PDA

View Full Version : All future Cass updates

Karatemom
02-15-2003, 02:43 PM
I will post all of his updates under this thread so I'm not taking up so much space on the board.

We got back from the hospital today - I managed to shovel our way out of here - and he's about the same. Unfortunately, his breathing still isn't like it should be. I truly believe that if they would let him have some water or popsicle whenever he wanted, he would calm down enough to stabilize his breathing. However, he is still restricted. The surgeon is supposed to see him sometime today and he's got the final word. The nurse seems to think that his lungs just can't handle the stress from the operation. I have a hard time believing that. Chris has had the time allotted for his esophagus to heal so he should be able to have at least water now, but won't know anything til later.

He's also had a fever for about 48 hours. It was 103 earlier, and was down to 101.5 when we were there. I hope there isn't an infection. They are treating him with antibiotics so it should help.

Surgically he's doing wonderful. It's all the after-shocks that are giving him trouble.

As soon as I know more, will let everyone know.

Love you guys,

Heide

Vicki
02-15-2003, 03:26 PM
First of all, don't worry about how much space you're taking up on this board. We want you to have whatever space is necessary to be able to give us updates on Chris' condition and to let us know how you and your son are doing.

Thank you for keeping us updated. We are interested in knowing all the updates and, believe me, no one is sick of hearing from you. I have logged onto the CCB more in the last week or two than I ever would normally and only to check for news on Chris.

It sounds like he still has some progress to make but I suppose the worst is behind him. I wish you all a very quick, full recovery.

You seem to have underestimated how important you and Chris are to this community. Don't sell yourself short. I think I speak for most all the CCB'ers that you all are very special to us.

Take good care,

Vicki

Rich R.
02-15-2003, 03:48 PM
A big DITTO to Vicki's post.
I know a lot of us are logging into the non pool board first lately. We look forward to learning anything new on Chris's condition.

Don't you ever, ever, worry about taking up too much space here. Right now, your posts are the most important information on this board.

Of course, after Chris has completely recovered, we will flame you along with every one else. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif NOT!!!

bluewolf
02-15-2003, 06:10 PM
Heide,

I too look here first. The reason that I think they are giving Chris some time is because he has pneumonia. They cannot give him anything by mouth because he could aspirate it and get another pneumonia infection on top of the one he already has. Also, it is normal for a person to run a temperature after the trauma of surgery. The fact that it is coming down is a very good sign.

It does sound like the hospital is taking very good care of him.

Take care and thanks for the update.

blu

nAz
02-15-2003, 06:49 PM
What Space???

/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

ok i know how he is but how r u? hows your game /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Karatemom
02-15-2003, 07:02 PM
I'm okay, just really wanting him home. My game? What game? LOL

Heide

snipershot
02-15-2003, 08:32 PM
Don't worry about space, it's not like were gonna run out of it (look how often NaZ posts!), the worst seems to be over for Chris, good luck on his recovery, were all rooting for him.

Karatemom
02-16-2003, 02:14 PM
Well, he's back on the ventilator and I'm a basket case. The nurses told me that his lungs just aren't strong enough to breathe on his own. They've heavily sedated him and put him back on the ventilator and expect him to be that way for at least a few days. Then they'll try again and see if his Blood O2 level is better. They did say that he could possibly have ARDS, Adult Respiratory Distress Syndrome and are treating him as such. For right now, though, he is comfortable and breathing well, even if it's not on his own. I just hope this gets better soon. Don't know how much more I can take.

I'm going to take the day off of work tomorrow to spend at the hospital all day. I can't spend a whole lot of time with him now because I would be leaving Christ in the waiting room all that time, and that just won't work.

Will let you know tomorrow evening how the day went.

Heide

Troy
02-16-2003, 02:26 PM
Hang in Heide. There are many of us pulling for Chris.

Fran Crimi
02-16-2003, 03:10 PM
Heide, I did a little ARDS research and came across this:

"ARDS may result in a relatively short period of battle to recover characterized by what seems to be a remarkably speedy recovery with little if any damage to the lungs."

I also read that they may choose to heavily sedate him so he doesn't fight the ventilator---and they may put him in a semi-comatose state intentionally, all intended to help speed up the healing process---so don't think it's bad if he looks out of it.

The ventilator will give him the oxygen he needs to speed up his recovery from the pneumonia.

He'll be OK.

Fran

Karatemom
02-16-2003, 04:11 PM
Hi Fran. We must have done the same research. I did a little myself as soon as I got home. I wanted to know what he was in for. I know it is probably not as bad as it looks, but there is just something about him being on that ventilator and being sedated that really bothers me. It's killing me to see him like this, but I do what I have to for him so he can pull through this.

