PDA

View Full Version : Diamond light measurement

SPetty
02-09-2003, 07:31 AM
If anyone has a Diamond light, could you please measure where the connections are at the top of the light and give me some idea of where I need to put mounting hooks on the ceiling? How far apart are they?

If I can't make the chains perfectly vertical, would it be better to make them lean in or lean out? Like this / \ or like this \ / ?

And while you're at it, what are the outside dimensions of the table beneath the light? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks in advance.

cheesemouse
02-09-2003, 08:10 AM
SPetty,
You will have a detailed instructions on assembly and postioning with your light. I suggest you keep the light parts and the table parts from getting mixed up. You will probably find it easier to have the table in place before you do the light. The critcal measurement is the distance from the bottom of the light to the playing surface. I would also suggest the four corner suspention of the light and to have a turn buckle on each chain or whatever you use to suspend the light. It is one of those monkey with a football things so I would have some extra hands on board when you do the light...Heres another suggestion. Vac all the light parts especially the grids or you will be picking small particals off the playing surface forever.

02-09-2003, 10:53 AM
If your room is large enough to give you a little leeway in table position, I'd recommend hanging the light first and then positioning the table under the light during setup. Hanging such a large light as the Diamond over a 9' table will be very awkward, especially for only 1 or 2 people.

However, if the room is a tight fit, then priority of position would go to the table. I would advise, in that case, to at least have a heavy Naugahyde table cover on the table, or a few blankets. This will protect the cloth from the particles cheesemouse mentioned, and also protect the bed and rails from nicks caused by an errant falling part. Better yet, if you're really paranoid (like me) and have a 4x8 sheet of plywood or drywall handy, place THAT on top of the cover or blankets (but NOT directly on the table!).

David

Rod
02-09-2003, 11:16 AM
\ /

02-09-2003, 11:48 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> If anyone has a Diamond light, could you please measure where the connections are at the top of the light and give me some idea of where I need to put mounting hooks on the ceiling? How far apart are they?

If I can't make the chains perfectly vertical, would it be better to make them lean in or lean out? Like this /\ or like this \/ ?

And while you're at it, what are the outside dimensions of the table beneath the light? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks in advance. <hr /></blockquote>

actually, i suspect that light wants to have a 4-point hang. it's a big box and you'll want one chain at each corner, straight up to the ceiling. are they bringing chain with them or do you have to get it? if it weighs much, it probably needs to screw into the rafters and that may take you off vertical on the chains but so what? use 2-3" turnbuckles and you'll get it level.

you are well advised to get the mounting points up ahead of time to avoid working over the table.

in the diamond table thread, greg published his cell # and that of the guy that's really running things. call one of them and talk to 'em about it.

mine is a sorta copy of a diamond and we hung it before the table came in. i know you're taking delivery of both at the same time but i don't know if diamond will hang the light for you. they may not. none of my mechanics want anything to do with a light; especially not mine.

good luck.

dan

02-09-2003, 11:57 AM
My light's mounting holes are 28" x 48". I knew I was getting the table and light as my basement was being finished so I had 5/16" eyebolts attached to cross braces that were attached to the floor joists above. I also installed a 5/16" eyebolt in the light's cross members, replacing the hardware that Diamond supplied. Each corner is suspended by a turnbuckle and S-hook combination that joins the two eyebolts together.

This is a very solid mounting method but it took 4 guys to put it up. The light isn't that heavy (about 120 lbs.), so one person can support each end (two is better), but you will need a person to attach the hooks while the light is held in place.

When my table was delivered I had already determined the best location for it and we centered the table under the eyebolts in the ceiling. After the table was set up, and the installer had left (he won't install the light), my buddies and I installed the light.

SPetty
02-09-2003, 06:00 PM
Thanks, Monte. That's pretty much what I'm trying to do and the info I was looking for. Those measurements sound kinda small for the big light, but makes sense when you think about it.

Thanks everyone else for the pointers. I want to have everything ready to go, and it is easier to put up the four points that the light will hang on before the light and table get here. The ceiling is made from i-joists, and I will mount a big hook through a 2x4 and secure it between the i-joists (and I'll do that four times - one for each corner).

I'm trying to figure out exactly where the table will be, and then get the hangers ready for the light exactly centered over where the table will be.

It should be "easy" enough to hang and adjust the light, but it seems like it would be easier to get the light up before the table gets installed. The hooks on the ceiling are higher than 10 feet, and it's easier to put a big ladder where a table isn't!

Because of the height of the ceiling, I suspect that the light isn't going to come with enough chain anyway (if it even comes with chain) and I'll have to rework it after it gets installed anyway.

Thanks for the suggestion to call the Diamond folks. Duh! /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif