PDA

View Full Version : I'm confused

02-14-2003, 04:51 PM
Since December, I've been attempting to gather as much information as possible regarding shaft care. Whether it's been from this site, local cue gurus or anyone willing to share their opinion. I've heard arguments for water, alcohol, lighter fluid, car wax, furniture polish, currancy, leather, sandpaper, scotchbrite pads, bee's wax, wax paper and paper bags. I've also heard arguments against every single one of these substances except for leather. I even tried e-mailing McDermott's customer service. Their reply was that I should buy some of their cue care products(What a surprise). The only things that have been constantly recommended and never contradicted are these:
1)Keep hands clean while playing.
2)Wipe cue down with soft cloth after playing or during extensive use.
3)Burnish with leather.
It is therefore my conclusion that these are the only three safe, nondestructive methods for maintaining my shaft.

I guess my point is that with so many varying opinions it's hard for a relative beginner to this sport, like me, to know what to believe. Anyone else feel this way? Please, feel free to express your opinions. A few more can't hurt.

The Captain
(feelin' like Giligan)

Cueless Joey
02-14-2003, 04:53 PM
Get the shaft pack by Dr Z at cuesforless.com.

woody_968
02-14-2003, 05:22 PM
These are all opinions for how to care for a shaft, kind of like there is more than one way to skin a cat. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif
You basically have to try some and see what works best for you, then soon you will develope your own beliefs and can then inflict confusion on the new players asking for your opinion. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

02-14-2003, 05:34 PM
Good point. Guess you got to pay your dues sometime.

02-14-2003, 11:49 PM
You basically have it figured out, when you get home, wipe down the shaft with a damp towel, they dry it off. I then burnish my shaft with a 8000 grit pink cue slick, this is a plastic strip. The ones sold today stop at 1000 grit and are yellow. I used to sell 1500,3000 & 8000 grits, but stopped. Dont sand wood off your shaft, find something that will slick it up, with out taking off the wood. Fast Larry www.fastlarrypool.com (http://www.fastlarrypool.com)

HalSmith
02-16-2003, 04:55 AM
I use a product called Q-Wiz , its a small round disk,looks like leather, and it works great.