PDA

View Full Version : How to Play One Pocket

02-13-2003, 06:44 AM
Can someone tell me how to play one pocket or direct me to a good site about it. It's always sounded interesting, but I never got into it. Thanks.

Gerry
02-13-2003, 06:52 AM
Great game to learn,and it will bring new shot to your game you never thought of. While on the subject, straight pool is most likely the best game to learn to cover all aspects of pool. Anyway, try any material from Grady Mathews, I feel He's a great teacher/speaker and you won't find many better 1-pocket players.....Gerry

Anonamus
02-13-2003, 08:38 AM
The best way to learn the game is to go to the PH and watch people that are good and ask questions. While you are watching think to yourself what shot you would make and then see what the better player does. In time, you will start to see the basic moves and strategy. The book, Upscale One Pocket, will help you with some basic shots and will show you some shot selections. This is just the tip of the iceberg. If you want to get good at it you need someone to teach you the game, helping you out with shot selection while you play. It takes time to identify the patterns and invent and test your solutions to the problems that come up. Play every chance you get against players that are better than you and practise your banks and CB control.

As far as sites with one pocket info, there aren't very many that I have found. Check the archives here for some one pocket tips and shot diagrams and I think the Joss site has a few tips on the game.

Anonamus
02-13-2003, 08:48 AM
Here's a link to site that talks a little about the break and bank shots.

http://www.cues.com/one-pocket.html One Pocket (http://www.cues.com/one-pocket.html)

Kato
02-13-2003, 11:20 AM
I know a guy that knows good one pocket and when he moves a little closer I'm going to learn to play. Don't tell him I said that though.

I believe one pocket can only be learned by watching and playing with better players and asking lots of questions. There are sooooo many little moves.

Kato

JackPot_George
02-13-2003, 02:58 PM
One pocket is probably the most difficult game to play that I know of.
I personally compare it to Chess, for the ones that play chess will know what I am referring to, you position your balls strategically making sure you do not leave the other guy a shot and the cue ball barely moves a few inches at a time and when everything is ready, you get a good out ball or the other person makes amistake then you go for the kill and make 'em all and game is over.
Sometimes it can take up to 1 hour per game or as little as 5 minutes depending on your contendor and skills.
I have seen several excellent one pocket players, also tournaments with big guns playing on them, you learn by watching and then trying to recreate the shot, most of them long bank shots where you think there is no room for it.
Books are OK but the best will be watching and then practicing.
One good thing to learn though will be the brake, probably the most important part.

Good luck to you!!!

Voodoo Daddy
02-13-2003, 10:03 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr> I know a guy that knows good one pocket and when he moves a little closer I'm going to learn to play. Don't tell him I said that though. Kato <hr /></blockquote>

WHO would that be?

dddd
02-14-2003, 02:00 AM
learn to bank and play play play

02-15-2003, 01:27 AM
Why play one pocket?? It has a very small following, and that is not the way to learn pool. Almost any other game will teach you better than it. Mosconi used to say one pocket is for losers, it's for the guys who could not run balls and were failures at straight pool, so they went to a gimmick game they could win at. The majority of the players of this game are gamblers, who play it as their only game, and most are very good at it, and very hard to beat. Most rooms have a gimmick pool table set up for them with double shimmed 4" pockets just to trap the outsider coming in. If your main ambition in life is to learn how to gamble &amp; hustle people for money, then by all means, take up the game. If your ambition is to learn how to play, then take lessons from a teaching professional, &amp; learn to play 8 ball, 9 ball, rotation, l4.1, and 3 cushion billiards. Once you get good at them, then look into one pocket. One pocket to me is about as exciting as watching paint dry. A single game can go on for hours. The best book on the subject was published in l993 by Eddie Robin of Las Vegas, when he gave me my copy he was living in Phoenix, I was in the area doing a exhibition. The book is 304 pages, beautiful burgandy red hardback cover with gold lettering on the front. The art work is great, and it features most of the shots that can come up, some of them are virtually trick shots. If you practiced this book, mastered or made all of the shots in there, you would then know most of the moves of the game. Robin drew his material from the greatest one pocket players of our time. This is truely one of the great books of our time, unfortunately, it is very hard to find. Robin was a great player, and a great writer, it is sad his book project fell apart, what he could have done for pool would have been staggering. Fast Larry wwwfastlarrypool.com

02-15-2003, 09:30 AM
One-pocket is more than a gimmick game, IMO.