Thanks for the lended ear.

Heide

Barbara
02-16-2003, 04:29 PM
Hey Heide,

Maybe tonite you kick back with a hot bath, light a scented candle, and treat yourself to a glass of wine.

Just let us know tomorrow night how things are going.

Take some time for yourself and Christ.

XO! times 3,

Barbara /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

bluewolf
02-16-2003, 04:47 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Karatemom:</font><hr> Well, he's back on the ventilator and I'm a basket case. The nurses told me that his lungs just aren't strong enough to breathe on his own. They've heavily sedated him and put him back on the ventilator and expect him to be that way for at least a few days. Then they'll try again and see if his Blood O2 level is better. They did say that he could possibly have ARDS, Adult Respiratory Distress Syndrome and are treating him as such.
Heide <hr /></blockquote>

Heide, I am very sorry to hear about the complications. My dad was on a vent for awhile and he also had ARDS and pneumonia too. Hang in there. There is so much medical that can be done and it sounds like they are taking real good care of Chris.

Keep the faith. Chris has a strong spirit and he is a survivor, which will serve him well. He will be fine.

blu

Vagabond
02-16-2003, 05:13 PM
Cheers
Vagabond

Rip
02-16-2003, 06:25 PM
Heide, it sounds like your medical team is providing excellent care for Chris. Hang in there and get rest when you can. Barbara's wine suggestion sound good too--hell, I think I'll have a glass myself /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif!
Thanks for keeping us in the loop,
Rip

Jon from MN
02-17-2003, 09:01 AM
Heide the docs are just playing a safety we all know Cris will be running out{of the hospital} real soon! Heide I think Barbara had a great idea take care of yourself and Christ too. were all with you Jon

Vicki
02-17-2003, 11:38 AM
I know how difficult it is to see Chris in this condition. It is disturbing because he is your partner, your other half, the person you most rely on to keep everything together. I remember that it was very hard for me when Sunny's dad was sick for so long. It does get better. I know it does and soon Chris will be back to his old self. You just have to keep it up for a little while longer. Then you all will be able to get right back into stroke. You'll be going to the pool hall together, and nagging him about leaving clothes on the floor and forgetting to take out the garbage. Well, maybe you won't feel like nagging him for a while. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

If this were a race to 11 Chris would be leading by about 8-2. That's not bad and the match is almost over. I'm betting the cancer doesn't get to 3. Any takers? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hang in there!
Vicki

Karatemom
02-17-2003, 03:33 PM
Well, he's about the same. His lungs are very congested, which is not a bad thing. He does try to cough, which is amazing seeing as how he is sedated. They give him some morphine for the pain and keep him as sedated as possible so he doesn't pull anything out, which he has done in the past, LOL. They use some kind of a suction device to pull some of the crap out of his lungs, and I got on them today about keeping his mouth moist. So they did give him a little swab of water in his mouth. They did say that he will be fine, that it just takes time. Me, being as impatient as I am, want it done already. But I know I have no choice, so I must deal with it! LOL.

I read Gayle's post about he and I being partners. I just thought I'd let you all in on something. Not sure how many of you know this though. Chris and I met in December 1990, had our first date January 24, 1991, and got married March 18, 1991. Most people would think we were crazy, but it was just one of those things where you knew this was it, the real thing. Not too many people get as lucky as we did. We're not just partners, we were meant to be together. We know each other inside and out, and deep down, I know he'll be fine.

He's got balloons, bears, flowers, cards, and a book in his room from people who care. I can't thank you enough for all the strength you've given him and me. You have no idea how much it means to have friends like you.

Heide

Barbara
02-17-2003, 05:16 PM
Hey Heide!!! Have you thought about using some Chapstick or Burt's Beeswax on CC's lips to maybe help keep them from cracking? JAT. It can hurt like heck when the lips crack from lack of moisture.

Barbara

Rod
02-17-2003, 05:52 PM
Heide,
From the sound of things it seems the hospital staff thinks everything is normal, considering his condition. That is good news. It's better than one of those, 'well we aren't sure" explanations. It sure is frustrating when were not in control. You seem to be handling it just fine, well impatient but who wouldn't be.

Rod

Karatemom
02-17-2003, 06:04 PM
Believe it or not his lips aren't chapped at all. It's just his mouth. Is it me or does his mouth always seem to cause trouble? LOL

Heide

Barbara
02-17-2003, 07:20 PM
Okay, we're not going there girlfriend.

/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Barbara

Troy
02-17-2003, 09:07 PM
Patience is tough when you're waiting Heide. I firmly believe Chris has the worst behind him. Hang in, he'll be OK, it will just take some time.

