PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a 60" cue?

Scott Lee
02-15-2003, 03:44 AM
I spoke with Blackheart yesterday, and he mentioned that he has a beautiful 60" cue for sale on ebay. It is listed under sporting goods/billiards, as item #2710616577, and a great looking cue. If you need a longer cue, you might take a look at this auction.

Scott Lee

02-15-2003, 07:16 AM
Scott, can you recommend a good divorce lawyer?

/ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Must... refrain... from... "Buy It Now"... nooooooo

/me hides credit card and hopes I forget where it is

bluewolf
02-15-2003, 07:46 AM
I tried to find it and I could not find it. How do you put in the number. I havent used ebay much

blu

JohnnyP
02-15-2003, 08:03 AM
Gasp! An advert. Someone tell mommy. Oh, nevermind.

Scott: Have you seen Dave's "spot-shot draw" movie?
http://www.barenada.com/poolmovies.shtml

He hit that one pretty good. It must have counterclockwise spin on it, but you can't really see him put it on.

Also, do you have any idea of the cueball speed in MPH?

02-15-2003, 08:18 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluewolf:</font><hr> I tried to find it and I could not find it. How do you put in the number. I havent used ebay much

blu <hr /></blockquote>blu, just cut &amp; paste the number into the search box on ebay. Should take you right to it.

And if you buy it... I hate you. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

David

bluewolf
02-15-2003, 10:23 AM
Thanks. I finally found it. Now waiting on blackheart to tell me it doesnt have irish linen.

blu-----&gt; likes wood, hates linen

bluewolf
02-15-2003, 12:31 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dmorris68:</font><hr> blu <hr /></blockquote>blu, just cut &amp; paste the number into the search box on ebay. Should take you right to it.

David <hr /></blockquote>

Eat your heart out!!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

blu

02-15-2003, 12:59 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluewolf:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote dmorris68:</font><hr> blu <hr /></blockquote>blu, just cut &amp; paste the number into the search box on ebay. Should take you right to it.

David <hr /></blockquote>

Eat your heart out!!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

blu <hr /></blockquote>You bought it??? For me??? Why, you shouldn't have!!! I'll PM you my shipping address. Oh, and make that FedEx overnight, please.

/ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

David

Wally_in_Cincy
02-15-2003, 01:04 PM
Too late. Gone.

Thanks for the tip Scott. That is one really fine looking cue.

Being 6'-5" I used to wonder if I would feel more comfortable with a 60" cue. I am now so accustomed to a standard length I wonder if it might now be detrimental to switch.

Wally in the Natti

bluewolf
02-15-2003, 02:42 PM
Sorry David!!! That one will be getting some action in my all day lesson with Scott Lee in march and pool school with Randy G.this summer. And I am sure many fine years of service to come!!!

Blackheart undercharges for his beautiful cues as it is when compared to other custom guys, and this one was a steal!!!

blu

Scott Lee
02-15-2003, 03:15 PM
Yes, that is a very fine shot, hit extremely well! The speed would not need to be excessive, with a smooth stroke and an extremely low hit on the CB...I'm guessing in the neighborhood of 12-15 mph. Yes, it would definitely have to have reverse draw to come above the other ball near the side pocket. Well played! LOL I'd hate to have to hit that shot for the CASH! LOL

Scott Lee

02-15-2003, 03:28 PM
Willie Hoppe on a 5xl0' table played straight rail with a 54" cue &amp; 3 cushion with a 55" cue. Pool playes on 5xl0's played with 57" cues in the Mosconi era. Today the pool standard is 58", stay with that, you will get the best results. The only reason I can see going to a 60" cue is to reach more shots. Learn how to climb up on the table &amp; stretch out more, or learn how to shoot with the crutch well, then you wont need a long cue. Snooker players playing on 6x12's are all experts with the crutch, they practice the shot, when was the last time you did that? Fast Larry www.fastlarrypool.com (http://www.fastlarrypool.com)

Scott Lee
02-15-2003, 03:41 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fast Larry:</font><hr> Willie Hoppe on a 5xl0' table played straight rail with a 54" cue &amp; 3 cushion with a 55" cue. Pool playes on 5xl0's played with 57" cues in the Mosconi era. Today the pool standard is 58", stay with that, you will get the best results. The only reason I can see going to a 60" cue is to reach more shots. Learn how to climb up on the table &amp; stretch out more, or learn how to shoot with the crutch well, then you wont need a long cue. Snooker players playing on 6x12's are all experts with the crutch, they practice the shot, when was the last time you did that? Fast Larry www.fastlarrypool.com (http://www.fastlarrypool.com) <hr /></blockquote>

Larry...I don't play with a 60" cue...I was merely making mention of a well-made cue that is available for anyone who might feel they need a longer cue. My Samsara is 58", and works fine for me. BTW, I practice with a mechanical bridge (what you MISTAKENLY call a "crutch") all the time. As a respected instructor, I teach proper use of the bridge ALL the time. How about you?

