PDA

View Full Version : Predator warps!

SPetty
02-12-2003, 05:16 PM
Well, looks like Iíve got the only warped Predator shaft I've ever heard of.

I first noticed it a few months ago when I was down on a shot and thought the cue looked crooked, so I would just rotate it until it didnít look so crooked. This actually happened many times since then. I truly thought maybe it was just the way I was seeing things Ė like the grain or something Ė and it was an optical illusion that I was seeing.

Well, I finally recently took a minute to look at it and itís warped just like a big bow! Not a small warp at the end like Iíve seen before, but a big bow along the whole length of the shaft! I sighted down it and saw this, so I unscrewed the shaft from the butt and sighted down each of these. The butt is straight Ė the shaft is warped. This is confirmed again by rolling each piece on the table. Thereís no doubt that the shaft is warped big time.

I have no reason to believe itís not a manufacturer defect, like one bad green wood splice piece that finally shrunk and took the whole shaft with it. I care for my equipment properly. I do not leave it in a closed car in 100 degree weather or in freezing weather. I do not leave it in humid places, nor do I leave it standing against the wall nor do I leave it anywhere under any adverse conditions with any weird forces weighing against it.

The shaft is almost two years old. About six months ago, I acquired a different cue that I use to play with, but have continued to use the old (warped) shaft as a practice cue several times a week.

I know thereís nothing you can do to help me. I just wanted to let you know that Predator shafts do warp for no reason sometimes (well, and maybe I was hoping for a little sympathy...)

Is there any value in a warped Predator shaft, like maybe collector value because itís a unique one-of-a-kind item that you canít find anywhere else? Or is it relegated to the expensive firewood category? Iím beginning to wonder, now, how much of my aiming problems are because Iíve been practicing with a warped shaft! Thatíll certainly instill a bit of inconsistancy, eh?

eg8r
02-12-2003, 05:22 PM
That sucks about the shaft being warped.

[ QUOTE ]
how much of my aiming problems are because Iíve been practicing with a warped shaft! Thatíll certainly instill a bit of inconsistancy, eh? <hr /></blockquote> Why do you practice with a shaft that you are not going to be using? Or is it just another cue you play with?

Have you contacted Predator just to see what they say?

eg8r

Cueless Joey
02-12-2003, 05:23 PM
I have a 2 yr old 314. I've sanded it down to 12.5mm. I've steamed cloth cleaned it a hundred times. Waxed and used it to break with many times.
It's still dead straight.

Karatemom
02-12-2003, 05:24 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> I care for my equipment properly. I do not leave it in a closed car in 100 degree weather or in freezing weather. I do not leave it in humid places, nor do I leave it standing against the wall nor do I leave it anywhere under any adverse conditions with any weird forces weighing against it. <hr /></blockquote>

What do you do? Keep it in a zero-gravity, temperature controlled dome?

hahahahahaha

Heide ~ had to get you back for the vette remark /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Rod
02-12-2003, 05:55 PM
Got the old bannana shaft do you? Sympathy, sniff sniff, ok that's enough! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif I would call Pred, who knows they might replace it. There is nothing to say some of their wood might be a little green. Oh, I predict a 5% aiming improvement!

02-12-2003, 06:35 PM
well, the bass will be spawning in a few weeks.

dan...mr. helpful.

Sid_Vicious
02-12-2003, 06:47 PM
I also would hit Predator with a call. The theory for laminated shafts and their pricy nature might just get you another in replacement. Don't give up until you try, and if they don't cough up a new one, "Come back and tell all of us." We all should know just how they stand on this issue..sid

TonyM
02-13-2003, 01:25 AM
Contact Shane S. at Clawson cues. They will replace shafts that warped due to poor wood quality. It sounds like you got a rare lemon!

I think that they might just be able to help you out.

The squeaky wheel gets the grease!

Tony

Ward
02-13-2003, 07:18 AM
I have used Predator shafts for several years and I have seen warped shafts. When I purchased a shaft for a Falcon about a year ago I rolled several shafts and and more than one was warped. They were going to send them back to Predator for replacement.

I know that Predator says not to steam clean them it will cause problems and void the warranty.

Later

snipershot
02-13-2003, 08:34 AM
Sorry to hear about the warping, did you know warping affects 1 out of 3 players a year, it is the leading cause of missed shots, by 2010 the number of warped cue in the world will increase by %10. Sorry SPetty /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Snipershot-not advertising, not being helpful either.

