PDA

View Full Version : Explanation to Fans from Charlie Williams

koreandragon
02-13-2003, 02:51 AM
I do know who Shane is of course, that is not why I said "Shane?". I meant why did you mention his name.

And for those of you who want to know I will explain. A CCB user e-mailed Predator complaining that I may be representing Predator in a negative way with my advertising of the school on the forum. The CCB user wanted me to reply to the forum and add an apology of some sort. But the truth is, and you can verify this with Predator, is that I posted and replied before they notified me (and it was not Shane).

It is amazing how miscontorted things can be perceived by a simple message/post.

I've sat back and read the threads that this whole thing has started and have to admit it is pretty funny. It is everything I expected!

Just want to say that I tried to make an honest attempt.

Needless to say, I will be making very few posts from here on out and replies. I do invite anyone with serious inquiries to e-mail me personally and I will try to answer questions ,if time permits, the best I can.

And to answer a common question I see here on why pros don't post more often or reply is mainly because they see what I go through when I reply. I've shown many of my fellow peers on tour the posts I've made and the CCB replies and they are in awe. I can't blame them for not posting/replying.

Most of you have never met me, or maybe you met me for a minute or two. I know everyone in the pool world has something to say about me good or bad and whether they know me at all or all the facts. I know that everyone in the USA has an opinion of George Bush and everything that happens in the USA is either credited or blamed on him. But what do we really know besides what we see on TV? On a lot smaller scale, my life is similar. There are so many politics, issues, and events that occur in the backround that none of you know about, only from what you see on the internet and magazines. In the end, it is my name that goes in the limelight. (sometimes I watch the news and I ask myself, I wonder what the REAL truth is and what is really going on)

But I accept this life because I chose to be here and this just goes with the politics of being president, promoter, and player. And overall, I am very happy with my life and everything I am doing because I believe in it and the people who know me well believe in it.

But when my presidency is over, I'll be old news. Then the next victim (ahem!) I mean president will be in the limelight. (nobody talks about Ronald Reagan or George Bush, Sr. anymore)

I do think it is a shame to not be able to promote events here though because I think many are interested in hearing that kind of news. It is a little different than selling a cue or a book. It is promoting our sport, making more serious players, and increasing the fan base of our sport's greatest players. Almost like a religion. I'm sure many will argue on these points.

There are so few avenues in pool to promote the growth of our sport. I hope one day fans and companies understand this more because as a promoter I sure do.

Anyway, I will post and reply when I think is appropriate or necessary. But I don't think I will be a "regular" here.

Sincerely,

Charlie Williams

bigbro6060
02-13-2003, 03:07 AM
HI Charlie, thanx for your post, shows your not running and hiding

I'm going to change the subject, let's forget about the Pool school, the politics, the organisations etc, i just want to ask you a simple question

YOur Practice routine ? can you outline and detail what goes into it ? how many hours, what you practice, how you practice etc etc

a response would be appreciated /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

and i urge other posters here to follow suit and start using Charlie's presence here as a positive thing for the board and to let all the bickering die and lie. Here is a top world class player, i'm sure he has something for all of us to learn /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

arn3
02-13-2003, 03:56 AM
what i don't understand is why you choose to avoid answering to certain issues, when they could all be cleared up just as simply as you've done here. yet somehow you think that not posting will make rumors go away. quite the contrary, you should nip these rumors in the bud.
your logic makes no sense. so bye-bye.

bluewolf
02-13-2003, 06:09 AM
Big bro, i like you!!

blu

eg8r
02-13-2003, 07:10 AM
Charlie,
If you would like to know why Shane's name was mentioned, PM me.

If you are telling the truth about your post then I am sorry I was wrong. I do find it peculiar that your way with adjectives so closely resembled the email you read from the Pred marketing guy or whomever was deemed at that moment to get in contact with you.

I personally am not against posting an ad here if the poster is a "regular" poster. Maybe contribute to some of the threads every once in awhile. The pros do have more knowledge than most of the people on the board. It is nice to have a professionals advice sometimes. All in all that would help make it easier for the "mob" when an ad gets posted.

To you good luck, and I wish continued success with the school. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif To Fred, yes I do have the facts, PM me if you would like to hear them.

eg8r

Jay M
02-13-2003, 07:24 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote arn3:</font><hr> what i don't understand is why you choose to avoid answering to certain issues, when they could all be cleared up just as simply as you've done here. yet somehow you think that not posting will make rumors go away. quite the contrary, you should nip these rumors in the bud.
your logic makes no sense. so bye-bye. <hr /></blockquote>

This has to be one of the most short sighted posts I've seen yet. There will always be people that try to start an argument on the board. These people may be doing it for personal reasons, such as just not liking the player, or social reasons, such as trying to "be" somebody because they told off someone that everyone knew.
Regardless of the reason, this type of atmosphere is the exact reason that you don't see many of the pros running around the boards. They don't have the time to deal with all of the nitpicking BS.