Troy

Karatemom
02-18-2003, 01:42 PM
Just when I thought it couldn't get any worse, it does. His lungs don't look or sound good at all. What's worse is that they can't do anything about it except keep him on the ventilator. He's at 60% oxygen when he should be at 20%. Normal people take in 21% oxygen and the blood receives 95 - 100% of it. He's at 60% and receiving 100%, he should be lower, or at least be getting lower each day, but he's not. He's also still got a high fever and the dr thinks there might be an abcess somewhere inside. He'll have a CAT scan tomorrow if there's no change overnight.

The pulmonary dr only gave Chris a 50/50 chance of survival. But the fact that he is in fair condition, stable, and holding his own is good. A very good friend called me this afternoon and talked to me about everything. All of the other problems he is having besides his lungs, could very well be holding him down. They will fix what they can, and let his lungs heal in time. With any luck, he will be home in about a month.

Heide

nAz
02-18-2003, 01:53 PM
man that suxs! Hang in there girl!
tell him i said hello and get better fast! i err need someone to BS with /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

bluewolf
02-18-2003, 04:35 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Karatemom:</font><hr> Just when I thought it couldn't get any worse, it does. His lungs don't look or sound good at all. What's worse is that they can't do anything about it except keep him on the ventilator. He's at 60% oxygen when he should be at 20%. Normal people take in 21% oxygen and the blood receives 95 - 100% of it. He's at 60% and receiving 100%, he should be lower, or at least be getting lower each day, but he's not. He's also still got a high fever and the dr thinks there might be an abcess somewhere inside. He'll have a CAT scan tomorrow if there's no change overnight.

Heide,

I am very sorry you are having to go through this. Having a close family member in ICU and especially on a vent is such a roller coaster ride of emotions. I am praying that Chris gets well fast for his sake and for yours and Christ's.

Laura

Vicki
02-18-2003, 07:17 PM
I can't seem to think of anything appropriate to say right now. You are still in my thoughts and prayers everyday.

Vicki

Sid_Vicious
02-18-2003, 09:42 PM
Heidi,

I am also thinking and praying each day, and like Vicki I am at a loss for appropriate words right now except to say that you are encircled here by a steadfast family, each one very proud of you.

Sid

cueball1950
02-18-2003, 09:53 PM
Heide.. words cannot describe what i am feeling. When you see him tomorrow please give him a BIG kiss and Hug from all of us here and tell him that he is in all our prayers and thoughts everyday and that we are all fighting for him to make it. They say that God answers all prayers. Well with all of us praying for him we have to hope that he hears all of us and pulls him thru this............Mike

Karatemom
02-18-2003, 10:08 PM
Okay, I called, like I do every nite to check on Chris. The nurse said he is doing much better. His fever is way down, almost to normal, they took his dosage of sedation meds down enough so he is breathing a little better. Things are finally starting to look up. I was so happy I had to call a good friend and talked for about an hour!!!!! I truly believe that he wouldn't be better if it wasn't for everyone here and their support, thoughts, and prayers. I'm sure there's more down the road to deal with, but just knowing that he has managed to improve enough is good enough for me. I took the day off of work tomorrow so I will post all the new details tomorrow. Thanks to everyone for everything!!!!!!! Couldn't ask for a better bunch of friends!

Heide ~ had one too many Heineken's tonite so sorry if this is a little goofy, LOL

WesK
02-18-2003, 10:16 PM
Outstanding.

snipershot
02-18-2003, 10:48 PM
It's great to hear Chris has improved a little, reading through this entire post shows just how much of a roller coaster ride it really has been for us, I can't imagine what it's been like for you with all the ups and downs, hang in there, Snipershot.

Troy
02-19-2003, 12:47 AM
Just when you thought things were looking bleak, things started looking much better. Keep your faith up Heide, some things just take time.

Troy...~~~ Pulling for Chris (and Heide)

bluewolf
02-19-2003, 05:52 AM
I am so happy to hear about this, Heidi!!! I know you must feel so relieved

blu

Rich R.
02-19-2003, 06:28 AM
That is great news Heide. Chris is going to come through this with flying colors.
Keep in mind, a pool player may be down, but he never gives up. The CCB is backing Chris in this match. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kato
02-19-2003, 10:25 AM
I'm not sure who you were talking to Heide but the call lasted 64 minutes.
/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Kato

Jon from MN
02-19-2003, 10:58 AM
I dont know how you do it {but keep it up} Im a emoitional basket case my self I wake up and the first thing I do is look here to see how your doing {cris too} the last thing I do before I go to bed is include you all in my prayers I will continue until everyone is home where they belong. Jon

Barbara
02-19-2003, 11:06 AM
This is great news, Heide!!

