PDA

View Full Version : 9-ball diamond vs. 8-ball triangle

Kato
02-07-2003, 08:41 AM
For racking 9-ball.

One of my good friends (pool beginner who just got his own table) asked me about the 9-ball diamond and of course I went off on a diatribe about my percieved evils concerning this rack. What I would like is for you guys to give me a list of your pro's and con's so my friend can come to a conclusion. My opinions are extremely biased.

Just helping a friend.

Kato

Jay M
02-07-2003, 08:46 AM
cons:

Uncomfortable to use if you are used to a normal rack.
Usually made so small that you can't remove the rack without disturbing the balls

Pros:

None that I know of

Jay

Fred Agnir
02-07-2003, 08:49 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr> For racking 9-ball.

One of my good friends (pool beginner who just got his own table) asked me about the 9-ball diamond and of course I went off on a diatribe about my percieved evils concerning this rack. What I would like is for you guys to give me a list of your pro's and con's so my friend can come to a conclusion. My opinions are extremely biased.

Just helping a friend.

Kato <hr /></blockquote>

Tell your friend that a 9-ball diamond rack is fine

Pro: It's great for racking 7-ball.

Con: It's terrible for racking 9-ball.

Hope that helped.

Fred

9 Ball Girl
02-07-2003, 08:58 AM
Cons:

You must have a steady hand to remove the rack as to not disturb the balls.

Uncomfortable IMO

Pros:

It looks good when you're using it in a poolroom in front of ball bangers! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

bluewolf
02-07-2003, 09:07 AM
At one time I thought that I wanted the 9-ball rack. We went to a billiards store and looked at the various ones. The 9 ball racks did not seem to rack them as tight as a good triangle rack.Also as others have said, it was hard to take off without disturbing the balls.

Pros. I do not know about that.

blu

Vince S.
02-07-2003, 09:21 AM
I was over a buddies house on Tuesday who has one of these. I never had a chance to use one til that night. It only took one try for me to know I didn't want to use it ever again.
As already stated, they are made so small that it's hard to remove the rack without disturbing the balls.
But also, and I don't know if this was just his rack, but the balls did not rack tight. there was a gap between the #'s 2&amp;3 balls or the #'s 7&amp;8 balls. If I got one area tight the other would pop out and vise versa.
My vote is against the 9 Ball rack!

Vince S.

Troy
02-07-2003, 10:02 AM
There's no reason to spend the extra money on a diamond rack. the all-purpose triangle works just fine.

By the way, what is an "8-Ball Triangle"?? Is it different from a One Pocket or Straight Pool Triangle ?? ..... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Troy

Kato
02-07-2003, 10:14 AM
Just for that little dig Troy I think I'll recommend the Sardo to him. By the way, it's been awhile. Do you still feel the Sardo is a bad rack Troy? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kato~~~left himself open for the shot to the temple.

Troy
02-07-2003, 10:22 AM
I just couldn't resist the little dig Kato.

I'm all for the Sardo Brothers spending tons of sponsorship money. However, the SARDINE GIZMO was, is, and always will be a terrible device.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr> Just for that little dig Troy I think I'll recommend the Sardo to him. By the way, it's been awhile. Do you still feel the Sardo is a bad rack Troy? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kato~~~left himself open for the shot to the temple. <hr /></blockquote>

Eric.
02-07-2003, 10:26 AM
Cons? Yeah, I think that 9 ball rack is the biggest con. It's tough to get the balls below the 9ball tight, which will give your opponent a few free 9 balls. No thanks.

Don't really know any pros.

Eric

heater451
02-07-2003, 10:32 AM
There is simply no reason to use one, over the regular triangle. . . .

I have one--came with the table set--and have used it maybe 3 times. I also find removing the rack akin to playing "Operation"--and if you put your fingers between the rack and the balls, it takes a few unnecessary seconds to free them sometimes.

I really don't know why they exist--kinda like why slotted screws still exist, after the Phillips came out. . . .although, I would imagine that slots are cheaper to make--but that can't be applied to the rack issue.

=================

SteveFromNY
02-07-2003, 11:02 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote heater451:</font><hr> There is simply no reason to use one, over the regular triangle. . . .

I have one--came with the table set--and have used it maybe 3 times. I also find removing the rack akin to playing "Operation"--and if you put your fingers between the rack and the balls, it takes a few unnecessary seconds to free them sometimes.

I really don't know why they exist--kinda like why slotted screws still exist, after the Phillips came out. . . .although, I would imagine that slots are cheaper to make--but that can't be applied to the rack issue.

================= <hr /></blockquote>there is just no point to ever using one of those. To my curiousity I used one last week and ended up throwing it across the room nearly knocking someone's leg after trying 5 times to get a tight rack.

Jay M
02-07-2003, 11:08 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Vince S.:</font><hr>
But also, and I don't know if this was just his rack, but the balls did not rack tight. there was a gap between the #'s 2&amp;3 balls or the #'s 7&amp;8 balls. If I got one area tight the other would pop out and vise versa.<hr /></blockquote>

You had the rack upside down...

No BS, really!

Jay M

Vince S.
02-07-2003, 11:43 PM
Out of curiosity, and ONLY out of curiosity, I'm going to try the rack again. I'll try it both ways on one side, then flip it over and try it both ways on the other side. I doubt the outcome will be any different. And regardless of the outcome, my vote is still for the Triangle rack.

Rich R.
02-08-2003, 07:50 AM
A number of years ago, after completing construction on a room and installation of a new pool table, I found that I hated the rack that came with the table. Being in the middle of a buying frenzy for the new pool room, I ordered a triangle and a diamond rack from Mueller's. They are both good quality oak racks and there is very little difference racking for 9-ball with either one. I don't seem to have the problem of getting the rack off the ball that many have mentioned. I get a good rack and there is plenty of room to remove the rack. I guess I just got lucky. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Although I don't have a problem with the diamond, I do find myself racking 9-ball with the triangle a lot of the time. Just habit, I guess.

02-08-2003, 09:38 AM
Rich, I agree with you -- the quality of the diamond rack makes all the difference. I use the oak diamond rack that came with my Brunswick Centennial kit, and it works great. I never liked diamond racks before this one, and really had no intention of ever using it, but while goofing off one day I used it and was surprised. Now I find myself grabbing the diamond rack when playing 9-ball. It racks just as tight as the triangle rack, and I have no trouble removing it either.

David