PDA

View Full Version : Can Pinto Beans Be Frozen?

TomBrooklyn
02-08-2003, 12:12 AM
I put a bag (a pound?) of dried Pinto beans on the stove. They really blew up. I got a lot of beans now. I had to take some out of the pot before they were done becuase the pot wasn't big enough. It's too late at night to call my mother and I have beans all over the place. Can I finish cooking some of them in the microwave, and can they be frozen? =Tom

Rod
02-08-2003, 12:45 AM
Tom,
I don't know of any reason why they can't be frozen. You can cook them in a micro wave but you might want to use a little lower setting. Put them in a glass, can't think of the name, and cover with a lid, don't let the water get low.

Rod
02-08-2003, 12:55 AM
Caserole sp? dish for the container. LOL where has my memory gone!

TomBrooklyn
02-08-2003, 04:25 AM
OK, I froze a couple of pints. What a mess. I got beans and bean juice all over the place. Lol.

Wally_in_Cincy
02-08-2003, 10:30 AM
Mash 'em up with some cumin, touch o' garlic maybe, some salsa and you got refritos.

<font color="blue">Edit:</font color>

http://www.foodtv.com/foodtv/recipe/0,6255,17155,00.html

TomBrooklyn
02-08-2003, 12:51 PM
Thanks for the recipe Wally. I was actually just wondering if I could do anything else with them besides straight up. I don't even feel like eating any more beans for a while and I got about 10 servings left. Maybe it's like shopping, you should never cook when your hungry. Huh?

Wally_in_Cincy
02-08-2003, 01:19 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote TomBrooklyn:</font><hr> Thanks for the recipe Wally. I was actually just wondering if I could do anything else with them besides straight up. I don't even feel like eating any more beans for a while and I got about 10 servings left. Maybe it's like shopping, you should never cook when your hungry. Huh? <hr /></blockquote>

Actually I found out something in my misspent youth. You should never grocery shop after smoking pot /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

If you did not season the beans with meat they should keep well for a few days. If they have meat in them I would not go for more than 4 days. I don't know if you can freeze them. I've never tried.