Scott Lee

02-15-2003, 03:41 PM
My suspicion is that a player with very long arms would benefit from a longer cue... but that is only my suspicion.
I also suppose the same would be true of a player with very short arms... a shorter cue would be a better "fit"

I don't have excessively long arms, and I'm only 5'9" so 58" seems just fine to me.

02-15-2003, 04:44 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fast Larry:</font><hr> Learn how to climb up on the table &amp; stretch out more, or learn how to shoot with the crutch well, then you wont need a long cue. Snooker players playing on 6x12's are all experts with the crutch, they practice the shot, when was the last time you did that? Fast Larry www.fastlarrypool.com (http://www.fastlarrypool.com) <hr /></blockquote>
And I suggest you learn some manners.

As someone who is 6'2, I can attest to 58" being barely adequate. I had already decided that my next custom will be made around 60". For certain shots, I often find myself gripping the very butt end of the cue, even the rubber stopper.

Fast Larry, I normally avoid hostile posting and tend to walk away when somebody gets on my nerves. You, however, are pushing my buttons. Every post you've made has been, in some form or fashion, arrogant, condescending, pompous, and insulting. You may or may not be the trick shot master you claim to be, and you may or may not hold all the records you claim to hold, but that doesn't matter -- there are numerous people on this board who know every bit as much as you, and I dare say moreso, about the sport of billiards. They have established themselves in the sport and on this board, and when they talk, people listen. Unlike yourself. You will get no respect talking down to people the way you do. There are too many *well respected* top players and instructors on this board, Scott Lee being one of them, for you to come in here and think you can "school" anybody and have them listen to you.

If you'll tone down your attitude a notch or two and actually try to be helpful, maybe people will listen to you as well; otherwise, I'd like to suggest that you find another forum for your absurd "advice." /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif

David

bluewolf
02-15-2003, 05:42 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fast Larry:</font><hr> Willie Hoppe on a 5xl0' table played straight rail with a 54" cue &amp; 3 cushion with a 55" cue. Pool playes on 5xl0's played with 57" cues in the Mosconi era. Today the pool standard is 58", stay with that, you will get the best results. The only reason I can see going to a 60" cue is to reach more shots. Learn how to climb up on the table &amp; stretch out more, or learn how to shoot with the crutch well, then you wont need a long cue. Snooker players playing on 6x12's are all experts with the crutch, they practice the shot, when was the last time you did that? Fast Larry www.fastlarrypool.com (http://www.fastlarrypool.com) <hr /></blockquote>

Weeeellll. My first cue was a 59in. I have been playing with a basic blackheart which is around 58in. As far as a 60in cue, I did want it to have a little more reach.

blu

02-16-2003, 11:18 AM
I play with a 60" 22oz. cue from the Phillipines. It is all ebony with an ebony shaft. I am 6'1". I have played for many years with 58" cues and I like the feel of the longer cue best. I would also note that people are much taller today than they were 50 years ago when the 58" cue evolved, and many of the young giants of today would likely benefit from a longer cue...Magritte

Popcorn
02-16-2003, 11:59 AM
I don't think the length of the cue determines where you hold it, as much as the balance point. I am prone toward a shorter cue. I play with a 57 inch. I borrowed a cue from Jimmy Reid once and I think it was a 56 inch. I also played with a cue Pat Fleming had that was a 54 inch. I think there are a lot of schools of thought on the subject but it is not an easy thing to experiment with unless you like spending money or are a cue maker. Having an off beat cue made not only cost money but may be un-sellable if you don't like it.

mark wilson
02-16-2003, 12:02 PM
Hey Scott, You bring up something I feel is the next evolution in pool cues in that custom fitting makes a difference. I play a 61" cue and have done so for many years. Custom fitting in all other aspects of life is the standard, from bluejeans to golf clubs. Those people who have long bodies and arms need a longer cue than an average height person. Cuemakers generally distance themselves from this conversation as they are content to leave the dimensions standard and equate "custom" with differing cosmetics and greater costs. The standard 58" cue causes some stroke delivery problems for players to tall for standard. They may feel that the cue wrap is where the grip hand should be placed and then in doing so with an incorrectly fitting cue create power and accuracy problems. Cues should be produced as, 58", 59", 60", and 61" options that could be tried and compared as a part of the purchase process. Modern cuemaking has evolved to the point where virtually everyone is producing a great playing cue and once fitting aspect is incorporated we will have a step forward for the sport.

mark wilson
02-16-2003, 12:11 PM
A 57" or 58" cue is fine if you are the same height as Wiilie Mosconi or Nick Varner. A taller person could not fit any of their personal belongings and their length cue would be usable but not ideal.

Rod
02-16-2003, 01:31 PM
Hi Mark,
I agree, custom fitting is important and I see a lot of tall players that could benefit from a longer cue. At the same time I see players with large hands that might benefit from a larger diameter cue. One size does not fit all there either. Cue manufacturers will be slow to adopt such, but some custom makers do or will.

