PDA

View Full Version : Fast Larry responds

02-15-2003, 05:00 PM
My only purpose in posting my views was hopefully to turn over some of my knowledge of what I have learned to the players searching for correct answers. There was no other motive in this. This is a free country, we should exercise the right of free speech, & every ones opinion should be welcome, & considered. You don't have to agree with me. If my opinion differs from your's, such is life. You just hold on to your's, I'll hold on to mine. If you can show me I am wrong, or your way is better than mine, then I'll dump my previous view & follow yours. I have learned a lot, because I dont carve anything in stone that I teach. What I dont need is to state an opinion, and then get ridiculed, demeanded & have mud thrown on me. Those who do this, are not being professional, and they only want to run off those who disagee with them, or who may compete with them. Keep running off new opinions, and you may as well close this form down. Mark Twain said the only reason you have a horse race, is two people have two different opinions. A person said I was bragging on my break, I hold the break record, 8 balls made, I did it, therefore this is a statement of fact, and not a brag. I have 7 balls going in on the break on my video tape, if you want to see how to break the balls perfectly, buy the tape, but dont act like I am lieing about it, because everything I have done, has been proved by the Guninness world book of records & standards. None of my world records are in dispute with the experts of the game, only my jealous competitors run them down. One said I claimed 2296 records, how silly is that, go to my web site www.fastlarrypool.com. (http://www.fastlarrypool.com.) I only claim 20 that have been verified. Sorry bubba, it's no brag, just fact, sorry you cant deal with this. I am sorry I can do things you cannot do, this is your problem, not my problem. One said I have a fargin dog who is the star of my show, ha ha...Yes this is true, I am very proud of Wonder Dog, he was on National prime time TV twice last week, he also recently was flown out to Hollywood to star on the premier of a new prime time show & compete for $25,000. To the guy running my dog down, sir, how many prime time shows have you been on? This dog is for real, he runs racks, does actual trick shots, and sings, reads, writes & talks. If you dont believe it, come see him perform at the Allen Hopkins Expo. I am sorry you dont like dogs, but 56 million american's have & love dogs, & Wonder Dog is loved by the media, and dog owners. No body can follow his act, including you. I have been on more prime time national network TV shows, more times, more appearances in the last 3 years, than any other player in the country. Once more, no brag, just fact. Why am I getting on TV & you guys can't, could it be I am doing something people like? Is not that then good for pool? I am not going to go tit for tat for every person who wants to run me down, if that makes you feel good, go for it. I just think having these violent angry reactions & attacking people is wrong, dont throw mud on me, be intellignet, tell me where I am wrong, who know's, I could be right, did you ever consider this? This is my only response on this, and as far as seeing me spend time giving the players my time & my knowledge in the future for free, forget it, grief like this I dont need. I just wanted you to know you accomplished what you set out to do, ridicule & embarrass me so I would go away, well by happy, you succeded. My parting advice to the players, shoot straignt, innovate & never give up. Fast love ya. "Fast Larry" Guninger & Wonder Dog

02-15-2003, 05:07 PM
I was going to type another long post, but why bother. I'll summarize:

With an attitude like that -- good riddance...

David

Popcorn
02-15-2003, 05:30 PM
Friend, you embarrassed yourself.

02-15-2003, 06:05 PM
OK, veteran posters here, help me out. With a wife and 3 year old son, and a very demanding job, I don't make it out to a pool playing establishment very often. I am fortunate enough to have a regulation size home table, so I do still get to play, but I don't get to engage in "pool talk" with the guys at the pool hall. The CCB fills this void for me. I come here for the latest tidbits in the pool world, and some light conversation. Some (many) of the threads lately have degraded to arguments. As I haven't been hanging around here that long, please reassure me this is just a case of a few bad apples taking this WAY too seriously. This board (and others) are for people with common interests to get together and share ideas, and have a good time. That is why I'm here. So, to Fast Larry: as I said in an earlier post, I respect everyone's ideas, yours included. Your presence and your ideas should be welcome, so long as you exhibit respect for the ideas of the others here.

