PDA

View Full Version : Guilt vs Pride Affecting Performance

Sid_Vicious
02-09-2003, 11:51 AM
Ol' Sid may be crossing a sanity line again with this one, but here goes. I see a personal correlation between my home/personal duties and pool performance, meaning that if I think I have loose ends I've put off and go to play that my game seems, at some level sabotaged. On the other hand, when the yard is mowed, the kitchen slick and clean and the bills all paid and mailed out I seem to thrive at the PH. I suppose that life is that way in general, but if this is true then it seems to me that a player could actually orchestrate events preceding a competition to supply him/her with that "complete" feeling of worthiness, resulting in all the positive play possible.. Oh well, it may just be me...sid

cheesemouse
02-09-2003, 12:38 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> Ol' Sid may be crossing a sanity line again with this one, but here goes. I see a personal correlation between my home/personal duties and pool performance, meaning that if I think I have loose ends I've put off and go to play that my game seems, at some level sabotaged. On the other hand, when the yard is mowed, the kitchen slick and clean and the bills all paid and mailed out I seem to thrive at the PH. I suppose that life is that way in general, but if this is true then it seems to me that a player could actually orchestrate events preceding a competition to supply him/her with that "complete" feeling of worthiness, resulting in all the positive play possible.. Oh well, it may just be me...sid <hr /></blockquote>

Sid,
Your not nuts. Here's my personal experience: For the last few years of my dearly departed mothers life I was her caregiver and rarely left her alone for more than three or four hours. When I would just have to go to a pool tournament for my own personal sanity I would be so pre-occupied with whether she was OK that there was no possible way to play good pool or stay sober. For me I have to have all my ducks in a row before my 'A' will float to the surface.

SpiderMan
02-09-2003, 08:37 PM
Hey Sid,

Hope that's not a universal truth, otherwise I'm doomed to mediocrity. I'm never caught up on the domestics. Heck, I haven't balanced my checkbook since Carter was in the White House. Maybe if I got a maid and a personal secretary my best game would surface?

SpiderMan

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> Ol' Sid may be crossing a sanity line again with this one, but here goes. I see a personal correlation between my home/personal duties and pool performance, meaning that if I think I have loose ends I've put off and go to play that my game seems, at some level sabotaged. On the other hand, when the yard is mowed, the kitchen slick and clean and the bills all paid and mailed out I seem to thrive at the PH. I suppose that life is that way in general, but if this is true then it seems to me that a player could actually orchestrate events preceding a competition to supply him/her with that "complete" feeling of worthiness, resulting in all the positive play possible.. Oh well, it may just be me...sid <hr /></blockquote>

snipershot
02-09-2003, 10:51 PM
Interesting, I don't think your nuts, maybe you feel better shooting "worry free", maybe it's physchological I'm not sure. The thing is for me, there is no world outside the pool table once I start a game, I have one focus and one focus only and that's winning.

Rod
02-10-2003, 12:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Heck, I haven't balanced my checkbook since Carter was in the White House. <hr /></blockquote>

Spidey,
HA HA HA I don't know if your kidding or not, but I don't remember who was in the White House when I last balanced mine! The numbers are about right and I haven't bounced a check since sometime in the 70's. LOL

Rod

landshark1002000
02-10-2003, 03:20 AM
Hi Sid:
I've noticed the same thing. Part of the mental game IMO.I don't go for the psych explanations but the biology makes sense.
Left brain notices undone chores, thoughts lead to feelings,right brain notices feelings, screws up your game.
--Ted in Phoenix

Gerry
02-10-2003, 06:16 AM
I've noticed those same feelings in myself,and I'm damn glad they are there.Just think if they were'nt and the "pooljunkiewannaberoadplayer" ruled the roost!...I'd have no home life to take care of:)....Gerry

Jimmy Mendoza
02-10-2003, 12:47 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> On the other hand, when the yard is mowed, the kitchen slick and clean and the bills all paid and mailed out I seem to thrive at the PH.
<hr /></blockquote>

Move to a hotel and you'll be a world beater (no lawn, maid service, and only 1 bill)! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

SpiderMan
02-10-2003, 03:38 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> &lt;/font&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr /&gt;
Heck, I haven't balanced my checkbook since Carter was in the White House. <hr /></blockquote>

Spidey,
HA HA HA I don't know if your kidding or not, but I don't remember who was in the White House when I last balanced mine! The numbers are about right and I haven't bounced a check since sometime in the 70's. LOL

Rod <hr /></blockquote>

Nope, not kidding. When I think of all the time I spent chasing $2 mistakes, and they always turned out to be my mistakes .....

Now I just have my entire paycheck direct-deposited into my checking account. I look at the statement each month to be sure two paychecks went in there. Every few months I just transfer the overage to money market.

SpiderMan

Sid_Vicious
02-10-2003, 03:49 PM
"Hope that's not a universal truth, otherwise I'm doomed to mediocrity. I'm never caught up on the domestics."

Look at it this way Spiderman...you and I have a wealth of "feel good" duties to last a life time if it is indeed helpfull for our performance to tackle and complete one prior to an important competition. The doomed stage might be when we are all caught up! yea, like THAT'S ever gonn happen ;-) sid~~~we've been to each other's house, neither of us is probably ain't winning any Home &amp; Garden "Home of The Month" Award real soon

02-10-2003, 04:16 PM
You're not the only one. I know I perform better with my mind not cluttered with, as you put it, loose ends. So tie 'em up and start whippin' some butt. I'd do weel to do the same.

SpiderMan
02-10-2003, 06:20 PM
You've been inside my house? OH MY GOD! Did you pick the lock? Please don't sue me if you tripped over a bandsaw in the living room or a motorcycle trailer being painted in the kitchen /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

SpiderMan

Sid_Vicious
02-10-2003, 07:03 PM
Your idea of housework is about the same as mine...to sweep the room with a glance." sid~~~dual bulldozers for us

cycopath
02-11-2003, 03:23 PM
HA! Reminds me of my bachelor days, when you could find motorcycle fairings and stock exhaust pipes under the dining room table.
Ok, I'm going to break into song here...
(as sung by Edith and Archie Bunker)"Those were the daaaays..."