PDA

View Full Version : Sports Team affiliations, Are you a homer?

Kato
02-14-2003, 11:43 AM
I am very close to being a "homer" in sports except for 2 teams. I'm just wondering where your sports affiliations lie, where in the country (or world) were you born, and what are the reasons for your choices? (I was born in Wisonsin but I'm a Yankee fan because my great uncle on my mother's side was a Yankee fan).

Kato:

Football
College: Miami Hurricanes
Pro: Miami Dolphins

Baseball:
College: Miami Hurricanes
Pro: Boston Red Sox
Florida Marlins

Basketball:
College: Maryland Terrapins
Pro: Miami Heat

Hockey:
Pro: Florida Panthers

I'm pretty much a homer, born and raised in South Florida. My father is from Mass which is why I'm a BoSox fan (no pro baseball in Florida when I was a kid) and I'm a Terp basketball fan because the 'Canes didn't have a team so when I was 18 I adopted the Terps because 2 of my buddies were from Maryland.

Kato~~~extemely bored.

9 Ball Girl
02-14-2003, 11:58 AM
Well, my parents hail from the Dominican Republic where baseball is the favorite past time. So naturally, I grew up loving baseball. I was born and raised in Brooklyn, NY in a home where even the slightest whisper of the Mets would damn you to hell! I'm a Yankee fan.

Baseball
New York Yankees (the M.E.T.S. who? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

Basketball
L.A. Lakers (I'm an ex-Knicks fan, sorry NY)

Hockey
NY Rangers (don't watch it but it's NY!)

Football
Any team with tight pants so I guess that would be all of them!

Harold Acosta
02-14-2003, 03:22 PM
Born and raised in New York, then moved to Puerto Rico in 1969, lived in Seattle 3 years (78-81), moved back to Puerto Rico in 81.

Baseball throughout the years:

Pittsburg Pirates (Roberto Clemente)
Baltimore Orioles (John Boog Powell, Elrod Hendricks)
Cincinatti Reds (Tany Perez, Johnny Bench, Pete Rose, Dave Concepcion, and the entire RED Machine).
Montreal - (Alomar, Olerud, Carlos Delgado)
Pittsburg Pirates (Bonds, Bonilla)
Cardinals (Jose Oquendo, Ozzie Smith, and then with Mark)
Seattle Mariners (Edgar Martinez, A Rod, Ken Griffey Jr., the Big Hurt).
Texas Rangers (Ryan, Pudge Rodriguez, Ruben Sierra, Juan "Gone" 'zalez)
Baltimore Orioles (Alomar)
Cleveland Indians (Sandy Alomar)
Yankees (Bernie Williams, Jeter)
Right now....I'm not following baseball anymore.

Basketball:

New York Knicks
Philadelphia
Detroit Pistons
Seattle Supersonics
Boston Celtics
LA Lakers
Chicago Bulls until Michael retired.

Do not follow football, hockey, soccer, or golf.

Since PR doesn't have a Pro Team, I pretty much go with the flow (Championship Teams basically)

nAz
02-14-2003, 03:58 PM
Born Brooklyn Baby Top of the food chain!

BaseBall: Yanks and Brooklyn CYCLONES! although i do like the Yankees staten Island farm team.

Football Jets Giants ehh ok

Hockey Boring ass hell on tv UNLESS your at a game /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

BasketBall I'm a New Yawrrkers im loyal to my Knicks! sheit i even follow the Metro Stars!

Wally_in_Cincy
02-14-2003, 04:27 PM
Who is/was your favorite Dominican player? I always liked Mario Soto a lot. Pete Rose made him pitch on 3 days rest in 1985 and ruined his arm.

and Jose Rijo is hugely popular around here.

Wally_in_Cincy
02-14-2003, 04:29 PM
Here in Hamiltucky the Kentucky Wildcat fans outnumber Univ. of Cincinnati fans about 10 to 1 /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9 Ball Girl
02-14-2003, 04:42 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> Who is/was your favorite Dominican player? I always liked Mario Soto a lot. Pete Rose made him pitch on 3 days rest in 1985 and ruined his arm.

and Jose Rijo is hugely popular around here.

<hr /></blockquote>

Manny Ramirez is one of my favs although he's on our enemy team. Bartolo Colon, a great pitcher who's now been picked up by Tampa Bay (I think). Pedro Martinez of course (another "enemy"). There's a slew of others I can't think of at the moment.

Nazarino and I were at a Yankees vs. Red Sox game. Man oh man oh man. We were sitting behind a whole row of Red Sox fans. Now of course, we had the bantering back and forth but to me it's all in fun. But some fans, they go way out of hand. There were like 3 huge fights that night. I remember turning around to see what was going on behind us and all I saw in slow motion was a barrage of beer coming down towards us but intended for the Bosox fans in front of us. Poor Naz, he got soaked after having washed his jacket and was upset because not only did he get soaked with beer, but it was cheap beer! LOL My Mom is a huge Yankee fan and I always call her on my cell phone to cheer on our team together and I remember her yelling at me 'cause I had handed my phone to one of the Bosox fans in front of us to talk to her!

Wendy~~so, how many days 'til pitches and catches? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Karatemom
02-14-2003, 04:59 PM
Football - Da Bears, who else???

Baseball - Chicago White Sox

Basketball - No one, I hate the game

Hockey - None, can't see the darn puck from the television, so what's the point of watching.

