PDA

View Full Version : Help with Rotation

Hopster
02-14-2003, 05:40 PM
I played my weekly games of straight pool with my pop today and his game was off a bit so he suggested we play some rotation. I said sure, why not. Now i had never played this before but i knew the basic rules, whoever gets to 61 first wins. So we played and as it would turn out, the first game i ran from the 1 to the 13 without a miss. I said " Hey pop, this games too easy " That got me a dirty look. lol
Anyway, i have tried looking for rules but couldnt really find anything substantial online. What happens when you fail to make contact with the OB, is it ball in hand or ball behind the headstring or do you shoot from where it lands or what ? Also, do you put the balls you made in the ball racks like in one pocket ? This seems like a much more challenging game than nine ball and i kind of like it. A lot more traffic to contend with for sure.
Any help would be appreciated.

Cueless Joey
02-14-2003, 05:48 PM
I believe the BIH stands.
The other variety would be to spot the ball at the shooter's option. If you scratch the cb while the object ball lays or is in the kitchen, that's an automatic spot.

Rod
02-14-2003, 06:37 PM
Hopster,
The basic rules is c/b in the kitchen on a scratch and any balls spot on a foul. Deduct 3 points on a foul. It is a game of slop per-say. The incomming player assumes balls in position. General rules of pocket billiards apply from there.

As a gambling game push out is usually played.

02-14-2003, 08:44 PM
I tried to answer your question, but ran out of room, the respone if limited here, I hold the all time high run record at this game, 60 balls, 4 racks, so I do have all of your answers. Go to my web site, www.fastlarrypool.com (http://www.fastlarrypool.com), email me, I will answer you, I see you live in Vegas, I will be entertaining at the July BCA trade show in Vegas, come meet & play with me there. Your pal, Fast Larry

Hopster
02-15-2003, 01:15 AM
Rod and Joey, thanks for the help.
Fast Larry, i went to your site and e mailed you. Nice little site, should look good when done.
I do have to say there is pathetically little out there written on this game and this game can be brutal, way more brutal than nine ball as far as playing position goes. Anyway, my appetite is whetted as they say. lol
Thanks again, one and all.

02-15-2003, 09:40 AM
Invest in the BCA rule book, about 7$ from Amazon or any online pool store, the rules are there. Basically,

rack: 1 in front, 2 in RR, 3 LR, 15 center, others random.
Foul: CB behind headstring, no point penalty. Jumps/not hitting lowest respots balls.

I might mention it is a popular game in the Phillipines, so it must make 9-ball look easy to them. Traffic is bad, 6 more balls on the table makes a difference, as does trying to play it on a 3.5x7 or 4x8 table. If you can run a rack, make position, and not bounce into other balls you have done some good shooting indeed.

woody_968
02-15-2003, 10:04 AM
I would also recomend getting a bca rule book. Not only will you find rotation rules, but many other games you may have never thought to try.
You may also find some little known rules about games you already play.

Tom_In_Cincy
02-15-2003, 12:12 PM
Fast Larry says:

[ QUOTE ]
I hold the all time high run record at this game, 60 balls, 4 racks, so I do have all of your answers. <hr /></blockquote>

I sure would like to know how this claim to fame is captured. What organization keeps records about this 'claim'

I do not understand how you have to pocket all 15 balls on a game of rotation. The game is over when 61 points are totaled.

Wondering how valid these bold statements are?

02-15-2003, 12:32 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr>
Fast Larry says:

&lt;/font&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr /&gt;
I hold the all time high run record at this game, 60 balls, 4 racks, so I do have all of your answers. <hr /></blockquote>

I sure would like to know how this claim to fame is captured. What organization keeps records about this 'claim'

I do not understand how you have to pocket all 15 balls on a game of rotation. The game is over when 61 points are totaled.

Wondering how valid these bold statements are?
<hr /></blockquote>

aw gee, tom. you're no fun at all.

ya gotta belieeeeve.

dan...big wonder dog fan.

Ken
02-15-2003, 12:38 PM
He was probably playing "rotation straight pool". Perhaps Patrick didn't invent that game after all. I'll bet Patrick has a better record than Larry but nobody gets to witness Patrick's records.
KenCT.

