PDA

View Full Version : "Joe Procita"

L.S. Dennis
02-10-2003, 12:11 AM
Here's another little memory from my mispent youth at Sequioa Billiards in Redwood City Ca. during the early sixties.

Joe Procita was to give an exhibition at Jimmy and Dorothy Wise's billiard room in Redwood City Ca. and not having ever seem a professional player in those times naturally all us kids were crazy with anticipation.

The exhibition took place with Dorothy playing Procita and losing as is the custom when these exhitions take place.
Dorothy's husband Jimmy had one of the best strokes I'd ever seem (and that still holds true today)but unfortunately due to his age and his failing eyesight he couldn't see a lick. After Dorothy's match, Joe stepped over to the billiard table and asked the crowd of they had any particular 3-cushion shots they'd like him to attempt.
No one had any, until Jimmy came out from behind the counter and set up a complicated shot. Joe looked it over and said,"That's very tough. I don't think it can be made, but I'll try". He tried four times and failed. Jimmy asked, "Do you mind if I try it myself?" Joe graciously said, "Sure". Jimmy made the shot on the first attempt. He had an amazing stroke!

This is a true story and one that I'll always remember.

#### leonard
02-10-2003, 08:18 AM
Gloversville Joe Procita lived in the next city near Amsterdam NY home of Hall of Famer Frank Taberski. I think that is where he developed his play watching Frank play.####

L.S. Dennis
02-10-2003, 10:28 AM
Interestting, I suspected that he came from that part of the country, so that makes sense. I also remember reading somewhere that he had a wife that always nagged him! Not sure how true that is though.

#### leonard
02-10-2003, 12:56 PM
I do remember something about his wife but it is too long ago. I know Joe Canton knew Joe well. Just a point of interest Kirk Douglas was raised in Amsterdam as a young man and Fonda,Ny was named after Henry Fondas family, they had 5,000 acres there. ####