Think about it for a minute. What do you think the thread would look like if Earl Strickland posted his method of pattern play. I can tell you. There would be about half of the posts thanking him and asking more questions. The other half would be split fairly evenly between inflammatory questions and people flaming him for his past activities.

Now you get a player that is the same caliber, Charlie, who posts and gets the same type of response and you wonder why he doesn't want to be a regular? Your post is one of the reasons.

Be a part of the solution, not a part of the problem.

Jay M

Sid_Vicious
02-13-2003, 08:13 AM
I frankly don't have any feelings, positive or negative about the guy, except that he promotes his business and doesn't talk about pool. Did I miss one of Charlie's posts in the past about deflection or how to make that certain shot? I don't think so. If we amatuers here on the CCB are supposed to be part of the solution instead of the problem...howz about CW doing more of what the CCB is designed for, talk pool, not his pool business...sid

snipershot
02-13-2003, 08:21 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote arn3:</font><hr> what i don't understand is why you choose to avoid answering to certain issues, when they could all be cleared up just as simply as you've done here. yet somehow you think that not posting will make rumors go away. quite the contrary, you should nip these rumors in the bud.
your logic makes no sense. so bye-bye. <hr /></blockquote>

arn3, as Jay m said before me this is a pretty short sighted post, people will start up an argument just to get noticed or get attention. Charlie doesn't answer certain issues because that would warp the truth even more and just make things worse. Charlie has indicated he doesn't have the time to participate in the immature gossiping that floats around here about himself nor do I think he would want to even if he had the time. His posts could be used a bit more effectively than to just bash the truth beyond recognition, this guy is one of the best on the planet and people here are choosing to criticize him instead of take advantage of his far superior knowledge of the game /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

snipershot
02-13-2003, 08:28 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> I frankly don't have any feelings, positive or negative about the guy, except that he promotes his business and doesn't talk about pool. Did I miss one of Charlie's posts in the past about deflection or how to make that certain shot? I don't think so. If we amatuers here on the CCB are supposed to be part of the solution instead of the problem...howz about CW doing more of what the CCB is designed for, talk pool, not his pool business...sid <hr /></blockquote>

Sid, it isn't hard to see that Charlie has been trying to promote his business here on the CCB, all the talk about his business were seeing isn't by him (he rarely posts here) but by us the people on the CCB. As we continue to hound on him and spread rumours maybe Charlie would like it if we could just talk pool for once, aside from promoting his business here which I disagree with, there haven't been many attempts to talk pool with him, just this politics and gossip BS.

cuechick
02-13-2003, 09:34 AM
I am pretty certain that CW will not be giving out any tips or info as long as people are will to pay big money to get it. Though I know other pros out there who teach would be more than happy to answer questions, it seems CW is always looking for the price tag...in other words... Charlie is all about business, nothing wrong with that if you are considering the big picture...Unfortantly Charlie is like a bartender that never does buybacks, he talks about promoting the sport, but is too near sighted to invest any real energy into fan support. I had a lot of hope when the UPA was formed but have seen no evidence of the UPA-aka Charlie taking the sport to a new level. From charging for autographs to other questionable tactics such alienating people in the billiards media....it just seems to have digressed to a guy with a Napoleon Complex running off, too often at the mouth.
I tribute a lot of this to his youth, and a need to overcompensate. I think at heart Charlie is not a bad person, I think in his heart he loves pool and wants to do the right thing...he just goes about it all the wrong way. And Charlie if you don't beleive your making some very bad choices, and I am sure you don't, then I have probably proved my point. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

02-13-2003, 06:42 PM
I'm a newbie so my opinion is worth very little as I'm sure most of you will readily agree... but...

I for one wish that there was a place here where people could post news of upcoming events, equipment specials, used equipment for sale, etc.

This forum is a great resource, but like most forums I frequent, people are always happy to stir up problems if the don't like a post. If you don't like a post, don't read it... and for God's sake don't reply to it and fan the flames.

Thanks to all the forum members here who post useful information on this board. I really enjoy coming here and learning from you all.

landshark1002000
02-13-2003, 10:00 PM
Hi Dave:
I liked your post. Your opinion matters too.
What I liked most was your idea that we need an appropriate place for "garage sale" ads and event notices.
By separating these from the discussion forum we still have plenty of room to share ideas ...without the commercials.
Perhaps this has been discussed and a decision made... I don't know.
Anyway, welcome to the forum. I look forward to hearing more posts from you.
-- Ted from Phoenix

koreandragon
02-14-2003, 03:12 AM
I don't get to practice much anymore, maybe the least amount of any other top pro, but I know what you should be doing.

But tonight I did practice for 2 hours. Here is one example of how to practice. But keep in mind there are dozens of things to work on and so many practice routines and philosophies and rarely have I seen a bad one.

What I did was practice 10 ball because that is what I will be competing in next. I played the ghost and spotted the ghost 5 games on the wire. I played 2 sets tonight and it is a very challenging exercise for me. I lost the first set 10-3 and then won 10-8.

