PDA

View Full Version : Valley Forge: The Final Report

SPetty
03-17-2002, 10:22 PM
I watched the semi-semi-finals between Helena Thornfeldt and Gerda Hofstatter, which Helena won. Helena went on to play Karen Corr, and Karen won. Karen then entered the finals to play Allison Fisher. The action was so continuous that I didn't have anything to eat all day. Barely got to the bathroom once! Good thing I don't smoke, I would have died from lack of nicotine, as it was a non-smoking venue. Oh, Allison won 7-2, I think, maybe 7-1. That was after the bout last night where Allison sent Karen to the loser's bracket with a score of 9-1! (She's back!)

I sat next to WPBA professional Julie Kelly during the semi finals and the finals. When I asked if she was rooting for Karen Corr or Allison Fisher, she said Karen, because they're both from Ireland. She was quite delightful.

Chris in NC and The Dragon really enjoyed the Allison Fisher/Karen Corr match. The last three matches (what I'm calling the semi-semi-finals and the semi-finals and the finals) were recorded for television, and that was interesting to see. They are/will be narrated by the Laurance's. By the way, you won't see me on the televised version, because I was sitting behind where the cameras were.

I also got to know up-and-comer WPBA pro Leslie Rogers from Texas. Keep an eye out for her!

As promised, the men's finals came after the women's finals, so there wasn't a scheduling conflict. Troy "The Boy Toy" Frank won the men's finals against Mika "The Ice Man" Immonen.

"Oh, so that's how 8-ball is supposed to be played!" was my thought. One of Troy's breaks sank 5 balls! Leaving the arena after that match was over, the Valley 7' amateur tournament tables were all down, and the exhibitors were all packed up. Wow, they're quick. I went back to where Barbara was holding nuts for me, but all those people were all gone as well. Damn!

I never did find TomBrooklyn, but I came across CarolNYC right after the men's finals, about 15 minutes after she saw TomBrooklyn - said he was wearing a red shirt, but I still couldn't find him. I guess I just missed out on that shot of tequila! Rich R. dared me, so I had actually asked several people who looked something like the turtle pictures if their name was "Tom", but they weren't him.

By the way, Dr. D. is my new best friend. When I sent in for WPBA VIP tickets, they were all sold out. Dr. D. had to leave early, so she left her WPBA finals VIP tickets for me!

Wow. Being surrounded by hundreds and hundreds of people who also "get it"! How great is that! Let's do it again next weekend!

SPetty ~~ BTW, everyone talks funny up here, y'all! Good thing I'm fixin' to pack it up and headin' back to Texas in the morning!

cuechick
03-18-2002, 09:19 AM
Were the men's finals taped for tv?

Doctor_D
03-18-2002, 09:19 AM
Good morning:

It was a pleasure being able to spend some time with, as well as getting to know, you in Valley Forge. I look forward to catching up with you again soon.

Dr. D.

SPetty
03-19-2002, 11:41 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: cuechick:</font><hr> Were the men's finals taped for tv? <hr></blockquote>

Nope, that didn't happen. There was a camera there for a few minutes to take some film for a local television station, but that's it.

03-19-2002, 11:53 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: SPetty:</font><hr> I sat next to WPBA professional Julie Kelly during the semi finals and the finals. When I asked if she was rooting for Karen Corr or Allison Fisher, she said Karen, because they're both from Ireland.
<hr></blockquote>

Oh, so *that's* why she was cheering for Karen.

TomBrooklyn
03-19-2002, 01:21 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: SPetty:</font><hr> I never did find TomBrooklyn, but I came across CarolNYC right after the men's finals, about 15 minutes after she saw TomBrooklyn - said he was wearing a red shirt, but I still couldn't find him. I guess I just missed out on that shot of tequila! Rich R. dared me, so I had actually asked several people who looked something like the turtle pictures if their name was "Tom", but they weren't him.<hr></blockquote>Hi SPetty, as the mens finals ended late on Sunday, it took you too long to get a description of my attire. For the entire event, I wore a brand new blazing red windbreaker with the the large manufacturers name tag purposely left unremoved and hanging off the zipper, and I sported a nametag saying TOMBROOKLYN on the left lapel.

I had a complete physical description of you by midday Saturday and would have had it sooner except some of my informants were holding back as they were rooting for you to win a drink prizes. I am certain I would have recognized you had I seen you, and I also asked a few persons who remotely fit your description if they were you. It is a testament to the size and scope of the event that I could not find you. There were so many things to do and see, spread out over such a large area, that I think we all overestimated the logistical probability of bumping into each other. Sorry I missed you, we'll have to make more concrete arrangements next time. I also didn't see Mellisa H, Doctor D, and some others. There were so many things to do I didn't get a chance to focus on tracking everyone down, and had to hope we would just bump into each other. Scott Lee and VinceS found me and collected prizes. I saw Barbara and CarolNYC, and I found Chris from NC, Drayton, the MainEack, and a couple of others. A good time was had by all.