PDA

View Full Version : Jacoby cues... tell me what you know about them...

02-07-2003, 10:09 PM
I'm about to pull the trigger on a couple... tell me about them.

Quality, how they hit, etc...

Thanks,

02-07-2003, 10:35 PM
You should do a search, because I know I have asked this question before.

I recently bought a Jacoby cue and am very satisfied with it. In terms of looks, it is a very beautiful cue. Very well built, and the wood is high quality. As far as balance, it is very front weighted, which took me a while to adjust to. I like the balance now that I've put some playing time in on it. It has a fairly stiff hit. It breaks wonderfully. I have sent a couple questions to Jacoby in regards to getting a second shaft, and customer service via email has been very good and timely. Overall, I would recommend Jacoby cues.

They do come with lepro tips, so if you don't care for this tip I would order another one, or ask them to put something else on it. I didn't think of this, and am still stuck playing with the lepro(which I don't particularly like) until I have a little extra cash to buy a multi-layered tip.

Nostroke
02-08-2003, 12:03 AM
I had one-Looked great, hit great but twice the deflection of any other cue i've owned. Check that out before you buy.

02-08-2003, 12:12 AM
TWICE the deflection? Seriously? Anybody else... I'm getting scared...

02-08-2003, 01:36 AM
I don't buy into the "twice the deflection" of any other cue used by this poster. I have not seen any noticeable amount of cue ball deflection in comparision to other cues that I have played with. In fact, the Jacoby I own is probably the best playing cue I have had the oppurtunity to play with. It did not dissapoint me in any fashion. The cue which boasts to reduce cue ball deflection the most, Predator, well I would take a jacoby cue(or any other custom cue) over a predator any day. But that is just my opinion. I don't like predator cues. Of the custom cues which I have played with(Josey, Prather, Olney) I prefer a Jacoby. This is not to say there aren't better custom cues, just that I haven't played with a better cue for the money paid. There is no cue which is going to greatly improve my playing ability, and I prefer the particular play of the Jacoby I purchased. However, I would like to check out Schuler cues, and if poverty ever escapes me I would also like to try a Lambros cue(as I have heard amazing things about them.)

In anycase the deflection I have noticed on the Jacoby is as minimal as any other cue I have played with. I would advise playing with any cue prior to throwing down lots of cash. I know this is not always possible(I had not played with a Jacoby cue prior to purchase,) and if this is the case... I only have good things to say about Jacoby cues.

Ralph S.
02-08-2003, 01:44 AM
Hello. I can tell you that you won't be disappointed with them. I "pulled the trigger" as you say on one myself at the DCC. The quality is way up toward the top and they hit great. Very solid hit and very playable cue. I would recommend them.
Ralph S.

randyg
02-08-2003, 08:14 AM
I have owned a Jacoby Break Cue for 5 years...great hit...randyg

SPetty
02-08-2003, 08:19 AM
I have met Dave Jacoby several times, and he's a great guy. I've never shot with one of his cues, but they are very beautiful.

But the real purpose of my post is to let you know that he makes the best flushable chalk holders I've ever seen! (Just a little dig at Spiderman... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif )

WaltVA
02-08-2003, 08:38 AM
A friend has one he got at the U.S.Open a couple of years ago and he loves it. I've hit a few with it and it's got a good, solid hit. Doesn't seem to be any problem with excessive deflection - as a matter of fact, my friend has a Predator shaft for another cue of his but uses that only as a break stick. He calls the Jacoby his "rest-of-my-life" cue.

Walt in VA

Cueless Joey
02-08-2003, 03:04 PM
I'd get one with the radial pin, phenolic collar (not the heavy stainless steel) and purpleheart handle if I needed one. You'll get a cue around 18 to 19 oz this way without any metal weight bolt and still get a great balance.
AAA quality Birdseye maple forearm would be nice.