And I hope you were at least close at Clue last night! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Barbara~~~it was the butler with the Fuzzy Navel in the library... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Karatemom
02-19-2003, 04:02 PM
Even better news today. His temp went down even more, from 99.7 to 99.5. I know that doesn't seem like much, but believe me, it means a lot these days. His white blood cell count went way up this morning. This is good and bad. Bad because there obviously is an infection brewing somewhere inside his chest which is being treated by antibiotics. Good because that means that his body is responding. After all those weeks of radiation and chemo, his immune system was shot to heck. Knowing that it is now back to normal and working just fine is a definite boost and good sign. There still is a little yellow-green drainage from his chest tube, which usually is a sign of infection, but they're going to let him stay right where he's at to gain strength and keep him on the antiobiotics. If the fever hasn't disappeared and there is still drainage from the tube, they will take him in for a CAT scan later on when he's a little stronger. They feel that moving him, especially off the ventilator right now, would do more harm than good. I happen to agree. The nurses and doctors have been wonderful about answering my questions. So today was a very slight improvement, but an improvement all the same.

Heide

Karatemom
02-19-2003, 04:04 PM
What'd you do, time it? hahahahaha. I definitely needed it. It is so nice to talk about other things once in a while. But talking about Chris makes me feel so much better.

Heide ~ the Heineken helped a little, too, LOL

Karatemom
02-19-2003, 04:08 PM
There is no way I could do any of this without all of you helping me through it. Christ is also a huge help. He has been my "rock" through it all. I found out today that he gets depressed at school and doesn't play too much anymore. He doesn't show this side to me, but I guess I knew it was there all along. I keep him informed of everything so he knows what's really happening. Unfortunately, he has had to mature a little more than the rest of his friends. He is a good kid and has a strong will. He will be okay. He's got me, his dad, and all of you with him as well.

Heide

Karatemom
02-19-2003, 04:11 PM
Usually, I beat the daylights out of him at any and all board games. But since I was, shall we say, just slightly toasted, he managed to get 2 games on me. That's okay. If he doesn't win one once in a while, he gets discouraged, LOL.

Heide ~ will have another Heineken tonite after I get my 4th tattoo

WaltVA
02-19-2003, 04:15 PM
Heide - Thanks for the update and good news; we're all behind Chris and it's a matter of one step at a time. Just take care of yourself, too. Prayers for you all are ongoing.

Walt in VA

Troy
02-19-2003, 04:45 PM
Day by day, Heide, one day at a time, Chris will improve !!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

bluewolf
02-19-2003, 09:10 PM
Heide, That is great news about Chris! And keep up the work on those Heinekins too. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

blu

Rich R.
02-20-2003, 04:57 AM
That is what we like, good news two days in a row. Keep that good news coming. I know Chris is getting stronger. He'll be dancing around a pool table in no time.
Notice how I keep this "pool related". /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Karatemom
02-20-2003, 02:38 PM
Lots of news today. His fever is back up to 101-102. That's the bad news. Now for the good. They lowered his oxygen intake to 40%, which is good. It was at 60, 20 is norm. They did do a CAT scan today and found some fluid near his left lung. They're going to put a left side chest tube him either this evening or tomorrow morning. This will do one or two things: alleviate the pressure on his lung, and possibly get rid of some of the infection in his chest cavity. Also, they said that one of his wounds is oozing. That is also good because now they have a better idea of what they're dealing with and can treat it better. He was more awake today than usual, and actually could look at me and try to mouth some words. I told him that there were over 60 people here on the board telling him to get his a** back in gear, plus everyone at the ph and all the family.

I'm so glad I've got you guys behind us.

Heide ~ newly tattooed with strength and hope

WaltVA
02-20-2003, 03:12 PM
Heide - Sounds like the doctors are right on top of everything and he's moving out of the woods. Thanks for the update and take care -

Walt in VA

Ross
02-20-2003, 03:13 PM
Thanks for the update, Heidi. Sounds like good news to me! Go CC! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rod
02-20-2003, 03:25 PM
Hi Heide,
That is good news. I was wondering what the CAT Scan would reveal. Without that it is just an educated guess. The marvels of modern medicine. With the problem areas located they know what and where to treat. I'll bet in the next two or three days his condition will improve a fair amount and his temperature start leveling out. I sure hope so, poor guy
must feel terrible stuck in one position.

Just one question, what kind of tattoo and where is it? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Best wishes as always,

Rod

Karatemom
02-20-2003, 03:28 PM
The bed moves him around by air bubbles. It also vibrates, but he's in no condition, well, you know, /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif. Anyway, I sure hope it gets better from here.

