PDA

View Full Version : Can You Jump This?

9 Ball Girl
02-18-2003, 11:56 AM
I was watching Karen Corr and Jeanette Lee this afternoon on ESPN. On the last rack, Jeanette tried slicing the 3 ball, missed it, but the 3 found the corner pocket at the other end of the table. Jeanette was left with something like this:

START(
%DD4Q8%HD5L3%PD4G8%]E1D7%^D5G0

)END

My stupid question is, can you jump the 8 ball by sending the CB to the rail and then have it bounce back over the 8 to make contact with the 4? I mean forget about the possiblity of Karen Corr having a shot after this attempt but is it possible to jump in this manner?

Jay M
02-18-2003, 12:25 PM
Yes it's possible, no it's not a good shot.

How you do it:

When you jump off a rail, if you use left or right english, it affects the cue ball just as if the cue wasn't jumping. So you shoot that shot with top left english and the cue will bounce back over towards the end rail.

Why it's a bad shot:

1) the angle that you are coming back is towards the end rail, allowing for the possibility of bouncing the cue off the table.

2) The 8 ball and 4 ball are too close together for accuracy. In order to make this, you would have to get enough height to clear the 8 ball and still land the cue in a 6 inch or so area.

3) it's hard enough controlling the cue ball on a normal jump, let alone something radical like this.

If you are going to jump here, use a standard jump rather than the rail, there are a lot less factors involved in the shot. Personally, I'd seriously consider a masse here (depending on the 5's location) and probably end up kicking off the side rail on the same side as the 4 on my way to a safety.

Jay

Rod
02-18-2003, 12:30 PM
Hi Wendy,
I just watched that match, seen it before. The c/b was to close to the end rail for that shot. The corner pocket was in the way unless she used the point. Yes similar shots can be made, I had this one on a hill game and drilled it.

START(
%DE6R1%HF6H5%PG5F8%]E1D7%^D5G0

)END

She could have just jumped the ball but I guess she didn't like the shot.

Rod

Popcorn
02-18-2003, 12:38 PM
Before I would do that, I might try this. It is not an offensive shot, but may buy you another inning. It would most likely not leave a shot. Just shoot with reverse english.

START(
%DD4Q8%HD5L3%PD4G8%WD9S5%XE7Z8%]G9D1%^E0F9%_F4Z2%`G2S2%aH8C2

)END

cycopath
02-18-2003, 01:04 PM
Why can't I see the diagrams? All I see is the code.

Rod
02-18-2003, 01:24 PM
Maybe you need to clean your glasses! LOL

Seriously go here, http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/~wei/pool/pooltable2.html

Copy the code from here and paste it there. You'll see the little boxes to the lower right to paste or copy. Set up a shot copy it there, then paste it here if you have one to show.

Rod

Eric.
02-18-2003, 01:27 PM
Personally, I wouldn't try that. I don't feel comfortable jumping off the rail when you can't shoot directly into it. Also, the other corner pocket is a cueball magnet(for me anyway /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif )

IMO, I like this:

START(
%DD4Q8%HD5L3%PD4G8%WD5S4%Xc6[2%Ye7[3%Zr3W5%]q3W1%^D2G5%eB8`7

)END

From that Qball position, kick to "35" with a little running english. It seems to make the OB "bigger".

Eric

L.S. Dennis
02-18-2003, 03:16 PM
Hey you guys , please tell how to pull the shot when you give all these symbol with a (start and end) after it?

Thanks for helping me solve this mystery!

Jay M
02-18-2003, 03:28 PM
1) go to the link Rod gave you (Open it in another window)
2) highlight everything from the start to the end
3) press CTRL + C
4) go to the other window and press the paste button and say OK when the two warnings pop up

HTH
Jay M

9 Ball Girl
02-18-2003, 06:16 PM
Thanks all. It's definitely a radical shot and the reason I thought of it was because I remember I tried kicking at a ball once, hit the OB too hard which caused it to bounce off the rail, over the blocking OB, and hitting the intended OB. I wouldn't be able to accomplish something like that in a million tries I'm sure!

And for those that don't know how to use the Wei Table, http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=suggestions&Number=55578&p age=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

cheesemouse
02-18-2003, 06:30 PM
Girl,
There is some promo or commercial where Eva Matya(sp) hits this shot. It is a viable shot and quite easy to accomplish with minimal practic time. In all the competitve pool I've play there was only one time when I was trapped to the point where that shots was my best shot and amazingly it work. It was a fluke but it worked.

Jay M
02-18-2003, 07:47 PM
The shot that was made in the commercial is the one where the cue ball is further out like so:

START(
%AD2V7%BL7P8%CJ5O4%DL7N1%EM7P1%FK6P1%GK6N8%HF4G9%I L7O4%JK6M5
%KJ5P7%LJ5N2%MK6Q4%NJ5R0%OJ5M0%PG0E1%WF8D2%XF9E0%Y D6T7%ZF6C1
)END

It's a much easier shot than the one that was diagrammed. The only time I ever pulled this type of shot off during a tournament was against Bill Fergueson at a Florida Pro Open event the last year that it ran. The shot that I hit ended up giving me the match, here it is:

START(
%AI3Z7%BP9Y6%CF0Z2%DI8F7%EX5D5%F[3\4%GG6D3%HK9F7%Ir4H5%PK0E3
%UC6C9%VI3Z2%WJ8D3%XK0E2%YI9X9%ZJ5C1
)END

Obviously it was a shot in the dark, but the thing went in and I got out from there.

It's always good to add more shots to your bag of tricks, just don't get in the habit of relying on them.

Jay M

cheesemouse
02-18-2003, 11:22 PM
Jay,
That is an outstanding shot. Just to see the possibliity of the shot is enough let alone to hit it and get out for the match. I'll bet you were juiced when you saw it going. What a rush.
Here's mine: 6>6 in a race to seven.

START(
%A[5\5%Bt3B5%C^0Z8%DM7U6%EF0F9%F\2E4%GJ3V9%Hq3T1%In9Y 2%Pp2Y2
%Wr9Y5%Xp8Y3%Y`1[0%Zs5Y9
)END

I play lefty so it was easly to reach. The cueball came up so high it nearly hit me in the forehead but I got out of the way and c/b drop right on top of the three and just fired it in the corner. The c/b went to the center of the table for the four/seven combo.......out scout......the guy didn't even say nice shot....LOL LOL....I loved it.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Jimmy Mendoza
02-20-2003, 02:56 PM
I don't think you could jump it off the rail because the cue ball is too close to the end rail, and the corner pocket is in the way of where you'd have to hit on the side rail. If you really wanted to go to the side rail like that, you could play this shot. You have to jack up and masse it off the side rail ...

START(
%DD4Q8%HD5L3%PD4G8%]F3D5%^D6G4%eA5b1%_E1P1%`G8I2%aF8C4

)END

02-20-2003, 05:55 PM
could I, would I, Fast Larry