To play, you need to master at least one other form of pool first, cue ball control, banks and massÍ as well won't hurt you. It is more often lost than won, by that I mean mistakes and leaving a makeable shot for your opponent can cost you big. It takes good thinking and execution, such as being able to bank a ball close to your pocket, bump two balls away from your opponents pocket, and leave him safe all on the same shot. Due to the need to play into only one scoring pocket for you and defense against your opponent, 1P will have you shooting multi-rail bank shots as the "best shot" given the circumstances than any other pool game on a pocket billiards table than I know, and I play straight pool, 8, 9, 3cushion, banks, and snooker too.

All cue games are fun, but 1pocket played well will make your opponent stop and think, really really think, somewhat like chess. Are you ahead in the game? better move balls uptable away from the scoring end so if he gets loose he can't clean up easily, etc.

By all means get Eddie Robbin's "One Pocket," or "Shots, moves strategies" books. Any tape by Grady Mathews is educational. Jack Koehler has a book "Upscale One-Pocket"
Accustats has some great tapes with commentary from Bill Incardona, Grady, etc. Hang out and watch, get a friend who is also interested, try it out yourself. Play better players cheeeply just to learn.

One pocket is the great game, the ultimate in pocket billiards because it uses every aspect of the game from shotmaking, position, banking, kisses, combinations, clusters, spin, massÍ, kicking, jumps, and above all, cue ball control and safety play. Sure there are some gimmick shots, perfectly legal uses of billiard knowledge, many of which are also useful in trick shots. As a game, you need to consider weigh and balance competing concerns such as risk/reward offense/safety much more than any other game before you choose the "best option". If your brain doesn't heat up 2 degrees doing this head work, you aren't playing the full game, IMO. Yes a good gambling game, but as a pool game I play it for free because it is richer than most other games in shots, moves, and strategies.

Troy
02-15-2003, 09:50 AM
If you don't like 1-Pocket, simply say so and move on. There's no need to disparage a great game that has a huge following and is growing every day.

1-Pocket is called the the ultimate pocket billiard game for a very good reason. It compares well with Chess.

By the way, the book you mentioned is "Winning One Pocket".

Troy

NH_Steve
02-15-2003, 10:36 PM
Small minded players like Fast Larry that unnecessarily disparage one pocket usually do so because they are not smart enough to learn the game /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif ; or maybe not patient enough to put in the necessary hard work /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif ; or not creative enough to keep up with smart one pocket players /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif ; or they don't play good enough cue ball control /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif ; or they don't bank well enough /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif ; or they need the 'road map' that 9-ball provides /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif . I've played all the standard games, and I don't even waste my time on all those lesser games anymore /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif -- One pocket is the creme de la creme! You'll never regret the rich challenge one pocket offers, if you've got what it takes for the game, go for it!!!

OnePocketChamp
02-15-2003, 11:58 PM
You are right on, I believe it is the purest game played on green felt and without question not a game for beginners or the weak at heart.

HalSmith
02-16-2003, 04:50 AM
WELL SAID!

bluewolf
02-16-2003, 07:06 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote OnePocketChamp:</font><hr> You are right on, I believe it is the purest game played on green felt and without question not a game for beginners or the weak at heart. <hr /></blockquote>

OPC and other op folks here,

Did you play op when you first started or did you wait until you were real good before you started?

blu

NH_Steve
02-16-2003, 09:00 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluewolf:</font><hr>
OPC and other op folks here,

Did you play op when you first started or did you wait until you were real good before you started?

blu <hr /></blockquote>well, at least pretty good /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif I did not really start one pocket until I had lost interest in 9 ball -- after about 25 years /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif I knew from the first I started hearing about one pocket that I would like the game, and be well suited for it (because I've always liked the strategy &amp; 'moves' offered in other games -- including chess), but I had neither the available teachers, nor was quite willing to invest the effort to learn 1P earlier. I see no reason not to play around with it a little even as you are developing other skills, but 9-ball, straight pool &amp; eight ball all are much better games for learning the basics, IMO. One pocket is definitely a game better suited to more advanced play, because it invites you to use all your accumulated pool knowledge, plus it demands good execution.