My tattoo is a necklace that goes all the way around my neck. From it, I had the Chinese symbol for strength and the symbol for hope tattoed. It looks very nice. 4 down, who knows how many to go. Three of them are for him, and one is for my mom. Who's next? hahahahahahahaha

Heide

Troy
02-20-2003, 03:36 PM
Sounds like the good news is going to be coming like a flood from here on Heide.

Troy

Tom_In_Cincy
02-20-2003, 04:47 PM
Can't wait to hear the old guy complaining about not getting enough attention..

Love all ya all...

snipershot
02-20-2003, 05:01 PM
Were behind you all the way Heide, good luck to Chris as he continues to improve, hang in there and Chris will be shooting pool in not time.

Barbara
02-20-2003, 05:12 PM
Heide,

That's a LOT better news!! Maybe his fever's up because of the "oozing". But thank God it's not an abcess! And thank God he's doing better with the oxygen, too!!

Okay!! Time for a Heine, Heide!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Barbara`~~or will she upgrade to Fuzzy Navels? /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Kato
02-20-2003, 06:21 PM
Looks good. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Kato~~~a little upset that it's not of me. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SPetty
02-20-2003, 06:25 PM
Hi Heide,

Glad to hear things are a little better. Take care of that little boy. The big boy will take care of himself. Well, more or less... /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Karatemom:</font><hr> My tattoo is a necklace that goes all the way around my neck. <hr /></blockquote>So, I don't know anything about tattoos, but does it look good enough now to get a picture and put it up on your web site? (Or does it look ugly and red and swollen...?)

cheesemouse
02-20-2003, 06:54 PM
come on Chris.............

Karatemom
02-20-2003, 07:39 PM
Just talked to the nurse. They're going to put the chest tube in him tonite and wash out inside his chest cavity and get him all nice and squeaky clean. Such good news. I'm just ecstatic.

Okay, I'll go put the tat on my website now. It'll be at the bottom. It's still a little red and puffy, but it does look good.

Heide

Jon from MN
02-20-2003, 10:27 PM
Thats great news. We need that kind of news. I know it wont be long and cris will be giving us some more pointers about pool. As far as the tats go cool beans! my oldest brother has his whole upper body done as well as some work on both legs. It fits him pretty good on his custom harley 3 wheeler about 35,000.00 worth. looking forward to tommorows news Im sure it will be all good. ~~Jon~~

Rich R.
02-21-2003, 05:00 AM
Thanks for the news Heide. Although Chris is not yet chasing the nurses down the hall, it sounds good.
Of course, if he was chasing the nurses, YOU would make sure he REALLY needed a doctor. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Keep us posted. We are with you.

eg8r
02-21-2003, 07:13 AM
Yup, we are still here waiting and praying.

eg8r

SPetty
02-21-2003, 09:09 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Karatemom:</font><hr> Okay, I'll go put the tat on my website now. <hr /></blockquote>Hi Heide,

Nice to hear some good news about Chris. Hopefully they'll get all that bad icky stuff out of there and he can get on with it.

Thanks for the pic. Mind if I share it with the board?

http://members.aol.com/karatemom815/images/strength%20&amp;%20hope%20tattoo.jpg

(Chinese symbol for strength and for hope)

I don't think I've actually ever seen a tattoo like this one before. I did know a guy who had a Chinese symbol on his upper right chest - I think he said it was "peace".

bluewolf
02-21-2003, 09:30 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Karatemom:</font><hr> Okay, I'll go put the tat on my website now. <hr /></blockquote>

Hi Heide,

Nice to hear some good news about Chris. Hopefully they'll get all that bad icky stuff out of there and he can get on with it.

Thanks for the pic. Mind if I share it with the board?

http://members.aol.com/karatemom815/images/strength%20&amp;%20hope%20tattoo.jpg

(Chinese symbol for strength and for hope)

<hr /></blockquote>

Heide, it is so good to hear that Chris is getting better. I bet he will be 'chatty' in no time!!!

BTW, I like your new tattoo. I have been trying to get up the nerve to get one for some time but keep changing my mind about what I want. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Laura

9 Ball Girl
02-21-2003, 09:39 AM
Damn that's a pretty tattoo! http://www.smilies.org/basesmilies3/icon_super.gif

Wendy~~will be getting the 3rd one come April/May

Karatemom
02-21-2003, 04:48 PM
Same ole, same ole. Not much change. They put a chest tube in and it is draining alot of crap. His temp is still elevated and he's still on the vent. Vitals are all good. They have called in an infectious disease dr to test the contents of the chest tube and he's the expert who can tell what's causing the infection, where it's coming from, and how to treat it. Said it might take a couple of days, trial and error stuff, but he will be well taken care of. I just want him healthy again. Hopefully, they'll figure out the infection crap, take care of it, get him off the vent, back in a regular room, and home. Best case scenario: 1 week. I don't even think about worst case.