Rich R.
02-13-2003, 08:47 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> nor do I leave it standing against the wall nor do I leave it anywhere under any adverse conditions with any weird forces weighing against it.<hr /></blockquote>
Wait a minute!!!! No "weird forces"!!!!
You have feely admitted that you have played pool with several other members of the CCB. That is enough "weird" force to warp a steel I-beam. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

02-15-2003, 02:41 AM
99% of warped shafts are caused by customer neglect, you leaned the cue up against the wall while playing for 2 years &amp; now wonder why it goes blop blop when you roll it over. Now you want the mfgr to replace something you ruined. Toss it in the trash, go buy a new one, this time, take proper care of it, and dont ever lean it against the wall again. I have shafts in my studio that are over 40 years old, and are pure straight. Everywhere I go, I see players leaning cues against walls, &amp; most of them know better. I have 12 preditor shafts, dont use them much any more, but have had several since they first came out, I never had one warp. They are a good company, they make a fine product. Fast Larry www.fastlarrypool.com (http://www.fastlarrypool.com)

Scott Lee
02-15-2003, 03:12 AM
Larry...You should know better than to make a blanket statement like that without knowing the facts, or the person involved. I know both, and SPetty did NOT lean her cue up against the corner at ALL. She is completely aware of how to take care of her equipment, and is quite careful. This is an isolated incident of a Predator shaft developing a warp of unknown origin. We have suggested that she contact the company.

Scott Lee

rackmup
02-15-2003, 08:19 AM
Find the wall you supposedly leaned it against (see Fast Larry's post) and then, lean it up against an opposite wall. This should return it to "like new" condition.

Regards,

Ken (sorry 'bout the shaft. I know you take care of your weaponry.)

Ward
02-15-2003, 09:13 AM
Ken

Where have you been hiding. OPC said he beat you so bad that you went into hiding... Glad to see you posting

Later
Ward

Sid_Vicious
02-15-2003, 10:04 AM
I'm definitely with Scott, you are flagrantly attaching bad habits to the wrong person. Why would you so easily judge a person rather than an inantimate object. That ain't nice!!!sid~~~knows how SPetty cares for her cues

Troy
02-15-2003, 10:14 AM
99% ???? From what part of your body do you pull this fantasy statistic ???
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fast Larry:</font><hr> 99% of warped shafts are caused by customer neglect, you leaned the cue up against the wall while playing for 2 years &amp; now wonder why it goes blop blop when you roll it over. Now you want the mfgr to replace something you ruined. Toss it in the trash, go buy a new one, this time, take proper care of it, and dont ever lean it against the wall again. I have shafts in my studio that are over 40 years old, and are pure straight. Everywhere I go, I see players leaning cues against walls, &amp; most of them know better. I have 12 preditor shafts, dont use them much any more, but have had several since they first came out, I never had one warp. They are a good company, they make a fine product. Fast Larry www.fastlarrypool.com (http://www.fastlarrypool.com) <hr /></blockquote>

02-15-2003, 11:23 AM
well, of course it's silly to claim that occasionally leaning a cue against something causes warping. it's the wood baby. if it wants to warp, it's going to and there's
nothing on this or any other planet to do about it. certainly, leave it leaning for long periods thru temperature and humidity changes is a good way to warp it. ever try to bend wood for furniture work? it really doesn't want to do it. you gotta soak the heck out of it then force the bend then leave it like that for a while. lotta work.

then again, larry is new here and is clearly a man of hard held opinions. very entertaining.

besides, you just gotta love a guy who holds 1262 world records in pool and billiards and owns a wonder dog named, suprisingly, "wonder dog", who is the star of the act.

is this a great country or what???!

dan

dg-in-centralpa
02-15-2003, 11:36 AM
Here's an idea for the warped shaft, I use them when I have to shoot over or around a ball. lol

Ross
02-15-2003, 11:49 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fast Larry:</font><hr> 99% of warped shafts are caused by customer neglect,... <hr /></blockquote>
Fast Larry is just making outrageous statements hoping someone will argue with him. The controversies will give him a lot of exposure and publicity for his business. He's done it all over the board. I recommend just responding to the other posts and pretend his posts are not there.

bluewolf
02-15-2003, 12:36 PM
When I first read Larry's post, it was so outrageous, I thought that he was teasing. Then when I looked at his site, well it was kind of silly, so thought he REALLY must be teasing. And now I realize he must have been serious which is even funnier NOT!!!

blu

cheesemouse
02-15-2003, 01:22 PM
Fast Larry,
I've read your posts all over the board. If you can make a living traveling around doing pool trick shots with a frigging dog that steals the show more power to ya....but other wise your full of b--- s--- and hilarious to boot.......LMAO...... /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SteveFromNY
02-15-2003, 09:48 PM
ur not the only one...i posted a thread a few months back when the shaft on my predator break cue warped. after a few days of shooting though, it became straight again, but definitely felt a little different.

SPetty
02-15-2003, 10:40 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fast Larry:</font><hr> ... you leaned the cue up against the wall while playing for 2 years ... <hr /></blockquote>Um, no... <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fast Larry:</font><hr>Now you want the mfgr to replace something you ruined...<hr /></blockquote>Um, no...<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fast Larry:</font><hr>...this time, take proper care of it...<hr /></blockquote>Um, O.K...<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fast Larry:</font><hr>...and dont ever lean it against the wall again<hr /></blockquote>Um, O.K. I didn't actually do that, as my original post stated.

It's almost like you didn't actually read my post, but just read and responded to the subject line.

Thanks, though, for your attempt to help. If your assumptions were anything close to true, your post may have been helpful. Thanks anyway. Welcome to the CCB.