woody_968
02-16-2003, 10:12 AM
One pocket is a game in which you can always learn something about it by playing, no matter what level you are at.
If you are just starting out, but still find enjoyment playing OP then I see no reason not to play it. You would probably need to find someone around your own speed to play with to really have much fun.
Just keep in mind that it is a lot of safties and long runs of pocketing balls does not happen often, so I would recomend still playing 9-ball or straight pool or 8-ball for your overall game improvement.

bluewolf
02-16-2003, 01:13 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote woody_968:</font><hr> One pocket is a game in which you can always learn something about it by playing, no matter what level you are at.
If you are just starting out, but still find enjoyment playing OP then I see no reason not to play it. You would probably need to find someone around your own speed to play with to really have much fun.
Just keep in mind that it is a lot of safties and long runs of pocketing balls does not happen often, so I would recomend still playing 9-ball or straight pool or 8-ball for your overall game improvement.
<hr /></blockquote>

Thanks to both of you. I know I need to learn to bank, kick and do english real good in addition to the normal cuts etc. I cannot bank or kick very well but I like to play around with it. I am very intriqued by one pocket. I love playing safe and strategy so I think that when I am decent that I will like it very much.

blu

Gerry
02-16-2003, 05:14 PM
I dunno Larry, Your remarks sound a little antiquated to me. Kinda like saying stick to playing checkers because all those silly statues in chess just get in the way, move differently, and you can't stack them to king me!:).Anyway, I luckily grew up learning 14.1/9-ball. Now while I'm learning the fabulous game of OP I compare it to bending down to pull a piece of string from under a closed door. Only to open the door and see a 500 pound ball of twine staring back at me. The more I learn....the more there is to learn....and the more I find myself enjoying it!.....Gerry

NH_Steve
02-18-2003, 05:01 PM
Try to find copies of the few available One Pocket books:

Jack Koehler's book Upscale One Pocket
Eddie Robin's Winning One-Pocket (unfortunately out of print)
Eddie Robin's Shots, Moves, Strategies

Get some of the One Pocket instructional videos:

Bill Incardona's Common Sense One Pocket
Allen Hopkin's Secrets of One Pocket
Willie Joplin's Ultimate One Pocket Tape
Grady Matthews has a whole series of advanced One Pocket instructional tapes

Try to watch good One Pocket players and really focus on the ebb and flow of strategy. Whether you have any strong players near you or not, try to arrange a trip to one of the big One Pocket tournaments like the Derby City Classic, or one of Grady Mathews' Legends of One Pocket tournaments. These are great places to get yourself completely saturated in One Pocket!

Watch as much One Pocket as you can afford by buying Accustats videos of One Pocket tournament matches (or renting them - if your local room has rentals). Not only will you learn a lot watching the tapes, you will learn by listening to the expert commentary. I especially recommend Freddy Bentivegna's commentary on One Pocket, but Bill Incardona, Grady Mathews, Danny Dileberto and Buddy Hall also have a lot to add to the learning experience. Make liberal use of your rewind and slow-motion features to make sure you are really clear about what you are seeing.

Try to find an experienced One Pocket player that is willing to give you basic lessons. If they won't give you lessons, maybe find an older knowledgeable player whose shooting skills have declined, but who still knows the game, and get them to play you real cheap - or maybe even for nothing. Ask for as much handicap as you can if you are forced to 'pay' for lessons in this manner. Although they probably won't want to explain what they are doing if you are forced to gamble with them, you can still learn an awful lot by watching. Gravitate politely to those few players who are both knowledgable and willing to share their knowledge!

Put in lots of specific One Pocket practice time - but not to the exclusion of competition! Particularly I would practice the following:

-&gt; The standard opening break - until you can hit it consistently, without scratching or selling out the 'corner ball'
-&gt; Returning the opening break
-&gt; Common one rail banks - both short and long. When practicing banks, pay special attention to learning to identify and avoid potential 'kisses'. As your skills develop, you can introduce the common 2 or 3 rail banks.
-&gt; Get acquainted with 'pocket speed' (just enough speed for the object ball to reach your pocket) - particularly on your long banks.
-&gt; Getting into -- and out of -- the common 'traps' (such as cue ball frozen against the side of the stack)