Thank you Wendy for the balloons and bear, and anonymous for the gift. It will be put to good use.

Heide

Troy
02-21-2003, 05:49 PM
Chris will be OK Heide. The Doc will figure out the source of the infection.

Troy

Tom_In_Cincy
02-21-2003, 06:21 PM
We worry and cry and laugh and smile with you... thanks for keeping us updated..

Karatemom
02-22-2003, 01:05 PM
Today is a good day. His temp is down, his lungs are much clearer and they took him off his sedation meds and untied his wrists. They've got him on 3 antibiotics for the infection, the vent, and an anti-anxiety med. Things are looking up. He can't talk because of the vent, but he can mouth things. The nurses understand him, I make him write it down. He cracks jokes and everything. He loves the spongebob scrub that one of the nurses wears. There's one nurse that he really likes. His name is Marty. He is real good. I'm going back up in a little while and will update later if need be.

Heide

Tom_In_Cincy
02-22-2003, 01:11 PM
Heide,

Thanks again for taking time for the updates.

soon we will all be home and a big happy family again.

WaltVA
02-22-2003, 01:51 PM
Thanks for the update and the good news - makes my day a lot brighter!

Walt in VA

Karatemom
02-22-2003, 02:05 PM
As soon as I get home from the hospital every day, I sit at the computer first thing and write his family, then the CCB family. You guys are family and I appreciate everything.

Heide

Barbara
02-22-2003, 02:19 PM
This is great to hear, Heide!!! Keep it coming!!

Barbara

Troy
02-22-2003, 02:48 PM
GREAT NEWS !!!!! Keep it coming Heide... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Troy

Sid_Vicious
02-22-2003, 04:23 PM
Sun is shining, birds are singing(in No. TX)
and Chris is cracking jokes. I call this a super day! Thanks Heidi...sid~~~spent the day hauling a new Harley to it's new home for my main pool partner

Karatemom
02-22-2003, 04:33 PM
I usually get all my stats on Chris from the nurses. But today I managed to nab the dr. He said he was very pleased with the chest tube and everything else. Things are definitely on the rise! Chris was sleeping when I got there this afternoon, so I replaced his flowers, talked to him for about 15 minutes, then left so he could rest. He's doing so good!

Heide

Karatemom
02-22-2003, 04:34 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> Sun is shining, birds are singing(in No. TX)
and Chris is cracking jokes. I call this a super day! Thanks Heidi...sid~~~spent the day hauling a new Harley to it's new home for my main pool partner <hr /></blockquote>

A new Harley, huh? Sounds like fun!

Heide ~ definitely a super day!

9 Ball Girl
02-22-2003, 05:43 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Karatemom:</font><hr>Thank you Wendy for the balloons and bear, and anonymous for the gift. It will be put to good use.

As long as it makes you guys smile everytime you look at it, it's all worth it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Jon from MN
02-22-2003, 06:50 PM
Thanks for the updates you just made my day!!! peace to you ~~~Jon~~~

bluewolf
02-22-2003, 07:24 PM
Heide, This is the best news I have heard for a long time!!! Horaah!!!!

Laura

Voodoo Daddy
02-23-2003, 07:44 AM
Nice to know that Chris is a hit with the male nurses...HAHAHAHAHAHA...opps...lol!!

Rich R.
02-23-2003, 08:51 AM
Heide, I love good news in the moring, when I log on the CCB. Keep it coming.
I love that, through all this, Chis is still cracking jokes. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ross
02-23-2003, 10:08 AM
Yaaaaay! Great news. Says something about Chris that he can be cracking jokes after what he has been through!

Eric.
02-23-2003, 10:34 AM
Glad to hear all is going wel. I guess it's like the Alcoholics say "One Day At A Time" /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif (I hate that bumper sticker)

Eric

Karatemom
02-23-2003, 02:09 PM
Still about the same today. Not much change. His temp is hovering between 99 - 100, which it has ben for the past week. Sometimes it'll get over 100, but not very often.

He was sleeping this afternoon so I didn't want to bother him too much with conversation. He needs his rest.

They seem to be weaning him off the ventilator. The nurses were too busy to bother. For the past week, his vent has been very steady breaths. Today, it was one deep, one short breath, trying to get his lungs back to normal again. He's just below 40% oxygen, too.

Other than that, nothing new. Christ has a birthday party to go to tonite and I'm going over to Dad's for dinner, fried chicken and mashed potatoes and gravy.

