PDA

View Full Version : Rules question concerning scotch doubles, 8-ball

shootpool
02-11-2003, 10:39 PM
<font color="blue"> </font color> I have a question for those of you that have played in scotch doubles tournaments. How do they handle the question of coaching and the two team mates communicating with one another?

Karatemom
02-11-2003, 10:55 PM
I don't know if it is the same everywhere, but here in corn country, LOL, the teammates are allowed to speak freely when not at the table. When one of them is at the table, however, they are allowed one coach per game, nothing more. They can not tell you how or what to shoot from the sideline either. That would be considered a coach.

Heide

Rod
02-12-2003, 12:02 AM
That is going to vary depending on the area and the league/tournament rules. We let players have a few quick words if necessary. If it was more than that they had to call a time out. Only one per game. The BCA S/Doubles in Vegas lets partners talk when not shooting. When it's their turn no conversation is allowed unless it is their one time out per game.

Rod

Wally_in_Cincy
02-12-2003, 07:48 AM
The tourneys I have played in around here (mostly APA players) also allow one time-out per game. It's mainly to keep the matches moving at a reasonable pace.

SPetty
02-12-2003, 11:40 AM
I've always been under the impression that BCA Scotch Doubles 8-Ball does not allow any coaching or time outs, but that you are allowed to talk when it's not your turn at the table. My question has always been - when does your turn start?

As others have pointed out, however, it's often a local thing where one coaching time out is allowed.

02-12-2003, 01:01 PM
the way we play it, bca-vegas league, is that your turn starts when you "assume the table". you can keep talking strategy or whatever till you actually get up and approach the table.

dan...should say the way they play and i used to til i quit 'cause i hate scotch doubles.