This makes you run out and increase your offense power. Also, it teaches you how to play from behind.

Of course, if you are not at that level yet, you should try playing even or even get a handicapp from the ghost.

Then work your way up as I did.

I will do my best to answer questions but forgive me if I can't answer all and on a timely basis. I do travel 7 months out of the year and have 10 e-mail addresses to check and reply to everyday.
So please don't take it personal if someone's question is not answered.

arn3
02-14-2003, 03:55 AM
if you're going to comment, comment on something i said. your comparison to "earl talking about his pattern play" has no bearing on WHAT I SAID. cw is not posting on any such topic, nor was i. the issue as i see it is how cw feels that not addressing certain issues is the best avenue of recourse. i was merely stating that it might be better if we got the goods from the horse's mouth. cw can choose whatever the f*ck he wants to address. but cw seems to think that letting some things ramble on is better than if he posted and said "no,,,this ain't so".

you have a peculiarly distorted impression that i was causing some sort of rukus. where'd you pick up that "be part of the solution" nonsense.

TomBrooklyn
02-14-2003, 04:27 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote koreandragon:</font><hr> Of course, you could try playing even or even get a handicapp from the ghost. Then work your way up as I did. <hr /></blockquote>Your the man, Charlie. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
========
Howdy,
Your not just lookin' to become eligible to enter the CCB Tournament, now, are you Charlie?

If so, are you going to demand we join the UPA in order to enter?

I guess that might not be a bad idea. Maybe we can negotiate a good deal from ourselves and get some of the better players seeded.

Charlie, your going to have to give me the 6 and out and all the breaks. ....Charlie?

=Tom

Vagabond
02-14-2003, 06:00 AM
Howdy Tom,
I do not know what level u play.A top pro can give 6 and out to a non pro and beat him.The advantages of handicap shows up on 5 ball.So ask for break and Wild 5.Cheers
Vagabond /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

NH_Steve
02-14-2003, 07:39 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bigbro6060:</font><hr> HI Charlie, thanx for your post, shows your not running and hiding

I'm going to change the subject, let's forget about the Pool school, the politics, the organisations etc, i just want to ask you a simple question

YOur Practice routine ? can you outline and detail what goes into it ? how many hours, what you practice, how you practice etc etc

a response would be appreciated /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

and i urge other posters here to follow suit and start using Charlie's presence here as a positive thing for the board and to let all the bickering die and lie. Here is a top world class player, i'm sure he has something for all of us to learn /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif <hr /></blockquote>Amen! It would be ideal if there was a particular 'bickering' thread availabe now and then for those that want to bicker, and leave the 'advice and info' threads civil /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif But that just isn't human nature -- at least on any BB i have visited. All I would add for high profile folks like Charlie Williams is this: It's great to have you drop in and contribute when you can; hold your head up &amp; don't take the jibes too seriously; avoid dipping to the flamers level; but if you can sort through the trash talk, do learn what you can from the 'street level' point of view that this forum does provide -- there might be some underlying truth here &amp; there /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif . Sincere thanks for dropping by...

NH_Steve
02-14-2003, 07:43 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Jay M:</font><hr>
This has to be one of the most short sighted posts I've seen yet. There will always be people that try to start an argument on the board. These people may be doing it for personal reasons, such as just not liking the player, or social reasons, such as trying to "be" somebody because they told off someone that everyone knew.
Regardless of the reason, this type of atmosphere is the exact reason that you don't see many of the pros running around the boards. They don't have the time to deal with all of the nitpicking BS.

Think about it for a minute. What do you think the thread would look like if Earl Strickland posted his method of pattern play. I can tell you. There would be about half of the posts thanking him and asking more questions. The other half would be split fairly evenly between inflammatory questions and people flaming him for his past activities.

Now you get a player that is the same caliber, Charlie, who posts and gets the same type of response and you wonder why he doesn't want to be a regular? Your post is one of the reasons.

Be a part of the solution, not a part of the problem.

Jay M <hr /></blockquote>Good point, and applies to lots of posts/posters here...

bigbro6060
02-14-2003, 06:15 PM
I think what we are seeing is a bit of 'fed up ness' of the bickerers

Sure everyone is entitled to their say , freedom of speech etc, but say your bit and be done with it ! don't go on and on and on in every single thread even slightly to do with CW.

More and more people are tired of the bickering and just want to get back to doing what this board does best and that is TO HELP EACH OTHER OUT!

We all have a common goal of wanting to be better pool players so why can't we work together to achieve that goal ?

Personally i'd love to see more high profile pros and other top players here on this board

Popcorn
02-14-2003, 09:20 PM
This comes up every so often here, "the aiming system" Do you use, have you ever used, do you teach, an aiming system? Have you ever known a pro player that claimed to have a system they used? I have my own views, but would be curious what you may think. If any other pros read this and would like to also answer, I would also love to hear from you.