PDA

View Full Version : Mental Fatigue...

02-05-2003, 10:34 PM
I was playing 9 Ball with my friend Josh tonight. Josh and I are about dead even as far as skill goes, so we get very competitive with each other;-). We played for about three hours. Looking back on the night, I noticed that I was playing very "streaky", winning 3 or 4, then losing 3 or 4. I was thinking about what was going on inside my head at those times and it occurred to me that when I was winning, I was "pumped up" and a little angry over the previous losing streak. Then, I would win a few and that fire in my belly would go away. My question is, how do I keep that fire lit consistently instead of just a flicker sometimes and a raging inferno others? I hope I made sense... any help is appreciated. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

bigbro6060
02-05-2003, 11:39 PM
I think it's a given that in any sporting contest of long duration, there will be mental highs and lows. Take tennis for example or golf, all players have their little lapses

I think the most important thing is to know when you are going through a mental low and have mechanisms in place to get you out of the rut

I'm not too bad in competition with mental lapses. In practice though i often get mental fatigue after a few hours

Wally_in_Cincy
02-06-2003, 08:17 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SneakyT:</font><hr>

....My question is, how do I keep that fire lit consistently instead of just a flicker sometimes and a raging inferno others?....<hr /></blockquote>

If you figure that out you can make a lot of money.

I also have this problem. Maintaining high concentration for hours can be exhausting and, for me, is dang near impossible. I just try to rest my brain when I am in the chair. My brain gets a lot of rest /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif