PDA

View Full Version : Cass update #2

Karatemom
02-11-2003, 10:03 PM
He had a bad night last night, and this afternoon wasn't so good. However, he is much better this evening. After some back pain, hyperventilating, nasty chest tube drainage, severe cotton-mouth, and catching pneumonia (yes, I'm the guilty party there), he's been given some pain meds, muscle relaxers, and antibiotics to help with the pain, anxiousness and pneumonia. They can't do anything about the cotton-mouth as he is not allowed to drink or crunch on ice chips or water. They don't want anything to come in contact with the suchers in fear that it might tear or rupture. However, if he is a good boy, and does better tonite, they could let him have some ice chips by tomorrow. As for the chest tube, they feel that they might have been feeding him too much. As of late this afternoon, it was much better. If it doesn't clear up, however, they might have to go back in and sucher some more. It also appears that he will be in ICU until at least Thursday. Guess they want to make sure that he's as close to 100% as possible before they let him in a regular room.

Doctor will see him tomorrow and have results of an xray and blood tests that were taken today. Still no word on whether the cancer has spread anywhere else.

Will keep everyone updated. PM me if you like. Talking with friends, or typing in this case, seems to help me cope. Thanks again to everyone for your thoughts.

Heide ~ 6 days til he comes home!!!

dddd
02-11-2003, 10:27 PM
thanks for the update,
i will stay in touch

dennis

Rod
02-11-2003, 11:44 PM
Hi Heide,
Well lets hope tonight is much better. That's one problem with operations, it creates a list of other problems. I've never been very fond of mixing a lot of drugs with such an ordeal. However sometimes it is just necessary. I imagine his mouth feels like it's going to get cracks inside from being so dry. If I know Chris he is probably protesting but is to weak to cause much of a problem.
How is it your fault he has pneumonia? Did you lock him out of the house the night before the operation? /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
I imagine tommorrow is going to be a big day, not that the others leading up to this haven't been. I hope you sleep well and get a good nights rest.

I posted here because I thought it might be better for others to read any replies.

Hang in there girl,

Rod

Troy
02-12-2003, 01:21 AM
Thank you for the update Heide. I can't imagine what it takes for you to tell all, but I for one appreciate it. By the time you see this, I hope you had a good night's rest.

Tell Chris he has a ton of good wishes and prayers going his way !!!

Troy

Rich R.
02-12-2003, 05:05 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Karatemom:</font><hr>they feel that they might have been feeding him too much. <hr /></blockquote>
Heide, when Chris is feeling better, make sure you remember to tell him that they were "feeding him too much". I'm sure he will appreciate that. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
No matter how serious the situation, there is always little humor.

It seems that Chris is in good hands. Make sure you get your rest and some good nourishment. You will need your strength when he comes home.

Thanks for keeping us posted. We do appreciate it.

bluewolf
02-12-2003, 07:47 AM
Heidi,

Thanks for getting us up to speed on how Chris is doing.

I do not understand, though, how you are to blame that he got pneumonia. Chris has a compromised immune system from the cancer treatments and surgery leaving him in a weakened condition. Was he in isolation? Was everyone who visited required to wear a mask? To take these kinds of precautions would be up to the doctor to decide on.

If you feel that he caught a cold or something you had, I am here to tell you that you cannot even assume that. Having worked in a hospital, I know that people who are sick frequently catch things primarily from the workers there or from other patients in close proximity.

Please do not take on any guilt or feelings of responsibility for his pneumonia. You have enough on your plate without adding guilty feelings to it.

Take care. I will keep you both in prayer.

blu

Kato
02-12-2003, 08:19 AM
Heide, did you give Chris pneumonia? Bad girl. At least he got pneumonia and is in a hospital, pretty good place to be I'd say. I'll call you tonight to say high and tell you a joke. Take care. Tell Chris I'm thinking about him.

R.J.

Karatemom
02-12-2003, 09:59 AM
Dr called this morning. They have to go back in and fix a hole in his stomach. It's leaking bile and needs to be fixed asap. There could be other complications, but won't know til he gets in there. The surgery is in 45 minutes, and just stopped at home to get a few things and let everyone know. I will get back on here later with all the details.

You guys are the best!!!!!

Heide

Kato
02-12-2003, 10:05 AM
Jeez, Heide, I'm sorry. I know you're gone now but you'll read it later. I'll call you at lunch and see how it's going.

R.J.

bluewolf
02-12-2003, 10:05 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Karatemom:</font><hr> Dr called this morning. They have to go back in and fix a hole in his stomach. It's leaking bile and needs to be fixed asap. There could be other complications, but won't know til he gets in there. The surgery is in 45 minutes, and just stopped at home to get a few things and let everyone know. I will get back on here later with all the details.

You guys are the best!!!!!