Popcorn
02-15-2003, 12:46 PM
I see you wrote in your bio. you are the trick shot world champion. Who are you and when did you win this title? I did not find anything about rotation on your website. This is a forum,I think the idea is to answer questions here and not by email.

bluewolf
02-15-2003, 12:50 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> I see you wrote in your bio. you are the trick shot world champion. Who are you and when did you win this title? I did not find anything about rotation on your website. This is a forum,I think the idea is to answer questions here and not by email. <hr /></blockquote>

This Larry is just too silly. Are you sure his name isnt Patrick? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

blu

Ken
02-15-2003, 01:02 PM
Larry is for real and put on a good show at VF the time I saw him. He gets upstaged by Wonder Dog, however. I suggest you take your smartest dog, teach him to play and bring him to VF. I'll put my money on Wonder Dog as long as it's early in the day. Wonder Dog does not work overtime and needs his rest. He gets bored with pool. His best game is three cushion and he doesn't stoop to fishing the balls out of the pockets.
KenCT

Patrick
06-09-2003, 11:36 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ken:</font><hr> He was probably playing "rotation straight pool". Perhaps Patrick didn't invent that game after all. I'll bet Patrick has a better record than Larry but nobody gets to witness Patrick's records.
KenCT. <hr /></blockquote> I don't care about records, I only care about playing as good as possible. I rather run 1 perfect rack than 100 bad Earl Strickland racks.

Patrick

miko
06-10-2003, 01:52 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Hopster:</font><hr> What happens when you fail to make contact with the OB, is it ball in hand or ball behind the headstring or do you shoot from where it lands or what ? Also, do you put the balls you made in the ball racks like in one pocket ? Any help would be appreciated. <hr /></blockquote>

I'm not sure about the standard rules. In the Philippines, this is how it is played. No BIH. If your opponent made a bad shot, you have the option to shoot where the CB is or u can have the OB spotted and shoot the CB from behind the headstring. It is easier to count the numbers on the balls if they are in the ball racks. Hope this helps.

miko
06-10-2003, 01:57 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Hopster:</font><hr>I do have to say there is pathetically little out there written on this game and this game can be brutal, way more brutal than nine ball as far as playing position goes. Anyway, my appetite is whetted as they say. lol <hr /></blockquote>

Rotation is a game where you have to be good in almost all facets of pool. From kicking to banking, safety play, carom, combos, and playing position through traffic.

Hopster
06-10-2003, 02:01 AM
Thanks Miko. I havent played it much lately but on occasion i do play a rack or so by myself. Very hard game, under rated in my opinion.

miko
06-10-2003, 02:02 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote billiards_14-1:</font><hr>
rack: 1 in front, 2 in RR, 3 LR, 15 center, others random.
Foul: CB behind headstring, no point penalty. Jumps/not hitting lowest respots balls. <hr /></blockquote>

Actually, the order of racking is almost like the highest valued balls on top of the triangle to the lowest group of balls in the bottom. the rack for rotation loks like this:

13 14
11 15 12
7 9 10 8
2 4 6 5 3

for foul, you are correct, no point deduction. but u have the option to shoot where the cb stopped or u can have the ob spotted and shoot from the kitchen

miko
06-10-2003, 02:31 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr>
I do not understand how you have to pocket all 15 balls on a game of rotation. The game is over when 61 points are totaled. <hr /></blockquote>

I just saw the rules of rotation straight pool from the site of Patrick and I think this is the rotation that Fast Larry is pertaining to. This is totally different from the rotation being played by Filipinos wherein the first to reach 61 points wins.

Hopster
06-10-2003, 10:42 AM
You know Miko, i think the ball in hand rule would be a bigger penalty if you didnt make contact with the OB. I guess you could do it any way you want to if you both agreed before hand. Have you ever played with the BIH rule ?

miko
06-10-2003, 10:48 AM
Yes, it would definitely be a bigger penalty. But it would make the game a little easier though. I haven't tried the BIH rule yet. Would try it one of these days and see how it goes.