PDA

View Full Version : Chris Cass update

SPetty
02-10-2003, 03:53 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Karatemom:</font><hr>The procedure went a little longer than they anticipated, but it did go well. He's in the ICU for a couple of days then off to a regular room. He looked pretty good for going through what he did. They've got him on a continuous IV for pain so he'll be pretty groggy most of the time.

I can't thank you all enough for all of your concern and support. It's really nice to have friends like you.

Heide &amp; family <hr /></blockquote>
Heide posted on another thread, but I thought this was important enough to bring to the top of a new thread...

silverbullet
02-10-2003, 04:20 PM
Thanks Susan!!! I am so glad that Chris is doing well!

bw

Rod
02-10-2003, 04:40 PM
Heide,
Glad to hear the operation went as expected. It's kind of good to hear it took a little longer. I always think it's more conscientious on the doctors part. I'm sure you may not feel that way waiting at the hospital though. I hope all goes well from here. One thing for sure Chris won't be doing any break dancing real soon! LOL /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Take care of yourself and get a good nights rest. I'm sure your wearing yourself a little thin.

Rod

Karatemom
02-10-2003, 05:12 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> Heide,
Glad to hear the operation went as expected. It's kind of good to hear it took a little longer. I always think it's more conscientious on the doctors part. I'm sure you may not feel that way waiting at the hospital though. I hope all goes well from here. One thing for sure Chris won't be doing any break dancing real soon! LOL /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Take care of yourself and get a good nights rest. I'm sure your wearing yourself a little thin.

Rod <hr /></blockquote>

Actually, Rod, it's not a good thing that it took longer. It took longer because they found that the cancer spread to his stomach. They thought it was confined to his esophagus, but no, had to make our lives just a little more hellish. They took out portions until it tested benign, then finished their work. I've been so upset since, don't know which way is up. I did call his oncologist when we got home and asked him point blank, what does this mean? Of course, he won't know anything until the pathology report comes back, and even then, I'm sure they'll have to do some more testing to make sure it didn't spread anywhere else. I can only assume that this surgeon was smart enough to biopsy the other surrounding organs and tissues.

Anyway, yes he is doing very well, but right now, it's still uncertain about exactly what happens next.

I wasn't going to post this, but I couldn't let everyone think that EVERYTHING was peachy. Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you guys are going to be my crutch for the next week.

Heide

HOWARD
02-10-2003, 05:25 PM
Heide,

I am truly very sorry about the complications.
I hope from the bottom of my heart that Chris comes through
this in the best shape possible.

Very best regards,

Howard

Barbara
02-10-2003, 06:18 PM
That's what we're here for Heide.

Whatever you need.

Barbara

jjinfla
02-10-2003, 06:24 PM
Heidi, As much as you don't want to hear the doctor say that the cancer spread to the stomach it is not that uncommon for cancer of the lower esophagas to also include part of the stomach. Modern technology can now do wonders and the human body is resilient. If need be, the whole stomach can be removed. Sounds strange, but that is the operation my wife's cousin had 7 years ago and he is still with us. You might want to check with the doc to see what kind of diet Chris will be on and check with the hospital dietician and see what he/she recommends. Take a notebook with you when you go to the hospital and take copious notes. Nurses names, medications, what they tell you, what Chris tells you. My wife spent 16 days in ICU and every now and again she reads the notes that I took because she has absolutely no recollection of about 20 days she was at the hospital. It was a bad time for her and her mind just decided that it was not worth remembering. Keep the faith and hopefully Chris will pull through this. Jake

Rod
02-10-2003, 07:12 PM
Heide,
I'm very sorry to hear of the complications. Hopefully tomorrow will shed some new positive light. I'm glad you let us know. That's what were here for, support you any way we can. I can only imagine what you must be going through. I liked Jake's suggestions plus it adds a positive tone.

Rod

Karatemom
02-10-2003, 08:26 PM
I have heard of people having their entire stomach removed, with a "special" diet afterwards. Prior to the operation, drs said that he could eat normally when all was said and done. However, things have changed since and have a call in to the surgeon to ask him a few questions. I won't get a wink of sleep tonite until he calls. I am hoping that it is in his stomach because of the location of the primary tumor and has not spread to any other organs or tissues.

You offer a lot of hope for me, Jake. Thank you.

Heide

Karatemom
02-10-2003, 08:32 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> Heide,
I'm very sorry to hear of the complications. Hopefully tomorrow will shed some new positive light. I'm glad you let us know. That's what were here for, support you any way we can. I can only imagine what you must be going through. I liked Jake's suggestions plus it adds a positive tone.

Rod

<hr /></blockquote>

Jake, plus a few friends that PM'd me, have given me a brighter side to look at. Definitely what I need for the moment. I have been on an emotional rollercoaster for 2 1/2 years now and am wondering when and if it will ever end. I need a @#$%ing break already, LOL. Well, tomorrow is a new day and hopefully will hear some good news by then.