Chris Cass
02-08-2003, 03:40 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr>
But the real purpose of my post is to let you know that he makes the best flushable chalk holders I've ever seen! (Just a little dig at Spiderman... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif )
<hr /></blockquote>

Hi SPetty,

funny you should mention that. LOL While cleaning the bathroom I looked down and to my surprize, there it was. So, I did what any CCBer would and mailed it back to him. hahahaha

Regards,

C.C.~~getting strong and ready to fight... /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Chris Cass
02-08-2003, 03:48 PM
Hi Dave_M,

I can tell you the finishes they put on their cues are awesome and extremely strong. It's scratch resistant and being a personal friend of Brandon' if there's any problems? I'll hook you up the best I can. Dave is also very nice. They also have tons of different tips if you care for anything? They've gottem. Although, I've never had the pleasure of hitting with them, I know a few people who love them. Good luck with the cue. Whatever cue you do buy, I hope you stay with for awhile. It means one constant you can have in this game. LOL

Regards,

C.C.~~ /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Elvis
02-08-2003, 05:19 PM
Soygordo, I have been recently looking at Jocoby as well. Can you tell us how you felt about the Olney you had?

SpiderMan
02-08-2003, 05:23 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr>
<hr /></blockquote>

Hi SPetty,

funny you should mention that. LOL While cleaning the bathroom I looked down and to my surprize, there it was. So, I did what any CCBer would and mailed it back to him. hahahaha

Regards,

C.C.~~getting strong and ready to fight... /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Damn! I'd been certain it would show up in the soup in our cafeteria at work.

SpiderMan

woody
02-08-2003, 06:07 PM
I have a Jacoby and love it. It has a solid hit with very little deflection. I had repair work done (from my own stupidity) and their customer service and workmanship was top notch. You will be getting a beautiful cue at a reasonable price. Good Luck! By the way I forgot, I believe Jenette Lee now shoots with one.

02-08-2003, 10:10 PM
I have only shot a game or two with an Olney cue, so I can't comment on it to in depth. At the pool hall I used to go to in my hometown, alot of the regulars would have the owner the pool hall place the orders for their cues(I guess he could cues at discount prices, as he sold cues at the hall.) I just walked in
as someone was recieving an Olney sneaky pete cue. He let me shoot a little with it.It was a great playing cue, and the craftmanship was very good. It had a wood to wood joint, and was not front heavy like my Jacoby. The Jacoby has a steel joint, and I wanted that as the wood joint on my old cue has taken a beating.

In anycase, the Olney shot extremely well. The sad thing is, the person who purchased the cue has since gotten a predator shaft for it. I don't understand the reasoning for laying down money for a non-production cue than spending even more money for a production shaft. Oh well, to each their own. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

02-09-2003, 01:39 AM
There are currently 4 Jacoby cues for sell on ebay right now. Three of them are being sold buy "colea1a." I have bought off of him before, and he seems to be pretty reputable seller. All the cues from him appear to be from Jacoby B series(you can check their website and find out for sure.) The other cue, I have had no experience with the seller. However, this cue is a Jacoby sneaky pete with no reserve(the current going price is like 120$), so someone might be able to get a great deal on it. If anyone is interested just get on ebay and do a search for JAcoby.

02-09-2003, 01:55 AM
I saw those cues on e-bay. None of them (or any of the other Jacobys I found for sale on-line) really appealed to me though... so I'm going straight to Jacoby to get 'em like I want 'em. Believe it or not, the two I want are even more affordable than most of the Jacobys I have found on-line! Bonus!

I'd say the response here is overwhelmingly positive... I'm gonna go for it. Thanks guys.

02-09-2003, 02:25 AM
Good luck with getting your cue. I ended up getting my Jacoby for the same reason as you. I asked people how they felt about Jacoby cues, and recieved at most three complaints out of about fifty(the others raved about they are great cues.)I think they are one of the best playig cues for those who want a great players stick at an affordable cost.

Just out of curiosity, how long of a wait does Jacoby have in making custom cues?

02-09-2003, 01:36 PM
I'm waiting on an email regarding the wait... I will let you know... I hope it isn't TOO long.

Soyogordo... I searched here and I didn't find a whole lot of info regarding the Jacoby... did you ask the question here or was it on another forum... or am I searching wrong?

Thanks,

Dave

Ralph S.
02-09-2003, 07:16 PM
Dave actually already has some cues made up in advance for when he sets up a dealer table at shows and tourneys. I would say the wait wont be long at all unless you are going with your own custom specs. Hope this helps.
Ralph S.

02-10-2003, 01:11 AM
I did the search myself, and found little. I thought I had gotten more feedback here. But my memory is worse than a goldfish.

You may want to run searches on other msg boards. I would go to playpool.com, as they have a survey question which lists some of the pool msg. boards online.