Try to find other One Pocket players at your general level -- or a little better -- and get in as many regular games as you can with them, to try out what you are have been learning &amp; practicing, and especially to have fun actually playing the game! But take it seriously too, which means learn to play the score!!!

bluewolf
02-18-2003, 07:21 PM
There is a game I play by myself and ww says it makes him nauseous to watch me /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

I kick all of the balls until I can get them all in a clump in front of one pocket without getting any in. Once I do that, I can sink them in the two side by side corner pockets but on each shot, the cb has to hit a rail before hitting the ob. As you can imagine, this takes me a long time but it is helping me learn about what the cb does on the rails at different angles. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

blu

02-18-2003, 09:07 PM
All of the recommended books,videos,etc. are excellent research tools.Finding someone to teach you without a financial investment may prove more difficult.Observing the best players at a tournament is also good.
I do not know your proximity to where I live..South Louisiana,but if you are passing through in the future,I would be glad to help you.Since you have stated you are new to one pocket,it would be detrimental to try and match-up(gamble)and you might not learn enough.

I will donate instruction time covering break,safety,position,kicks,banks,and end game.Probably about 6-8 hours.You must only supply the time and the passion for learning. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
I am one of those older players who doesn't quite have the stroke and stamina I once had,but I would be happy to help a young player.When we finish you will have a better understanding of the intricacies of one pocket.

Good Luck
c /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gifajunfats
the bayou banger

bluewolf
02-19-2003, 05:16 AM
WOW. That is so nice of you to help a fellow pool player that way!! I practiced in this one pool hall in my home town for about two years. There were these two retired gentlemen who drove there everyday from where they lived in the country and played op for several hours. I loved watching them and listening to them. I guess that is what really got me interested.

blu

NH_Steve
02-19-2003, 06:03 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cajunfats:</font><hr> All of the recommended books,videos,etc. are excellent research tools.Finding someone to teach you without a financial investment may prove more difficult.Observing the best players at a tournament is also good.
I do not know your proximity to where I live..South Louisiana,but if you are passing through in the future,I would be glad to help you.Since you have stated you are new to one pocket,it would be detrimental to try and match-up(gamble)and you might not learn enough.

I will donate instruction time covering break,safety,position,kicks,banks,and end game.Probably about 6-8 hours.You must only supply the time and the passion for learning. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
I am one of those older players who doesn't quite have the stroke and stamina I once had,but I would be happy to help a young player.When we finish you will have a better understanding of the intricacies of one pocket.

Good Luck
the bayou banger <hr /></blockquote>Cajunfats sounds exactly like the kind of resource that is IDEAL for helping budding One Pocket players. Jump for this chance, or regret it later!!

eg8r
02-19-2003, 06:53 AM
Kato,

Any chances of him moving to Texas. LOL Oh nevermind, we have OPC. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

02-19-2003, 10:37 AM
eg8r,
Hey.Maybe when I come up to Ft.Worth to stay with my young protege''The Tuna'(No,not Bill Parcells.)We could meet.You can find him at Volcano's a friendly little local spot.Actually Tuna and I stay at his place and play Straight Pool on his 9ft.G.C.Since he is a developing one pocket player,maybe you could befriend him and help him along.Thanks for the kind remarks,and I hope the young player comes by.

c /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gifajunfats
the bayou banger

John in NH
02-19-2003, 10:42 AM
Fast Larry,

Your quote "Why play one pocket?? It has a very small following, and that is not the way to learn pool. Almost any other game will teach you better than it". is simply not true, what you should have said is One pocket is an upscale pool game which requires all of the skill and experience of 14-1, 9-ball, banks, billiards combined into one difficult game and is not for the inexperienced pool player.

This quote is also incorrect "Mosconi used to say one pocket is for losers, it's for the guys who could not run balls and were failures at straight pool, so they went to a gimmick game they could win at. The majority of the players of this game are gamblers, who play it as their only game"

Speaking for myself and the people that I play one pocket with, we don't gamble, we play most pool games such as 9-ball and straight pool and golf (which is a form of bank pool), we love one pocket. When Mosconi said could not run balls in 14-1 was he comparing others to himself?
that would be true for everyone.

Your next quote is true to a certain extent, that's why one pocket is so difficult to schedule in a tournament. "One pocket to me is about as exciting as watching paint dry. A single game can go on for hours".

One pocket can be a tournament director's nightmare.

