PDA

View Full Version : Attitude

dave
02-06-2003, 09:51 AM
I'm entering a slump and need to do some serious work on my mechanics once again. The funny thing about it is that I'm not discouraged or frustrated about it. I'm actually somewhat excited because I have learned over the years that there is a jump in skill level or knowlege at the end of the experience. I'm actually anticipating the work involved in rededicating and focusing my attention. This is a completely different attitude than the one I had in earlier years and I think that mindset will make the process easier and quicker.Just a thought.

socrates
02-06-2003, 12:12 PM
Your attitude determines your altitude.

Like Thomas Edison is credited with saying after the 1000 attempt to make an electric light bulb failed.

"I have not failed, I have merely discovered the 1000th way it will not work."

Good luck.

dave
02-06-2003, 01:47 PM
Progression, regression, plateau etc.; the cycle goes on and on, with the sequence varied and repeated. Each stage offers something if your paying attention. Who cares if you status in the pecking order changes for awhile; improvement follows each step of the way.

Fran Crimi
02-06-2003, 03:39 PM
Great attitude, Dave. It's often hard to stay positive when you're working through something that involves a certain degree of pain and suffering. I know, it happens to me too.

Let us know how it all turns out for you and how this experience differs from the other's you've had.

Fran

Mikey
02-06-2003, 06:32 PM
Hey man . I'm going thru the same thing. 2 years ago I stopped playing from March till Nov and it killed my game. This year I started playing in July, but I'm still not back to form. I generally play in tourneys in the winter months and I'm getting killed by guys that I would normally beat. Anyway my attitude is still good and I'm practicing everynight. I know it will come back to me. I've always went by PERFECT PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT, but as of yet i haven't been able to find my perfect stroke. Anyway I'm only hanging in there and trying to get ready for V.F. Oh Yes , one more thing , if you play golf , DON'T STOP PLAYING POOL. THANKS FOR LETTING ME VENT.

Rod
02-06-2003, 06:50 PM
Dave,
I think you might be right about that. Sometimes we lose focus on our objectives and need to re-group. Your attitude will go a long way in making the process easier not to mention more enjoyable. Keep that mindset and I'm sure you will see improvement. Being able to identify where the problems are is key. Once corrected they just need a little fine tuning.

snipershot
02-06-2003, 09:39 PM
You got the right mindset to improve your game constantly, worrying about the solution to your problem not the problem itself will fix your shot quickly, some people get down or frustrated and stay in slumps for weeks at a time, with this attitude I'm sure your shot will be improved on what it was before in no time.

bigbro6060
02-07-2003, 01:44 AM
I'm happy enough with my regular playing stroke but it is my break stroke which is giving me the shits at the moment

why ?

consistency ! I can hit breaks which are close to perfect, 3+ balls in, whitey in the middle, nice spread (8 Ball break) but i can't do it all the time and it is really pissing me off!

i am trying to put it in perspective. I should see this break as an Ace in tennis and the regular club player can't hit aces every serve