PDA

View Full Version : How Do You Clean Feather Pillows?

TomBrooklyn
02-14-2003, 03:01 AM
I got these down feather bed pillows, and I want to clean them. The tags on them say "Dry Clean Only". But I have had down outdoor gear products like parkas and sleeping bags and everyone who knows about them knows they suppossed to be washed and dryed the regular way and they aren't suppossed to be dry cleaned.

Washing them is more convienent and probably less expensive anyway; but I don't want to screw them up, and I'm afraid that dry cleaning them might be bad despite what the care labels say. Maybe they ran out of the right labels in China and didn't realize these said the wrong thing. Naturally, I didn't take the labels off because that's against the law.

Does anybody know what to do? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif I can't ask Martha Stewart because she's busy in court. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

=TB

Rod
02-14-2003, 10:35 AM
Since you asked,

Feather Pillows
This question was submitted from Julie.

"I have a feather pillow that really needs to be cleaned. How do I go about doing that? I'd love to just get a new pillow but I can't seem to sleep on anything but this one. Help please!"

For most of these types of pillows we would recommend dry-cleaning. However, I have washed feather pillows before.

Try these techniques :

It is best if you do the job at a Laundromat in one of their double size washers.

Wash on normal or delicate - be sure to use a laundry booster for some extra stain removal power.

When drying be sure to use a few new tennis balls in the dryer to keep the feathers all fluffed up.

The pillow will dry more evenly and will not stick to the outside of the drum and get scorched. You should monitor it closely.

TomBrooklyn
02-14-2003, 10:53 AM
Thanks Rod. Julie submitted that question to you? Do you have a website where we can submit our questions to you directly? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hmmm. Is that one pillow in a double washer? I have four pillows. I was hoping to cram them all in there at once. I don't have any tennis balls. Can I throw some pliers or box wrenches wrapped in rags and held together with duct tape? How about some pool balls. Maybe I can borrow some and then return them.

What is a laundry booster? Is that like rocket fuel? I have liquid soap and Clorox Bleach. Should I use the bleach. I don't think so.

I see Julie almost went out and bought some new pillows. How much do friggin' pillows cost anyway? I don't even like these pillows that much. They're too soft. Oh well, I'll wash 'em and see what happens. I hope they come out springtime fresh. Can somebody tell me what this laundry booster stuff is. Help!

Thanks for putting my mind at ease.

=Tom

Kato
02-14-2003, 11:14 AM
maybe laundry booster is that Oxyclean stuff? My Mom uses it.

Kato~~~doesn't do very good laundry

Rod
02-14-2003, 11:23 AM
Nope Tom no web site, just copied it. Yes use pool balls, just turn up the music a "lot". /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I have washed feather pillows and even added a little bleach. If necessary you can run them through an extra rinse cycle. Laundry boosters are made by several companies like Borax or even oxy clean. Forget it if you want. Speaking of Rocket fuel, this Neptune washer sounds like a jet engine ( sort of) when it spins up. Remember pillows need a little free space. Well look at it this way, if you screw them up you didn't like them anyway!

Rod
02-14-2003, 11:39 AM
Just a thought for the day. Speaking of rockets and laundry, you know the guys at the space station have few clothes. One guy in an interview admitted to wearing the same shorts for over a month. LOL Can you imagine what would happen if they all caught a severe case of diarrhea? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif I'll just leave you with that thought. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

TomBrooklyn
02-14-2003, 12:24 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> Can you imagine what would happen if they all caught a severe case of diarrhea? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>If that happened they would probably jettison it out the uh, jettison hatch. I wonder what some astronomer on earth will think though if he sees it? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

-T

Wally_in_Cincy
02-14-2003, 02:07 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote TomBrooklyn:</font><hr>

<font color="blue">I've washed down pillows before. </font color>

I don't have any tennis balls.

<font color="blue">You can use a clean (read: new /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif) tennis shoe. </font color>
<hr /></blockquote>

Gayle in MD
02-21-2003, 09:47 AM
With a feather duster silly! HA HA HA!
Gayle in Md /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

TomBrooklyn
02-21-2003, 10:02 AM
Gayle,

Now your being "down"-right silly.

I haven't been to the laundrymat yet. I'm waiting until I run out of clean socks, as usual.

-Tom