PDA

View Full Version : best pool books

Carlton31698
02-08-2003, 10:57 AM
Rank books on pool(pool stories)
1 The Hustler
2 The Color of Money ( The book in nothing like the movie totally different story)
3 Playing off The Rail
4?
5?
Any other ideas?
/ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
02-08-2003, 11:42 AM
"McGoorty" by Robert Byrne

02-08-2003, 12:27 PM
Just yesterday I ordered both "McGoorty" and "Playing Off the Rail" from Amazon. Anxious to read them both!

Hopster
02-08-2003, 06:49 PM
Those are two great books : Playing off the rail and Mcgoorty. Mcgoorty i read in 1979 and still browse thru it at times.
Its cause of that book that i tried three cushion and found it an enjoyable game.

Bob C
02-08-2003, 07:40 PM
My favorite ( the first 3/4 of the book anyway) is Rags to Rifleman, Then What?, a biography of Buddy Hall.

Bob C~~As always, straight in, on the rail.

02-08-2003, 10:54 PM
My two favorites are Mastering pool by George Fels and The Green Felt Jungle.....and I've read them all..

Tom_In_Cincy
02-08-2003, 11:09 PM
"Playing off the Rail" is my favorite.
I've read them all. The number two book is not even close.
#2 "McGoorty"
#3 "The Hustler"

JPB
02-08-2003, 11:52 PM
Hustler was a vastly better film than Color of Money, but I thought Color of Money was the better book. If they had made the movie true to the book and begged Gleason to do it in his last days as his last film it would have been fantastic. Tom Cruise could then have been scrapped.

Anyway, in addition to the excellent books McGoorty and Playing Off The Rail already mentioned, a not-strictly-pool book that is fantastic gambling reading is Jon Bradshaw's Fast Company. There is some discussion of pool in a couple of the segments, and there is a chapter on Minnesota Fats that is very good and not particularly favorable to him. It portrays him very skillfully, but with some subtlety and understatement as a lonesome phony. If you can find a copy it is one of the best books on gamblers ever written. Bradshaw was a very good writer.

02-09-2003, 12:52 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote poolbookguy:</font><hr> My two favorites are Mastering pool by George Fels and The Green Felt Jungle.....and I've read them all.. <hr /></blockquote>

02-09-2003, 02:30 AM
Don't forget about "Byrne's book of great pool stories." edited by Robert Byrne. This is a good place to start, as it has lots of billiard related stories from a wide variety of authors.

Fred Agnir
02-09-2003, 08:27 AM
In no particular order:

Billiards. Hustlers and Heroes - GRISSIM John (out of print)

Introduced the world to Efren Reyes. Great chapter of direct dialog between Jersey Red and Gene Nagy playing some one-hole. And another when Minnesota Fats actually wins something.

Book of Great Pool Stories - Byrne (Mueller's)
This includes old Billiard short stories from other countries.

McGoorty - Byrne (this comes in three or more different titles)

Winning One-Pocket and Shots, Moves, Strategies, have plenty of anectdotes to keep people cheery.

The Wonderboys - story of pool in its golden years in New England, much of it has been on AZBilliards.

Plus all the others that people have mentioned.

Fred &lt;~~~ still hasn't read The Hustler or TCOM

Fred Agnir
02-09-2003, 08:32 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> In no particular order:

Billiards. Hustlers and Heroes - GRISSIM John (out of print) <hr /></blockquote>

And speaking of which, I just visited Amazon.com and their used listing showed this book. There were 8 of them, ranging from $25 - $100. I snapped up the $25 one.

Fred

Carlton31698
02-09-2003, 08:38 AM
Thanks I'll be looking for the books evertone posted about

cycopath
02-10-2003, 12:53 PM
Anyone ever read Grady Mathews' book "Bet High Kiss Low"? I thought I'd check it out.

Tom_In_Cincy
02-10-2003, 01:09 PM
I read Grady's book about 3 years ago, just after it came out. I have to admit, its one of the worst written books I have ever read. It needed an editor.

The stories were not all pool related, some of Grady's wild side of sex were just too much. Not that I am against that kind of reading.. to each their own.. but knowing Grady for the last 15 years from pool tournaments and matchups, it was a strecth to imagine him doing anything but playing pool.

If you take out the sex and the bad grammer, and the lack of editing, its a pool book,, with pool stories about players from the last 40 years.. I'd say its worth the $15

SecaucusFats
02-10-2003, 07:31 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Carlton31698:</font><hr> Rank books on pool(pool stories)
1 The Hustler
2 The Color of Money ( The book in nothing like the movie totally different story)
3 Playing off The Rail

My choices would be:

1.) McGoorty-A Pool Room Hustler by Robert Byrne (as told to him by Danny Mc Goorty.

2.) The Hustler by Walter S. Tevis

3.) Playing off The Rail by David McCumber

4.) Byrnes Book of Great Pool Stories by Robert Byrne

5.) The Color of Money -- Walter S. Tevis

Carlton31698
02-11-2003, 07:58 AM
I've got to buy McGoorty-A Pool Room Hustler by Robert Byrne (as told to him by Danny Mc Goorty) everone seems to like it.

02-11-2003, 06:59 PM
the "new" cover from the re-re-lease or so from a few years ago is pathetic, someone should be fired for that. Ok maybe not fired, but it is terrible.

honky

cycopath
02-11-2003, 07:22 PM
I thought the exact same thing when I got mine.

02-11-2003, 07:27 PM
if i can recommend a shot making book, Chris Raftis'
"teach yourself pool" is pretty darn good, shows many more than 99 critical shots.

Book seems difficult to find however.

honky

Ralph S.
02-11-2003, 07:45 PM
Most of everything I know about this game has been self taught with the exception of one session with Scott Lee. While at the DCC, Tom in Cincy recommended anything by George Fels when he found out I was thinking about buying some books. I must say that after reading them that they are very good and why Tom highly recommended them. The titles of these books are "How Would You Play This?" and "Pool Advanced-techniques for mastering the game" Both books are fantastic and I just want to pass on my recomendation of them to anyone who wishes to purchase and read them.
Ralph S.

JackPot_George
02-13-2003, 03:29 PM
I cannot believe that nobody has mentioned: "The Monk"
Probably the best book to get you back on the inner side of poool.

02-15-2003, 12:48 AM
The greatest pool book ever written IMHO, is Billiards as it should be played, By Willie Hoppe, the greatest cueist, Player &amp; star of all time. It was published in l941, I have a lst edition copy, it sold for $2.75, that was an outrageous price at that time, in our money today, that must have been $40. The book was l3l/2" x l0", &amp; is filled with tons of valuable data that can still be used today. Just looking at the many hand bridges he used, makes it a worthwhile study. The grip on the cue, is dated, but many things in the book are timeless. This is a book about 3 cushion billiards, and I am a 3 cushion player, and many of these things only helps your pool game. Copies of this book are around, it's a poor photo copy reduced to 8l/2x11", so it's better than nothing. If you find a copy, jump on it. I have books in my library starting in 1827, and it is as extensive as Byrnes. With all that I have, this one is my favorite. Fast Larry www.fastlarrypool.com (http://www.fastlarrypool.com)