Rod

Popcorn
02-16-2003, 02:05 PM
I totally agree, whether you go longer or shorter. You really need a cue that can instill maximum confidence. There are a lot about cues that is standard that may not have any basis. Things like ferrules being 1 inch long, cues all being 58 inches and so on. Cuemakers are I believe a little afraid to buck the norm. I remember when first Kersenbrock cues were around, now South West. He had the six high low points, micarta ferrule, phenolic joint and a screw different then any other cue. No body was breaking down the door to buy one. Now I doubt there is a cue maker that does not make a model that is a copy of a South West. South West really only makes one cue, They may look a little different from one cue to the next, but they are basically the same cue. You can't order a South West with a 5/16 x 14 screw, or steel piloted steel joint. They make the cue they believe in and if you want a cue like a Joss, order a Joss. I think if a cuemaker didn't try to be everything to everybody, Of course I am not referring to the cues dimensions, just the construction, they may in the long run build a better more consistent cue. I don't know, I'm not a cuemaker, but it is fun to talk about.

02-16-2003, 02:15 PM
Scott,
I had a custom Showcase Billiards Hustler Cue for some years that was 60 inches and approx. 20.25 oz.I used it for longer shots at first but realized shooting with a bridge and using off-hand shots were more beneficial.I eventually sold it to a friend in Iowa City who was about 6'2" tall.He Loved It.
Didn't Dave Bollman use a 60" cue a few years back?Glad to see Mark Wilson on the board.Hey ccb'ers,when these guys talk,please listen,they have a treasure trove of knowledge,experience, and Class.
I have often advocated,"a cue is like a good pair of shoes,either they fit,or they don't".I suggest approaching custom fitting a cue just as important as Golf Clubs.Off the rack is fine for the beginning,custom tailoring is enhancing what you do...better.
Good Shooting to All

The Bayou Banger,
c /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gifajunfats

Popcorn
02-16-2003, 02:33 PM
The problem seems to be, nobody knows what is right for them and nobody can tell them. One day a player thinks they have discovered a secret and the next day it does not work. The same with cues, players are all over the place with what they like in cues and it keeps changing. I bet there is almost nobody on here that could say what they like, specifically. From butt dimensions, (how thick) to tapers, shaft sizes, balances points, joint type, ferrule type, tips. It is endless and you can't just go into a proshop like in golf, and walk out in a day or two with a cue just for you. They are expensive also, you can go broke experimenting. I have always been jealous of a player that seemed to like their cue and always played with the same cue. I have been playing for 40 years and I am still looking. Pool players are nuts when it comes to cues, at least I am. I did once have a Ginacue around 1971 that got stolen, where I felt like the cue actually made me a better player when I played with it, but that is one in more the a 100 over the years. Maybe it is just me, I am just nuts.

Wally_in_Cincy
02-16-2003, 06:11 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fast Larry:</font><hr>
Snooker players playing on 6x12's are all experts
with the crutch, they practice the shot,
when was the last time you did that? <hr /></blockquote>

Yesterday. Next question please.

#### leonard
02-17-2003, 08:42 PM
Scot I have run over 100 balls playing left handed so I only need the bridge when shooting the length of the table shots. I only do that when I am left that shot. My position play is so that I would never leave myself that shot.####

bluewolf
02-18-2003, 06:21 AM
I really admire that. When faced with a bridge shot, I tend to switch hands. Even considering I do not play position well at all, a true bridge shot that I cannot reach with stretching, climbing on the table (one ft planted), or shooting with either hand is not that common. Now if I could learn good position, I would not have to pick up that thing at all.

I know that some people like the bridge. I am one who likes the feel of my equipment being at one with me. So the bridge just doesn't feel good to me. /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

blu

Voodoo Daddy
02-18-2003, 07:03 AM
Having shot with cues from 58" to 62" I think I can give an honest opinion...which is; "TO EACH HIS OWN"!! I'm 6'5" and have a pretty wide wing span...I was told by "Big" Bob Ogburn many years ago to try a 60" cue, which I did and hated it. I had a 59" Southwest which I loved {29" butt/30" shaft} but sold it during my divorce. My Szamboti is 58" and my OMEN is 58". As far as reaching shots, I never have that problem anyway...hahahahaha!! I will teach my students bridge work actually before we go into spin/english because being able to use the bridge is like being able to hit a 2-Iron...its in the bag, use it!!

bluewolf
02-18-2003, 09:49 AM
I think that you are so right. I just started with a cue that happens to be 59.5 inches so I am comfortable with it.

blu

ShayneinDayton
02-18-2003, 10:16 AM
I'm 6'-4" and I shoot with a 60.5" Josey. Anyone else shoot with a non 58"er?
Shayne

Fred Agnir
02-18-2003, 10:37 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote JohnnyP:</font><hr> Scott: Have you seen Dave's "spot-shot draw" movie?
http://www.barenada.com/poolmovies.shtml

He hit that one pretty good. It must have counterclockwise spin on it, but you can't really see him put it on.

Also, do you have any idea of the cueball speed in MPH? <hr /></blockquote>

He shoots this with extreme low outside, trying to maximize the spin, and minimize the speed (high speed/spin ratio). I made this shot the first time tried it, and will probably never make it again.

Fred &lt;~~~ knows and has played Dave