I was born in NY, so I do favor the Yankees when they're in the championships. Unfortunately, since the '80's, the Bears just haven't been the same without Singletary, Payton, and The Fridge! But every Sunday, I make a point to watch the Bears get their butts kicked. Now come summer, you can't tear me away from a White Sox game.

Heide ~ born a New Yorker, but raised in the Windy City, guess that makes me a half-a-homer, LOL

02-14-2003, 05:15 PM
I live in Connecticut so unfortunately we don't have any home teams. But here is my list anyway.

Basketball:
Celtics
Baseball:
Mets. Learned, before the age of twelve that my team which was Boston at the time, would never accomplish anything. So I switched. It helped that I played on the Mets in Little League.
Hockey:
Bruins. The only bad thing about the Whalers leaving Hartford is that I now have to drive 2 hours to catch an NHL game.
Football:
Raiders. You'd never believe how much guff I've gotten from Patriots fans this year after Oakland got smoked by T.B.

As far as college sports go:
fball-Nebraska
Basketball-Georgetown: Just couldn't stand all of the new "fans" UCONN got when Cliff Robinson was playing here. Not to metion the people that don't follow sports except for UCONN women's hoops. It's is rediculous.

Rod
02-14-2003, 05:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Basketball - No one, I hate the game <hr /></blockquote>

Hey Heide, that's the spirit, I hate the game to. See dem dribble da ball, see dem dunk da ball, see dem run back and forth. I mean you can't change the channel and get away foor it. Then there is the (guys or wanna be jocks or know it all fans). Well if so and so was playing. if they hadn't traded so and so, so and so is the best at whatever. Then the long heated opinions. I hear that stuff all the time. I say, Hey it's your shot you guys gonna play pool or play basketball. When that happens I'm gone, then they don't realize why I get hot. LOL

Baseball team was the Dodgers, but I'm a DBack fan now.

I use to like the old Bears and Pittsburg. The Cardinals suck. I'd still like to see the Chiefs have a winning season.

Tom_In_Cincy
02-14-2003, 07:01 PM
I usually root for 4 teams in baseball..

The Reds, Cards, BoSox and anyteam playing the Yankees

Not a Pro Basketball or Hocky fan at all.

College Basketball, U. of Cincy, Memphis and Indiana (when Bobby Knight was there), now Texas Teck and Notre Dame and any team playing against UCLA or USC.

I hate the any team from NY.

Karatemom
02-14-2003, 08:23 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> I hate the any team from NY. <hr /></blockquote>

How could you say such a thing? LOL. What's the matter with the teams in NY?

Heide ~ curious

Tom_In_Cincy
02-14-2003, 08:58 PM
I lived in Boston in the mid 50s and grew up with Ted Williams and lived and died with the Boston Red Sox.

NY team fans are special, to say the least. I've had to listen to all the talk about their teams for the last 50+ years. It gets kind of "old" especially when those teams win all the time.. Basketball, Hockey, Baseball, Football.... when will it ever end?

As a kid, baseball was a huge factor in my life. The Yankees, Dodgers and Giants were all anyone talked about. The Saturday Game of the week was usually one of these 3 teams on TV. I used the radio to visualize baseball in the big leagues for a very long time. I still listen rather than watch baseball.

Its easy to be a fan of a winner, but like the cubs fans, I am hooked on the home town favorites, underdogs have always been my weakness.

But, I guess it would have been different if I lived in NY.

Karatemom
02-14-2003, 09:52 PM
That's exactly why I can't stand the Cubs. That's all Chicago talks about. They always show the replays of the Cubs games, and sometimes, if you're lucky, you'll see a replay of the Sox games. Drives me crazy!!!!! Even Harry Carey went to the "other" Cubs' side, the big traitor. That's a disgrace to all White Sox fans. You don't switch sides. You're either a White Sox fan or a Cubs fan (loser) LOL. Of course, I couldn't stand Harry Carey, so it didn't make much difference to me, LOL.

The rivalry between us and them is about like the Bears and Packers. You tread very softly in enemy territory.

Heide ~ White Sox fan til the end

Kato
02-14-2003, 10:06 PM
Pitchers and catchers report tomorrow. Regular players Tuesday.

Kato~~~loves baseball.

#### leonard
02-14-2003, 10:46 PM
I do wear a Brooklyn Cyclone hat wverybody thinks I go to BC. ####

eg8r
02-14-2003, 11:09 PM
I am a homer...
Footbal
College: Miami Hurricanes (Born and raised a 'Cane)
Florida Gators (Spent a fortune there so I root for them)
Pro: Miami Dolphins ('Canes on Sat, Fins on Sun)

Baseball:
College: Miami Hurricanes (same as before)
Pro: New York Yankees (Family company transports cars for Yanks to Fl for Spring Training. I also met Don Mattingly and have a signed bill of lading from him)

Basketball:
College: Florida Gators (Love Billy Ball)
Pro: Orlando Magic

Hockey:
I don't watch

I guess I am a homer, born and raised in Florida and root for the Florida teams. Spent majority of my life in South Florida so I root for them. Anyways, I would anyone be a Bucs fan, they invented losing. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

eg8r
02-14-2003, 11:16 PM
I think Bartolo went to the White Sox. I think the trade happened so that youngster in Boston could not get him. This is the trade that included El Duque. Cashman beat Epstein again. LOL, Epstein is learning quick.

eg8r