Heide <hr /></blockquote>

Take care Heide. I hope things are going well the next time you talk to us. Will keep up the praying.

blu

Karatemom
02-12-2003, 01:33 PM
Okay, he came out of surgery well. There was a small hole in his stomach that needed suchering. Now it is a waiting game. He should be getting vetter everyday after this. He will be in Surgical ICU until Saturday, then moved to his own room. His stay in the hospital will be delayed unfortunately until sometime late next week. He is out of the woods now, which is wonderful. Now, we wait for the pathology reports to come back about the cancer. The surgeon is positive he got all of it out of his stomach, now we need to find out if it has spread anywhere else. Nothing to do but wait. Well, that's all for today. It should be an uneventful next week and a half. So I won't post anything more unless something else pops up. If you want to know how he's doing, please PM me. I love hearing from everyone; that's what's getting me through this.

Love to you all,

Heide

Eric.
02-12-2003, 02:16 PM
As usual, I'm late. I don't come to this side of the CCB much. Jsut wanted to give my thoughts for Chris. Godspeed and One day at a time.

Eric

Karatemom
02-12-2003, 02:26 PM
Are you kidding? Chris would cause a fuss if he was sedated!!! Actually, they say that he is a wonderful patient if he would just calm down, hahahahaha.

He got pneumonia from me. I caught it last week and am on antibiotics for 10 days. Missed almost a full week of work because of it. When it rains it pours, huh?

Heide

Wally_in_Cincy
02-12-2003, 02:32 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Karatemom:</font><hr> Are you kidding? Chris would cause a fuss if he was sedated!!! Actually, they say that he is a wonderful patient if he would just calm down, hahahahaha.

He got pneumonia from me. I caught it last week and am on antibiotics for 10 days. Missed almost a full week of work because of it. When it rains it pours, huh?

Heide <hr /></blockquote>

Unfortunately yes...yes it does /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

You're a trooper and so is your husband. God bless you guys and that pint sized poolplayer too.

jjinfla
02-12-2003, 03:38 PM
Hi Heidi,

Good to hear that the second surgery was uneventful. Keep in mind that while he is in ICU until Saturday he is in a place where he will receive the best care, 24/7. Now is the time for you, and the kids, to unwind. Grab them up and take them to the park, or go see a movie, or just spend time with them away from home for a while. You owe it to yourself and them because if you stay home you will constantly be beseiged by well meaning friends. And if you get worn down, you won't be any good to Chris or the kids. You need some R&amp;R. People forget that the patient has nice nurses waiting on them, but there is no one waiting on the care giver - you. So make sure you make time for yourself. It is not selfish - it is necessary. Jake

Troy
02-12-2003, 04:10 PM
That's really great news Heide. I'm sure it's easier for me to sit here 1500 or so miles west of you than it is for you being there, but Chris has well wishes from afar.

Thanks for the update.

Troy

Brent
02-12-2003, 04:35 PM
..Brent still has his fingers crossed and hoping for the best for the Cass-man. Hang in there..all of u

SPetty
02-12-2003, 04:49 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Karatemom:</font><hr> Okay, he came out of surgery well.
He should be getting vetter everyday after this.
He is out of the woods now, which is wonderful.
It should be an uneventful next week and a half.
<hr /></blockquote>Hi Heide,

Thanks for the update. Be thankful for the small things, eh? So, what color vette is he getting? You did say he's getting a vette, didn't you? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

SPetty~~~I thought it would be fun to have a little black VW beetle car with a big ol' "8" on it - driving an 8-Ball!

snipershot
02-13-2003, 12:32 AM
The update is deeply appreciated Heide. Good luck to you and Chris, he's strong enough to make it through this.

Barbara
02-13-2003, 03:38 AM
I swear SPetty, one of these days you and I are going to get together and share a bottle of Cabo Wabo between us!

And nobody's leaving until the bottle is kicked.

Barbara~~~will drag Heide into the milieu, too... oh yeah... /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Barbara
02-13-2003, 03:46 AM
This is so true, Jake!!!

Heidi, take a breather and do something for you and Christ!!!

Barbara~~~Go for it Girlfriend!!

Rich R.
02-13-2003, 05:55 AM
Thanks for the update Heide. It sounds like good news to me.
I'm sure all the reports will come back good too. There are too many good vibes coming your way for anything else.

Follow the advise of others here and take a little break for you and Christ. You need to recharge your batteries. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rod
02-13-2003, 12:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Spetty, So, what color vette is he getting? You did say he's getting a vette, didn't you?

SPetty~~~I thought it would be fun to have a little black VW beetle car with a big ol' "8" on it - driving an 8-Ball!
<hr /></blockquote>

Geez it I knew Heide was buying Chris a vette I'd of held on to mine another year! It was a nice car.

Speaking of Volkswagens, I still have my 57 VW Pickup, not a bus a pickup. You could paint a big 8 ball on the front. It has a 9 ball that I drilled and threaded on the shift lever. That way you wouldn't be partial to one game. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I can't sell it though because advertising is not allowed here! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

~~~ rod, got a lot more comments on the old pickup than he ever did on the Vette -- go figure