Your assessment of one pocket is much too narrowed but I do agree that it is not a game for everyone and especially not for the beginning player.

Regards,

John

Predator314
02-19-2003, 11:01 AM
The best way to learn one pocket is to find the basic rules and then play. As you play, you develope your own strategies and also learn strategies from your opponent. It is a game that is hard to learn without jumping right in.

One pocket has really grown in popularity in my area lately. I learned the game from a guy at my local pool hall about 10 years ago. I really liked it. However, I could never get anyone to play with me (it was kinda hard on coin operated tables also). Lately, when we have our bi-weekly 8-ball tourney, the warm-up games aren't always to usual 8 or 9 ball game, you will see at least 2 of the tables having a one pocket game in progress.

It's a great game and can honestly be compared to chess. From a spectators standpoint, it looks shallow and boring. From a players standpoint, it is just plain fun. I have seen the game re-kindle the interest in billiards for some people around here.

Fred Agnir
02-19-2003, 11:03 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fast Larry:</font><hr> The best book on the subject was published in l993 by Eddie Robin of Las Vegas, when he gave me my copy he was living in Phoenix, I was in the area doing a exhibition. The book is 304 pages, beautiful burgandy red hardback cover with gold lettering on the front. <hr /></blockquote>

Never heard of it. Never heard of him. Thanks for being the very first person ever to tell me about it.

Fred &lt;~~~ sorry folk, but it's Miller Time

BillPorter
02-19-2003, 11:14 AM
Hey, Fred--I'm surprised you haven't heard of this one. I think it is generally conceded to be the best one-pocket book ever written. Accu-Stats was selling them for $99 a copy at the DCC. On eBay you might pay $150+ for a copy. Ask just about any long-term one-hole player and they will give you the scoop on Eddie Robbin.

02-19-2003, 11:15 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cajunfats:</font><hr> I do not know your proximity to where I live..South Louisiana,but if you are passing through in the future,I would be glad to help you.Since you have stated you are new to one pocket,it would be detrimental to try and match-up(gamble)and you might not learn enough.

Good Luck
the bayou banger <hr /></blockquote>
Thank you very much for the offer, it sounds great. I live in central TX but I will definitely let you know if I ever go by east TX or Louisiana. Thanks!

L.S. Dennis
02-19-2003, 11:17 AM
I agree with Gerry, anything from Grady will certainly be a help in learning one pocket. Like straight pool one pocket is a chess game, and should be thought of as such. I also agree with one of the other posts which stated that for the stectator it's about as exciting as "watching paint dry".

I was watching a one pocket tournament in Sunnyvale Ca. a few weeks ago in which the game got down to the last ball for these two players. They batted that thing around for 45 minutes or so it seemed before 'Tall Paul' finally won it!

You should become familiar with it though to help round out you billiard knowledge.

02-19-2003, 11:19 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote NH_Steve:</font><hr> Whether you have any strong players near you or not, try to arrange a trip to one of the big One Pocket tournaments like the Derby City Classic, or one of Grady Mathews' Legends of One Pocket tournaments. These are great places to get yourself completely saturated in One Pocket!

<hr /></blockquote>
Believe me, I would love to see a major tournament for OP, 9 ball or anything, but I can't find any near Texas. DCC is too far, are there any closer ones?

Wally_in_Cincy
02-19-2003, 11:42 AM
Bill,

Fred be yankin' the chain of "The Fast One"

Or maybe sucking up?....Naaaah /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wally

Kato
02-19-2003, 11:59 AM
Like I'm telling you who the guy is. You're gonna hate me even more when I start beating you at that game /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kato~~~would rather bleed from his eye sockets than play one hole BUT likes hanging out with this guy I know that i don't want to tell Voodoo about. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

eg8r
02-19-2003, 01:08 PM
Hello cajunfats,

Let me know whenever you are coming to Ft Worth, it would be nice to meet another CCBer. I have never been to Volcano's. I like to play at Billy Weirs over near the Ridgmar Mall right off of I30 in West Ft Worth.

I do not know about helping him along in 1p, as my skill level is not that high. He is welcome to come out on Saturdays...there are a few one pocket players up there. Onepocketchamp and Rackmup (I miss Ken, where are you /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif ) are usually up there. We also have Jbullerjr (sp?) and Ward up there on occasion. Am I missing any others?

eg8r