Heide

Kato
02-23-2003, 06:29 PM
Yummy. Happy birthday to Christ.

Kato

Karatemom
02-23-2003, 07:34 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr> Yummy. Happy birthday to Christ.

Kato <hr /></blockquote>
Sorry, his birthday isn't til August. It was his friend's from school. Going to Jungle Bungle for pizza and games.

Heide

Troy
02-23-2003, 08:36 PM
Little by little Heide. More progress every day. Good news... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Troy

Kato
02-23-2003, 10:14 PM
Jungle Bungle? Is that anything like Billy Bob's Oasis?

Kato

Karatemom
02-23-2003, 10:21 PM
hahahahahaha. Yeah, just a smaller version. Instead of beer-bellied men standing around a bar eating pretzels and drinking beer, you have hyper 10 year olds running around eating pizza and drinking pop. Which is worse?

Heide

Rod
02-24-2003, 12:35 AM
Most everything being about normal is always good news Heide. I have a feeling the antibiotics etc are going to start kicking in here shortly. I imagine it just takes a little longer considering what his condition was.
Dinner sounds good tonight, plus a little conversation helps pass the time.

Rod

#### leonard
02-24-2003, 07:55 AM
Heide out of town for a few days. Glad to read he is improving. ####

Karatemom
02-24-2003, 01:21 PM
Well, they called for consent to place a 3rd chest tube in him. I was a little concerned about this seeing as how he already has 2. But, it sounded reasonable to me in the end, so I consented. This one will be placed further behind the other on the left side, so as to drain more fluid and hopefully get rid of that nasty infection and fever. I have a call put in to the dr to ask a few questions as well. His temp was 100.7 and was resting comfortably, as usual. If there is anything new I hear from the dr, will let everyone know.

Heide ~ thanks Rich for the card, will get it to Chris ASAP.

Jon from MN
02-24-2003, 01:48 PM
I hope you have plumbers insurance. just kidding Im sure they just want to get rid of the fluid it sounds like that is the only think holding him back. Im sure he will be out of there soon. ~~Jon~~

bluewolf
02-24-2003, 01:52 PM
Heide, Thanks for the update. It sounds like your doctors are treating Chris real aggressively, which is a very good thing. When someone is as sick as he has been, sometimes they have to add more antibiotics also to get those nasty bugs.

He really sounds to me that he is doing wonderful. I know that it is nerve wracking but you seem to be doing great with all of this.

Laura

Rich R.
02-24-2003, 02:09 PM
I just hope they are not going to charge but the foot for all this tubing. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

This may be the key to getting all of that nasty stuff out of Chris.

Tom_In_Cincy
02-24-2003, 02:39 PM
Still thinking about you and your family.. Chris and Christ are very lucky to have such a strong and caring woman in their lives.

Barbara
02-24-2003, 03:05 PM
Keep it coming Heide! Hopefully that infection will give up real soon.

Barbara

Karatemom
02-24-2003, 04:51 PM
You guys crack me up. Believe me, I don't laugh as much as I used to, but it feels good when I do. Anyhoo, met with the infectious disease dr today. Very attrative young European lady. Strong European accent, can't remember her name though. Anyway, Chris'll like her when he comes around, LOL. They are going to try and narrow down the bacteria causing the infection. They took samples from all over the place today. He is stable now and that's good.

I got some pretty good news, in a way. They have no doubt that he will make it through all of this, they're just not sure how long it will take him to do so. They had a patient in a very similar situation, took him 3 months before he got home. Now I can go as long as I have to, but I don't have to like it!!!!

Just wanted to let everyone know that he will be fine, just don't know how long til he gets there.

Heide

Troy
02-24-2003, 10:27 PM
There was never ny doubt in my mind Heide. You just need to hang in.

Troy

Rich R.
02-25-2003, 05:21 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Karatemom:</font><hr> They have no doubt that he will make it through all of this<hr /></blockquote> <font color="blue">We knew that all along. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif </font color>

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Karatemom:</font><hr> Now I can go as long as I have to, but I don't have to like it!!!! <hr /></blockquote> <font color="red">You CAN do it. </font color>

Thanks for the updates. I look forward to them each day. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Fred Agnir
02-25-2003, 09:44 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Karatemom:</font><hr> Anyhoo, met with the infectious disease dr today. Very attrative young European lady. Strong European accent, can't remember her name though. <hr /></blockquote>
What's her high run?

Fred

Kato
02-25-2003, 10:50 AM
Good question Fred!!!!!!

Kato~~~is thinking perhaps his next girlfriend should be a pool player.

Rich R.
02-25-2003, 12:57 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr> Good question Fred!!!!!!

