what you sow. <hr /></blockquote>That is true Tom but could you explain what you mean. Keener is not wrong to want to get info for her theses, just is going about it the wrong way. <hr /></blockquote>I meant that what one gets out of life is a result of the sum of ones thoughts and actions. What did you feel was wrong with keener's approach?

beerwolf
02-06-2003, 11:09 AM
This is not bluewolf and I want to say right at the beginning that to the best of my knowledge we are not even distantly related (I certainly hope not). I would simply like to give my impressions of Keener's approach.
First I think she should correct the typographical errors in the test. Next I have a problem with the questions. All I can say about my actions is that I sit quietly and watch the game when my opponent shoots. After I shoot my action is to move on to the next shot. I don't see how anyone is going to get useful data from that question.
I don't see much difference in how I feel and what I am thinking. I would assume that she now has to try to fit all the answers into pigeon holes to get any way of analyzing the results. I think several multiple choice questions would have been better since they would be far easier to score and easier on the participant.

something like: when your opponent made that shot did you feel 1. disappointed 2. your opponent should have missed 3.your oppponent was lucky 4. opponent is skilled 5. not skilled.....whatever. Give the participant the range of answers that might be expected and then score the test to find out differences.

I think the test is a good first step but should be refined.
BW

bluewolf
02-06-2003, 12:13 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote TomBrooklyn:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluewolf:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote TomBrooklyn:</font><hr> You shall reap what you sow. <hr /></blockquote>That is true Tom but could you explain what you mean. Keener is not wrong to want to get info for her theses, just is going about it the wrong way. <hr /></blockquote>I meant that what one gets out of life is a result of the sum of ones thoughts and actions. What did you feel was wrong with keener's approach? <hr /></blockquote>

To keep posting about it. She said she had posted about it before.

blu

bluewolf
02-06-2003, 12:18 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote beerwolf:</font><hr> This is not bluewolf and I want to say right at the beginning that to the best of my knowledge we are not even distantly related (I certainly hope not <hr /></blockquote>

WHEW!!! I am so glad we arent related. I do not even drink beer, much less wolf it down /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

blu

02-06-2003, 12:42 PM
First of all thanks to the ones who have completed the survey. Second thanks for all the advice, I really enjoy feedback (even if it is negitive). But just to defend myself alittle I do know what I am doing. I know that it would be easier to have multiple choice questions, but I enjoy (and think it is better for this type of research) to use open ended questions. It is ok if you do not have something to say for each of the shots. Some people have responded with a lot to say and a lot have had little to say. What ever... I am just trying to get honest answers. Every study has its limitations which will be discussed in my paper (that is why I value feed back it is easier to talk about what all you have comneted on then to try to think of possible limitations. So anyway PLEASE JUST TRY IT.

Rod
02-06-2003, 01:02 PM
Well Ms Keener you have spunk, I like that. I'll go over and give you my thoughts. Please answer this, am I suppose to just commment on my end of the game, or comment for both players?

02-06-2003, 01:08 PM
You can comment on any thought that enters your head in the "thought box" and any emotion in the "emotions box" ect... on your game, your opponents game, thoughts on god, whatever would be going through your head in an actual game.
THANKS! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rod
02-06-2003, 01:23 PM
Oh God, don't let me down now! Please let me make this shot it's for a grand. LOL /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Ok Thanks I got it.

02-06-2003, 03:18 PM
Thanks for trying it out!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

02-06-2003, 06:23 PM
Has anyone been getting error messages when they try to take the survey?

Rod
02-06-2003, 06:36 PM
Keener,
I didn't get an error message. I did accidently hit my back button on my mouse at the end. It appeared to have erased my text. I hit forward on my mouse hoping it was in the catch and was sent through. I hope it did I spent quite a while on my thoughts. Let me know what happened.

Rod

MikeM
02-06-2003, 06:41 PM
Actually Wally those polls are VERY scientific. We've got a few statisticians here who might be able to elaborate.

MM

02-06-2003, 06:47 PM
Thanks for your support! I thought I was being scientific, but did not want to have to argue about it.

02-06-2003, 06:50 PM
Do not worry it went through. I only know which one is yours because of all the thought you put into it. Thanks for the advice about the photos. I know they were not the best approach, but it was the best way I knew how at the time. I am on my way out, but am interesting in learning more about wei table.

Rod
02-06-2003, 07:02 PM
Here is a link for a down load. I keep mine on the desk top but there is a source for opening up another web page while on the net. http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/~wei/pool/download/pooltable2.exe

This should include help files ect. I'll try to find the other link, if not someone will post it. Just ask and someone will help. good luck

Rod
02-06-2003, 07:06 PM
Ok here is one your browser will open. http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/~wei/pool/pooltable2.html

The download file in my above post is for windows.

Wally_in_Cincy
02-07-2003, 07:35 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote MikeM:</font><hr> Actually Wally those polls are VERY scientific. We've got a few statisticians here who might be able to elaborate.

MM <hr /></blockquote>

Sorry Mike, I should have been more clear in my statement. I was referring to the phone polls like this:

"Do you think we should cut Saddam's gonads off?"
Call 555-1000 for "yes"
Call 555-2000 for "no"

Rod
02-07-2003, 10:56 AM
Wally,
I called the 555-1000 number, it said out of service. What's up? LOL /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

curt
02-08-2003, 08:41 AM
Keener, I got halfway through your test and had to quit. It just is not real enough in the patterns you ask me to play for me to give you honest thoughts or feelings. It's difficult for me to respond to a shot that I wouldn't shoot. Sorry!

TomBrooklyn
04-11-2003, 05:47 PM
Keener,
How are you making out with your thesis? How about an update for all the people who volunteered to help you? Thanks, Tom

04-12-2003, 09:07 PM
I'll be happy to help, when I am running racks, here is what is going on in my head, absolutely nothing, it is totally blank, zero, nada, everything is turned off, and old Fast, tells me it is the same with him when he is running racks also. Wonder Dog