PDA

View Full Version : Update on Shaft/Tip Maintenance Tool + Marketing Question

SpiderMan
02-17-2003, 02:58 AM
OK, I revised the design since our thread from a couple weeks ago. I think it's a real improvement in both appearance and function, compared to the first prototypes. I square, center, and true everything on my lathe before attaching the parts together. I gave one to Sid Vicious, and he used it to complete an installation of the Sumo tip that Chris Cass sent him a few weeks ago. Sid reports that the new tool runs perfectly true and that he got a professional finish on his tip.

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/funkychateau/vwp?.dir=/SPetty+Predator+Talisman&.src=ph&.dnm=Shaft+Tool+O blique.jpg&.view=t&.done

My thought is that I might start cranking these out and packaging them with a brief instruction sheet for tip shaping, shaft burnishing, etc, with the idea of selling them on the internet or on Ebay. I'll have to do a real timestudy of how much effort goes into making them, but I think I would be OK if they would bring $20 or maybe $25. I'm looking for opinions on whether y'all think this would be a reasonable expectation. Are there enough folks out there in the billiard world interested in maintaining their own equipment to be worth my trouble?

I guess I could make up a few dozen and shop them around at the BCA nationals in May, just to get a reaction from players.

To the few people that I sent my wooden versions, hey, you test-drove a collector's item /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SpiderMan

Rip
02-17-2003, 10:42 AM
The new photo looks great! Like a turbo charged version of the original! With a price point of $25-$30, a lot of pool players would be customers.

Two questions for now. #1--is mine the new version? #2--what are you going to do about all of those folks in the Dallas area with crutches, canes and walkers that can no longer get traction because you took one of their crutch tips? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

IMO, you have a marketable item and a huge market. Great job Spidey!
Rip~~Certified Marketing Guru /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rod
02-17-2003, 12:06 PM
Hey Spidey,

That one looks pretty slick. Not as aerodynamic as mine (LOL) but a good product. What's that stuff on the back?
If I had a lathe and an attachment for a router/die-grinder, making 3 or 4 per hour is not out of the question. Of course I'd have to have a supply of the materials in advance. I think one problem is people need a demo or pictured illustrations to see how well it works. The next problem is you need a certain amount of eye hand cordination. Of course there is nothing to keep someone from copying the tool, if there is enough demand.

The first one I made took a while and has little run-out. The second one is almost dead perfect. That was by hand as you know. It took about 1 1/2 hours max the second time around.

SpiderMan
02-17-2003, 01:31 PM
Rod,

The "stuff on the back" is a cut-down sanding disk and arbor that I bought at the hardware store.

You're right about the copying. Since we have been posting about this it's in the public domain, and anyone (including myself) is free to make and sell them.

SpiderMan

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> Hey Spidey,

That one looks pretty slick. Not as aerodynamic as mine (LOL) but a good product. What's that stuff on the back?
If I had a lathe and an attachment for a router/die-grinder, making 3 or 4 per hour is not out of the question. Of course I'd have to have a supply of the materials in advance. I think one problem is people need a demo or pictured illustrations to see how well it works. The next problem is you need a certain amount of eye hand cordination. Of course there is nothing to keep someone from copying the tool, if there is enough demand.

The first one I made took a while and has little run-out. The second one is almost dead perfect. That was by hand as you know. It took about 1 1/2 hours max the second time around. <hr /></blockquote>

SpiderMan
02-17-2003, 01:35 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rip:</font><hr> The new photo looks great! Like a turbo charged version of the original! With a price point of $25-$30, a lot of pool players would be customers.

Two questions for now. #1--is mine the new version? <hr /></blockquote>

Rip - having been superceded by recent innovation, the one you are now in possession of is a genuine bit of gadget nostalgia (ie, yours has a wooden backer, functional but not as slick-looking as the new design)

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rip:</font><hr> #2--what are you going to do about all of those folks in the Dallas area with crutches, canes and walkers that can no longer get traction because you took one of their crutch tips? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

I'm going to offer them all sitting-down jobs in my garage, building shaft-maintenance tools /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rip:</font><hr> IMO, you have a marketable item and a huge market. Great job Spidey!
Rip~~Certified Marketing Guru <hr /></blockquote>