Kato~~~is thinking perhaps his next girlfriend should be a pool player. <hr /></blockquote>
Kato, I didn't know you had a death wish????? /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Kato
02-25-2003, 02:33 PM
Women are a life sentence. I wish I didn't want another one but I sure enough do.

Kato

Karatemom
02-25-2003, 03:30 PM
More good news.

1. His abdomen has been severely swollen for 2 weeks, and it has gone down alot.

2. His right side chest tube has almost completely stopped draining and should be able to be taken out soon.

3. He should be able to get off the vent in 1 to 2 days as he is almost breathing completely on his own now.

4. Almost forgot, his lungs show no sign of damage and are quite clear.

So-so news:

1. His 2 left side chest tubes are still draining fluid.

2. His temp is still up.

They are trying to find ways to get that infection out of him. It's still pretty much trial and error but as soon as anything new comes up, I will let you all know.

Heide

nAz
02-25-2003, 03:35 PM
/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

WaltVA
02-25-2003, 04:12 PM
Heide - Sounds good! Thanks again for the updates.

Walt in VA

Jon from MN
02-25-2003, 04:21 PM
Heide keep it comming girl. With more news like that I might get off my zolof lol talk to you soon! Jon

Tom_In_Cincy
02-25-2003, 05:14 PM
Heide,
Thanks for the update.. things are looking good.. can't wait til you tell us he's heading home..

Rod
02-25-2003, 05:32 PM
Heide,
That is good news, as other parts heal it gives the body less areas for his immune system to deal with. Then it can focus more on other problem areas. That is my weak mentality on the issue. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif It will be like heaven when he gets off that dam vent. I'd be chomping at the bit by now.

Rod

snipershot
02-25-2003, 08:32 PM
It's good to hear things are going well for Chris, hopefully he'll be home soon.

Bob
02-25-2003, 09:29 PM
Heide,
Our prayers and love are with you both.

Bob and Eydie Romano

Leviathan
02-25-2003, 10:28 PM
Hello, Heide. It's great to hear that Chris is making progress. What about you--have you got over your pneumonia? Geez, everything always comes at once, you know it?

I've completed my move and have settled in at my new place. There are trees and birds in this neighborhood, and it doesn't take long to get into the countryside from here. It isn't Tahiti, but it's okay.

Been playing some pool. I've found a couple of decent rooms and am playing pretty well, for me. Playing in new rooms and against new opponents always gives me a boost. There's some action here, but this isn't really a serious pool town--not that I'm a gambler anyway.

Well, we think about you often. Take good care of yourself and tell Chris I said hi.

Regards,

Duke

Karatemom
02-25-2003, 11:55 PM
Thank you, Duke. Yes, I have finally gotten over my pneumonia, after 10 days worth of antibiotics. There is a bug out here that is affecting everyone. I'm glad I've been through it, but something tells me it's not over yet. My son has a nasty cough, and I've got a slight one. There have been between 50 and 100 kids at school get called in sick every day for about the past week.

Any place you can call home is good. I'm glad you like your new area. Ours is similar, but instead of countryside, we have cornfields, LOL. We don't get very many big money games here either, but since I'm not much of a gambler either, doesn't matter to me, /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

I've been shooting on Mondays and Tuesdays in the evening, but will be cutting down to just Tuesdays. Leagues will end here in a few weeks, so then I just don't know when I'll shoot.

Thank you for your thoughts. Tell Valerie I said hello and take care.

Heide

Rich R.
02-26-2003, 05:39 AM
The first four items sound like great news to me. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif That is very good progress.
As for the others, I'm sure they will come around. As a pool player, you know, just shoot one ball at a time. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif I like to keep it pool related. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

bluewolf
02-26-2003, 05:54 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Karatemom:</font><hr> Thank you, Duke. Yes, I have finally gotten over my pneumonia, after 10 days worth of antibiotics. There is a bug out here that is affecting everyone. I'm glad I've been through it, but something tells me it's not over yet. My son has a nasty cough, and I've got a slight one. There have been between 50 and 100 kids at school get called in sick every day for about the past week.

I've been shooting on Mondays and Tuesdays in the evening, but will be cutting down to just Tuesdays. Leagues will end here in a few weeks, so then I just don't know when I'll shoot.

Heide,

Please be careful to take acidilophillus to replenish the good bacteria in your system. I did not do this and was very sick in the fall. I had bronchitis, followed by pneumonia and a total of 20 days of antibiotics. Then since I did not take any kind of bacterial replacement, I ended up in the hospital twice with this nasty clostridium. So, in essence, what started as a respiratory problem, ended up worse and was brought on by being on antibiotics for a long time.

Take care.

Laura