PDA

View Full Version : Selling on ebay

bluewolf
02-16-2003, 08:31 AM
I am thinking of selling some of our cues on ebay to get back some of the money I spent on my recent cue purchase, etc.

I have never sold anything on ebay so was wondering if anyone here could give me tips on how to do this.

Thanks.

blu

Popcorn
02-16-2003, 04:50 PM
Take good pictures, set a realistic reserve, put it on for 10 days, start it at 10 PM eastern time, answer email promptly, mainly, be honest about the cue, don't lie.. That is about it. It is a pretty good thing and cues seem to sell very easy if it is a fair deal. My nephew did over $30,000 last year on there in his spare time. He sell used car parts, mostly exotic. He spends his weekends at the wreck yard. then cleans them up, it is amazing, they pay what seems to me to be top dollars for his stuff. He is a car wholesaler and only works 3 days a week anyway at his regular job buying cars for certain dealers. As a single guy ebay has enabled him with my help to buy a very nice house and really get himself set. The people that don't know anything about ebay have no idea. It is one of the greatest things to come along in years.

SpiderMan
02-17-2003, 12:52 AM
Popcorn,

I too am thinking about selling some stuff on Ebay, both for myself and one of my co-workers who doesn't have internet. My stuff is sports-related, hers is collectible glassware.

I'm about to set up a Paypal account. How important do you think it is to get the type of account that allows people to pay by credit card? Problem is, with that type of account, Paypay charges the 3% commission on every transaction - even if the person did not use a credit card!

SpiderMan

Popcorn
02-17-2003, 02:00 AM
By all means get paypal. A lot of the purchases are impulse. The quicker and easier it is for them to pay the better. After a few days you may have to email them to remind them about it. It saves them the hassle of getting a money order. You transfer the money directly to your bank account. I do ebay also and I was just doing my books. I made $12,300 last year on there. What my nephew does is somewhat unique and he really knows what to get. The simplest thing may bring good money. I just looked and he had auctions finishing up totaling $250.+ tonight alone. He does have to pay for what he sells, but he may get something like visors off an old Jaguar or something for $10.00 and have them sell for $150. It is amazing. He really knows what to look for because he has been doing it for a while. I bought a collection of recurve bows at a garage sale for $50.00. There were six bows. One of them, a left handed Ben Pierson, brought $175.00 and the total for all the bows sold separately was $465.00. They were gone a week after I bought them. It is fun. You can't sell stuff they can just go to Kmart and buy but if it is something that may hard to find, it will sell. I will personal message you my nephews page and you can clock what he does. you will see I am not kidding. By the way, I sell a lot of billiard related stuff on there because that is my main interest, I have sold to some of the people that post here, because I recognize their email addresses. I am no expert at ebay, but I have been doing it for a while and know quite a bit about it. Ebay has a book you can get that will save you a lot of time, you can also go on their chat board any time of the day of night and get any question answered. People who do it like talking about it. It is the only thing I have run into that lived up to the hype and then some.

SpiderMan
02-17-2003, 03:10 AM
Popcorn,

I was already planning to get Paypal, my question was whether it is worth it to get credit-card service through Paypal - because they charge 3% on ALL transactions if they set you up for credit cards. By all transactions I mean they still charge you the 3% even for "cash" Paypal customers. If I don't go the CC option (just get regular Paypal), will that significantly impair my sales?

Also, what is the name of the book to help Ebay beginners,
and where do I get it?

SpiderMan

SPetty
02-17-2003, 08:03 AM
Hi Spiderman,

Emphatically, yes, get the PayPal that allows you to accept credit cards. I'm a somewhat experienced eBay shopper, and will only very rarely bid or buy if they don't take PayPal credit cards.

bluewolf
02-17-2003, 11:01 AM
My paypal is messed up. Apparently a while back I got an acct under a differant email. I forgot what it was and paypal will not let me open a different act with the same credit card. I wrote them and they never wrote me back.

blu

SPetty
02-17-2003, 01:03 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> Also, what is the name of the book to help Ebay beginners, and where do I get it?<hr /></blockquote>hahaha - interestingly enough, if you do an eBay search, several come up:

eBay search (http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?MfcISAPICommand=GetResult&amp;query=how+to+ sell+on+ebay+-webtv&amp;cgiurl=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.com%2Fws%2F&amp;ht= 1&amp;from=R10&amp;currdisp=2&amp;itemtimedisp=1&amp;st=2&amp;SortProp erty=MetaEndSort&amp;BasicSearch=)

Popcorn
02-17-2003, 05:09 PM
They have a number and you can just talk to someone that will look at your account. They were very nice and helped with no problem.