PDA

View Full Version : Is it a sport?

02-14-2003, 05:55 PM
Had this discussion at work today. Is cheerleading a sport? My argument was this: You do not achieve victory or score points in cheerleading. Therefore it is not a sport. I'm, by no means, taking away from the HIGH level of fitness required to be a cheerleader. It is JMO that it is not a sport. What do you think?

nAz
02-14-2003, 06:11 PM
cheerleading is as dangerous as most sports. even more dangerous than football. With all those stunts and maneuvers like jumps, pyramids, twirling, flipping, and tossing, a lot of people are getting hurt while "cheering on the home team" hey heres a Quetions is pool a sport?? lol

socrates
02-14-2003, 07:28 PM
Perhaps there is a differnce between a spirt squad and a competition squad.

However, for the benefit of my daughter who just returned from competing at Nationals in Orlado, FL (The ones shown on ESPN) I will need to answer most definetly yes. These girls train staring in the summer for approximately five or six competitons through the end of February. They train over twelve hours a week and their conditioning is grueling.

Their high school squad has won the state high school competition all four years she has competed and eight years in a row.

Combined with her early martial arts training she is one tough cute young lady.

A proud dad.

snipershot
02-14-2003, 10:41 PM
For the more competitive teams it is a sport, they have to score points with the judges to defeat their competition, I think it isn't a sport for the teams that just cheer on their sports teams.

02-15-2003, 08:26 AM
The band at my high school started conditioning in the summer at the same time as the football team. They also competed at a national competition in Florida every year. Does that make band a sport? Is ballroom dancing a sport? They have competitions for that too.