landshark1002000
02-15-2003, 06:12 PM
Hi DMORRIS:
Most of us would agree that Willie Mosconi was one of the finest pool players who ever lived. Several Mosconi stories have been posted here, many are first-hand accounts. I never met the man. But reading these stories about this very brilliant player reminds me that brilliance can also be arrogant or even bad tempered. These stories paint Willie this way.
I grew up in Rochester, New York. Irving Crane regularly practiced at the local pool hall near my home. My Dad and I often played our bumbling game of eight ball just two tables away from a world champion. Crane came in neatly dressed in a suit and tie. He played straight pool, quietly running rack after rack beside us.
We never spoke to him. Instead we respected his time and his privacy. It never occurred to us to request anything from him. All we ever shared was an occasional nod and a smile.
I've never asked my Dad, but I think if that had been Mosconi (with his angry antics) -- we would have moved to a different table.
Attitude does matter. We respect both of these men for their accomplishments. But my Dad and I would only call one of them professional. Respect is something given to you for just being human. Keeping it is something you maintain by admitting you're human.
I may not like someone's unprofessional attitude. But if he admits to being human, made a mistake, was misunderstood ... sounds like he wants to be forgiven ...
Why not?
Even the meanest, grumpiest, human so-and-so (like me before coffee in the morning) is worth the gift of another chance. He may be no Irving Crane but even a Willie (like me) deserves a chance at forgiveness.
--Ted in Phoenix

cheesemouse
02-15-2003, 06:16 PM
Geez Larry, if you'd of taken the time to get to know me you'da figured out what I said was a complement...and by the way I am a dog lover but my problem is I try to train them but they hypnotize me somehow and six months later I'm the one who got trained, it's happened with three dogs now. If my present dog liked to play pool I'm sure I would be his rack boy also....cheers......

Troy
02-15-2003, 06:17 PM
A word to the wise Larry... The next time you walk into someone's living room (yes, this is our CCB "living room"), try being friendly prior to telling folks how they are wrong and stupid, before you start bragging about your accomplishments without substantiation, and before you start trying to sell stuff.

You just might find that there is a wealth of knowledge here and these folks are more than willing to share it.

Troy

02-15-2003, 06:21 PM
banker, I think most if not all of the regulars here respect everyone's opinion, whether or not they agree with it. You don't have to worry about that. I certainly respect everyone's opinions, and despite 25 years of playing this game, I learn something just about every time I log onto this board. And sometimes I disagree, but that's fine.

It's *how* that opinion is offered that turns people off and gets people's dander up. I don't know if you've gone and read all of Larry's posts in the last 24 hours or so, but if you haven't, take a minute and do so (click on his name, then Show All User's Posts). You'll see that virtually every one of them comes off in an offensive, holier-than-thou tone without respect and regard for the person(s) he was replying to. It was like this was a forum of kindergarteners and he was the big bad pool expert here to assert himself as master of the subject and tell *everyone* that they were wrong and should listen to him. Sheesh.

I don't normally post like this either. Heck, I didn't say a word about CW's Pool School and all of that fiasco of the past week. But this guy takes the cake, and I couldn't contain myself any longer. I still have a hard time believing this guy acts like this "in real life" -- I'm wondering if it's not just a show to establish some publicity for himself, his school, and his "wonder dog." He certainly wouldn't walk into most of the pool halls *I've* hung out in and start spouting off like that.

Harrumph...

David

bluewolf
02-15-2003, 06:22 PM
Likes dogs better than most people but pretty sure I like something different in them than Larry does

blu-----> alaskan malamutes are smarter than certain people /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

02-15-2003, 06:32 PM
landshark, I agree about Mosconi. He is certainly a legend, if not *the* legend. But if he himself were alive today and came in here with that attitude, I would feel the same about it. If he didn't leave, I would (or at least stop posting, for fear of being ridiculed). I don't care how gifted the artist, athlete, or professional, I have no patience for impudence and disrespect, regardless of their accomplishments.

Now, don't get me wrong, I can tolerate a certain amount of "eccentricity" and arrogance in somebody who can back up what they say. However, Larry entered this board as a stranger, so to speak, and immediately commenced to spew obnoxious rhetoric in every post. Not a good way to win the hearts and minds of the people, especially when we have the likes of Scott Lee and Fran Crimi here, who are a shining example of how to help us lesser players. Even Charlie Williams, despite the constant attacks made on him on this board, has shown that he can post in a respectful manner.

I never questioned Fast Larry's accomplishments or abilities. I'll take him at his word that he is as good as he says, and others have said he puts on a good show. Fine. The more pros we have here, the better. As long as they check their bad attitude at the door.

Sorry for the rant(s) on this, but it's been building since Larry's first post, and my pressure valve just blew. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

David

02-15-2003, 06:42 PM
I agree, David. Unfortunately, I HAVE read some of Larry's recent posts, and a couple were even directed at me, or at least the ideas I was joining in on. I took exception and posted rebuttals to Larry also. I believe in being civil here and trying to have a good time, but none of our ideas should be belittled. I'll stick around here and hope the bad apples reform, or go away if they must.

snipershot
02-15-2003, 08:39 PM
I'm not questioning what you have accomplished is true or not, but people don't want to hear about I did this or I did that, it's great if you did but I could honestly give a rats a$$. Give us your knowledge not your portfolio of accomplishments.

beerwolf
02-15-2003, 09:06 PM
Well, you people have gone and done it again. The biggest celebrity in the pool world to ever post here at the Chaulk Board and you've gone and driven him off after just one day.

