PDA

View Full Version : Life is too short to learn all there is to POOL

Tom_In_Cincy
02-17-2003, 07:27 PM
This forum is used by a community of pool enthusists that play at all levels of the game. From the Professional player to the "just took up the game".

Information shared here is free and is taken at 'face' value.

Questions, from "need help on my first cue" to 'what is squirt' to 'how do I keep my new shaft clean" keep this forum active and interesting.

I am a student of the game. I expect that most of the regular posters and lukers are students also.

I do not claim to know what its like to play on the professional level. I was recently reminded (and humbly so) of that when CW posted his practice routine. Playing the Ghost and spotting games in a race. I could only do that in my dreams.

My routine consists of various drills and basics that keep my level of play consistant and always try some shots in areas that challenge me to improve and raise my level of consistancy.

I wasn't fortunate to have professional instructors available when I first started playing this game. Now instructors, videos, books and even on-line help are all available at very reasonable prices. For less than $250 you can get all the above help rather easily and become a good player in a very short time, compared to the 1960s when I took up the game.

Could I learn something from CW as an instructor? YES.
Could I learn something from a graduate of the BCA pool instrutor school that has been certified? YES
Could I learn something from someone that has been around pool for 50 years... YES..
So can anyone that has the desire to really be a student and opens their mind to new ways of approaching this game.

I don't like to be told that I have to be taught by an instructor to learn how to play. I learned this game on my own. No videos, books or certified instructors, only playing and learning by watching others and going to the practice table and practicing until I got it right. It took a long time to do it this way.. so the only advantage I can see for instructors, video and books is making the process of learning quicker. This is a big advantage in any pursuit, instructors are the quick way to learn. Doing it on your own will usually take longer. It was my choice and I don't know if I would have been as crazy about this game if I was told early on that I couldn't play by an instructor, or had read a book that I couldn't imagine that I could ever make those shots, or seen a video of the pros playing and only missing 1 or 2 shots in a race to 11.

Instructors or posters that tell you how they think 'a new tip is helping' are both good reasons to continue to visit this forum.

Sharing our views, thoughts, experiences, emotions, drills, routines, shots (using wei table), beginning efforts to become a 3 or higher (APASL-SilverBullet) yes, I read all the posts.. is why I continue to visit this forum on a daily basis.. and some days.. I can post up to 20+ replies.. I get carried away.. like this post.

randyg
02-17-2003, 07:59 PM
The "best" instructor may very well be an avid student!....randyg

02-17-2003, 08:15 PM
I'm like a sponge. I fell in love with the game and ever since, I get little tidbits of knowledge WHEREVER I can get it. I have learned from a co-worker who was an A player, by practicing shot after shot after shot, by watching pros on TV, watching the local hotshoe down at the pool hall win tournaments week after week (sometimes the only people left at the end of the night were the winner of the winners bracket, winner of the losers bracket, the bartender, tourney director, and me), watching videos, reading books, and now even on this forum. I would love to have a pro lesson, but I just don't have the kinda cheese for something like that. Anyhow, sorry for the longwinded play by play of my (not so) glorious pool career, just though I would put in my $.02 /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

snipershot
02-17-2003, 11:52 PM
I find knowlege about this game whatever way I can, it doesn't matter what you use or how you improve your game, as long as you improve it. I also think all us regular posters should put more of an effort to share more of our experiences/emotions this great sport brings to us. recently I've felt like a politician in the middle of a
debate with all the arguments/gossip around here (which is why I haven't been around much lately), it has seemed like an episode of "the days of our lives" around here lately, if I wanted this I would just watch the damn show.

Thanks Tom, feels good to get that out of my system.

bluewolf
02-18-2003, 06:14 AM
What a wonderful post Tom!!! I love getting instruction. I love the game and apart from the instruction being of benefit, I just think it is 'way fun' to get lessons from scott and pool school from Randy.

I have learned a lot here and it seems to get better all of the time. Some of it I am just starting to understand what it means. I am sure that I will be learning about pool for my whole life. Perhaps it is the journey rather than the destination that is important.

blu

02-18-2003, 06:43 PM
yes, fast larry

Hopster
02-18-2003, 10:04 PM
Good post Tom, i enjoyed it. I just started playing again about 4 months ago after a 6 year layoff and im surprised at the changes ive made to my approach to the game. Mainly learning things about my stroke and aiming. I also think that playing on tight pocket tables and not the sloppy ones has also made me see a marked improvement.
Anyway, some of the things i have read on this board by you and others have helped contribute to this and for this i thank everyone for sharing their knowledge and storys.

Ralph S.
02-19-2003, 08:29 AM
Hi Tom, I much like you am self taught. I never bought an instructional book in my life til you recommended a certain persons books. I also never took any kind of tutoring on the game until I came across CCB and talked with Scott Lee. There is sooooo much to learn but I definitely agree about life being too short to learn it all. Geuss I'll just have to do the best I can LOL.
Ralph S.

02-19-2003, 10:57 AM
Yes,Yes,and Affirmative.Every time I see a great shot,superb position,and a well played match I am so grateful to be alive.Every time I see a young person pursue life on the green(?)felt,I see the immortality of our sport.We must endeavour to appreciate our opportunities,win or lose.
Ask yourself,what kind of life changing incident would make me stop playing pool?No need to post it,because everyone here knows how difficult that would be.
Keep Playing and Keep Learning.

c /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gifajunfats
the bayou banger

Eric.
02-19-2003, 01:27 PM
Tom, you always come up with some good insight on things!

Good points. I can't agree more. I know the same goes for me, learning the game is a constant work in progress(kinda like the NJ Turnpike /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif)

Eric

02-19-2003, 03:40 PM
Ok, I'm not on any drugs (that I'm aware of). Did some posts disappear off this thread? Because I could've sworn I posted two or three times on it. I don't think it was the 3 Smirnoff triple blacks I had at league last night /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

John in NH
02-19-2003, 06:28 PM
Hi Tom,

Great post, If I ever reach the point where I don't learn something pool related whether it be from this forum (CCB) or from some other forum it would be time for me to hang it up (cue that is) and move on to something else and I'm not about to do that, like you I continue to read all the posts and some I will respond to and some others I will not and not because I know everything but because some have caught my interest and I feel that I can contribute something to a particular subject.

You have a lot to contribute to the CCB and your experience speaks volumes for the game and I for one am glad that you've decided to share your knowledge of the game with us.

I look forward to your posts and comments, your experience comes through loud and clear

Regards,

John

Tom_In_Cincy
02-20-2003, 04:18 PM
Absolutely the shortest Fast Lary post on CCB.

But thanks anyway