Heide

Karatemom
02-10-2003, 08:35 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> That's what we're here for Heide.

Whatever you need.

Barbara <hr /></blockquote>

I try and gather most of my strength from within for Chris and Christ's sake, but lately, feel like I'm running on E. Might need a little help for myself. I will call if need be. Thanks, friend.

Heide

Karatemom
02-10-2003, 08:38 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote HOWARD:</font><hr> Heide,

I am truly very sorry about the complications.
I hope from the bottom of my heart that Chris comes through
this in the best shape possible.

Very best regards,

Howard
<hr /></blockquote>

He will if I have anything to say about it. He's got support from the best friends in the world, the CCB.

Heide

Troy
02-10-2003, 09:37 PM
Hang in Heide. With luck, the worst is over.
We are all pulling for Chris, and you.

Troy

Karatemom
02-10-2003, 10:07 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Troy:</font><hr> Hang in Heide. With luck, the worst is over.

Troy <hr /></blockquote>

I keep saying that it can't get any worse, then it manages to get worse. I'm going to have to stop saying that. Enough of my friends here have boosted my spirits enough that I'm beginning to have hope again. What would I do without you guys?

Heide ~ grateful, thankful, etc.

snipershot
02-10-2003, 11:40 PM
It is great to hear that Chris's surgery went well, though this is not the end of it (only time will tell) the Cass family has made it a long way. Good luck to Chris, Heide, and Christ.

Were here for you.

Gayle in MD
02-11-2003, 05:08 AM
Hi friend, and we are with you dear. Try to set a few hours aside for yourself, soak in the tub, and chill out for a few. Pleaase give Chris my regards. I am thinking of you all everyday, and hope that all will go well for Chris, he's a great guy...
Gayle in Md.

Rich R.
02-11-2003, 05:26 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Karatemom:</font><hr> you guys are going to be my crutch for the next week.

Heide <hr /></blockquote>
Feel free to lean on us whenever necessary.

Take the advise of others and get some rest for yourself. Also, remember to eat healthy, not a lot of fast food. Chis is going to need your help and you won't be able to provide that help without rest and healthy food.

Give Christ a hug too.

bluewolf
02-11-2003, 12:12 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Karatemom:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Troy:</font><hr> Hang in Heide. With luck, the worst is over.

Troy <hr /></blockquote>

I keep saying that it can't get any worse, then it manages to get worse. I'm going to have to stop saying that. Enough of my friends here have boosted my spirits enough that I'm beginning to have hope again. What would I do without you guys?

Heide ~ grateful, thankful, etc. <hr /></blockquote>

Heidi, from personal experience I know that there is no worser thing than that roller coaster ride. At times like that I felt weak and my friends had to give me strength. At times I gave them strength. That is what friends are for.

I feel strongly that Chris will come out of this well and that you too will be in good shape.But while he is sleeping most of the time,please do try to get as much rest as you can.

blu

Karatemom
02-11-2003, 01:07 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluewolf:</font><hr> Heidi, from personal experience I know that there is no worser thing than that roller coaster ride. At times like that I felt weak and my friends had to give me strength. At times I gave them strength. That is what friends are for.

I feel strongly that Chris will come out of this well and that you too will be in good shape.But while he is sleeping most of the time,please do try to get as much rest as you can.

blu

<hr /></blockquote>

Thanks, Laura. Last night was the first nite in a long time that I actually got some good sleep. I've been de-smoking the house, and around 10:30 decided that that was enough, plopped down on the couch, and didn't wake again til about 4 a.m.

I'm going to see him today around 4:30 and will let everyone know if there is any change.

Heide

Jon from MN
02-11-2003, 02:27 PM
Heidi being diagnosed with a terminal illness myself I know what your going through. There is nothing we can do to help except offer our upmost support and prayers. We all are in GODS hands I hope GOD watches out for you also Heidi as CC will draw his strength from you so be strong. Our prayers are with you GOD Bless Jon from Mn

Brent
02-11-2003, 06:21 PM
HI. At first I wasnt sure if posting under this topic was such a good idea cuz everyone here are so close to Chris and Im just a kid from ex-soviet union. Well anyway Id also like to wish the best to Chris and all the people closely related to him cuz when I first came to this forum Chris was the first person who gave me good advice and promised to hook me up with anything pool releated cuz they dont sell many things out here. So u guys take care and hold ur fingers crossed that the doctors got the last of that cancer guy.

Best wishes
Brent

Karatemom
02-11-2003, 08:25 PM
Thank you, Brent, and Jon. Slowly, his condition is improving. There are a few complications, post-surgery, but can't worry yet til we get some test results back and talk to the dr.

You guys are the greatest. Never knew we had so many friends. Thanks for the well wishes. We need all we can get right now.

Heide