Wonder Dog, please accept my sincere apologies for the treatment you've gotten from these rude humans. I would be honored to meet you next month at Valley Forge. Perhaps we could lap up some suds together, that is, if that slavedriver, Larry, will give you a break. It must be tough working those long hours and carrying the show all the time.
BW

Fran Crimi
02-15-2003, 09:57 PM
Hi Fast Larry,

We never met but I would like to meet you. There was a thread here not long ago where people were saying how they missed the 'characters' we used to have in the game. I think you're one of those characters. You've got one hell of a shtick going. In fact I'm packed and ready to go to your school, but under one condition...that wonder dog teaches the class.

I grew up in the same school you did. Years ago, a conversation among pool players was 'the one who yelled loudest, won.' That's the way it was and it was accepted by everybody. In fact, if you didn't yell, no one would listen to you. There was no worrying about hurting somebody's feelings. Words like 'please', 'excuse me', 'if you don't mind'...pool players didn't have time for that back then. They just cut to the chase.

People would've HATED Minnesotta Fats if he posted here. He would've come off all wrong. But we still talk about him to this day and they guy got inducted into the Hall of Fame.

I think you can be a whole lot of fun to post with and can add some real color to the CCB. You shouldn't have to change who you are, but maybe a few please's and thanks thrown in at that right places might make a better impression.

And whatever you do----don't hawk your goods too much. We just got finished with a big debate on that whole thing. The owners here don't want people selling suff.

Stick around.

Regards,
Fran

SPetty
02-15-2003, 10:54 PM
Wow. In and out in less than 24 hours, with 20 posts under your belt. That's got to be a CCB record of some kind, eh?

Stick around a little and get to know us. Perhaps soften your delivery a bit and give (some of) us a little credit for knowing a litle something...

SPetty~~~kinda wishes there were some other regular posters that would come and go so quickly... hahaha /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Tom_In_Cincy
02-15-2003, 11:22 PM
SPetty,
Good to hear others say those kind words about our dealy departed posters.. regular or the "duck in and duck out" ones.

It would be nice if they showed some little bit of manners. Introduce themself.. and then speak in a normal tone..

02-16-2003, 01:57 AM
all this entertainment and it's completely free? what a country!

well, larry, 'ol pal, i'd just as soon you stick around since you're at least interesting but if you gotta go you can...

but wonder dog stays. if he's running racks then give him the keyboard and go on about your rat-killin. bye-bye. so long. hasta.

so, wonder, or should i call you mr. dog? how long you been carryin that old coot? someone said you've got a good act and around here, that's high praise. tough room.

wonder, do you chalk your nose( i know you ain't using no predator 'cause you got that opposable didgits issue) and if you do then which brand do you prefer? i figure you'd be some kinda expert givin that dog-nose thing and all. sneeze much in matches? seems like that would be a foul, for you. anyway, we've also got the ccb-lite forum where you can post about other stuff besides pool. like if you've got anything you need to get off your chest about, well, maybe cats. so what's up with your pal larry? is he just old and cranky like some other folks around here i could mention but won't 'cause they're, well, old and cranky??

anyway, welcome and please contribute. we don't get a lot of input from performing dogs. at least that we know about. well, come to think about it there might be one or two but certainly none as famous as wonder dog.

dan...big wonder dog fan.

snipershot
02-16-2003, 11:28 PM
Beerwolf, I am simply saying that knowing Fast Larry's achievements is of absolutely no use to me, his knowledge of the game is of use to me. If I have driven him away do you honestly think it bothers me? I don't think I'm gonna lose much sleep over it that's for sure.

bluewolf
02-17-2003, 05:54 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote snipershot:</font><hr> Beerwolf, I am simply saying that knowing Fast Larry's achievements is of absolutely no use to me, his knowledge of the game is of use to me. If I have driven him away do you honestly think it bothers me? I don't think I'm gonna lose much sleep over it that's for sure. <hr /></blockquote>

I thought bw's post was funny. Did I miss something?

blu

Voodoo Daddy
02-17-2003, 09:27 AM
SPetty...20 posts in 24 hours...that hasnt been done by bluwolf/Dr. D/Tom_Cincy 20-30 times already?...HAHAHAHAHAHA. JUST KIDDIN TOM!!!HAHAHAHAHA

Tom_In_Cincy
02-17-2003, 09:33 AM
VDD...
You are sooooo right.. we do get carried away sometimes..

don't we..?

bluewolf
02-17-2003, 10:41 AM
Yup. It is either feast or famine so to speak. On my days off I am on the table and on ccb. When I am working I am lucky to make it to bed in time to get up the next day. &lt;LOL&gt;

blu