PDA

View Full Version : Black History Month

TomBrooklyn
02-18-2003, 02:30 PM
Well, it's the 18th already, an noone has yet to mention anything about Black History Month. I purposely waited to say anything about it, thinking that many others would have something to say to commemerate this annual celebration; but apparently that is not happening. I guess there has been so much other stuff on peoples minds lately.

So, what is everybody doing to celebrate Black History?

I'm getting a kick out reading the ebonics and jive talk on CCB, where it seems to mostly come from the females.

=Tom

nAz
02-18-2003, 02:34 PM
Post deleted by ccboard_admin

Wally_in_Cincy
02-18-2003, 02:51 PM
Weather's been too miserable to celebrate anything. I wish I were celebrating St. Patrick's Day (excuse to drink beer in the afternoon) or Cinco de Mayo (excuse to drink tequila, margaritas, and Carta Blanca). If my income tax refund arrives today I might celebrate that.

Wally~~wishes us hillbillies had a cool holiday to use as an excuse to drink bourbon.

nAz
02-18-2003, 02:53 PM
I never thought of losing, but now that it's happened, the only thing is to do it right. That's my obligation to all the people who believe in me. We all have to take defeats in life.

Muhammad Ali (1942-)
statement after losing his first fight to Ken Norton, March 31, 1973

I am America. I am the part you won't recognize. But get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me.

Muhammad Ali (1942- )
The Greatest (1975)

Read more quotes from Muhammad Ali.

Bringing the gifts that my ancestors gave,
I am the dream and the hope of the slave.
I rise
I rise
I rise.

Maya Angelou (1928-)
"Still I rise," And Still I Rise (1978)

Man, if you gotta ask you'll never know.

Louis (Satchmo) Armstrong (1900-1971)
reply when asked what jazz is

Racism is not an excuse to not do the best you can.

Arthur Ashe (1943-1993)
quoted in Sports Illustrated, July 1991

People pay for what they do, and still more for what they have allowed themselves to become. And they pay for it very simply; by the lives they lead.

James Baldwin (1924-1987)
Nobody Knows My Name (1961)

If we accept and acquiesce in the face of discrimination, we accept the responsibility ourselves and allow those responsible to salve their conscience by believing that they have our acceptance and concurrence. We should, therefore, protest openly everything . . . that smacks of discrimination or slander.

Mary McLeod Bethune (1875-1955)
"Certain Unalienable Rights," What the Negro Wants, edited by Rayford W. Logan (1944)

The workings of the human heart are the profoundest mystery of the universe. One moment they make us despair of our kind, and the next we see in them the reflection of the divine image.

Charles W. Chesnutt (1858-1932)
The Marrow of Tradition (1901)

You're either part of the solution or part of the problem.

(Leroy) Eldridge Cleaver (1935-1998)
speech given in San Francisco in 1968

children
when they ask you
why your mama so funny
say
she is a poet
she don't have no sense

Lucille Clifton (1936-)
"Admonitions," Good Times (1969)

Life is short, and it's up to you to make it sweet.

Sadie Delany (1889-1999)
Having Our Say: The Delany Sisters' First 100 Years, written with sister Bessie Delany (1993)

You have seen how a man was made a slave; you shall see how a slave was made a man.

Frederick Douglass (1818?-1895)
Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglas (1845)

It is a peculiar sensation, this double-consciousness, this sense of always looking at one's self through the eyes of others. . . . One ever feels his twoness,—an American, a Negro; two souls, two thoughts, two unreconciled strivings; two warrings ideals in one dark body, whose dogged strength alone keeps it from being torn asunder.

W.E.B. DuBois (1868-1963)
The Souls of Black Folk (1903)

I used to want the words "She tried" on my tombstone. Now I want "She did it."

Katherine Dunham (1910- )
quoted in Black Pearls by Eric V. Copage (1993)

The question is not whether we can afford to invest in every child; it is whether we can afford not to.

Marian Wright Edelman ((1939-)
The Measure of Our Success (1992)

There will always be men struggling to change, and there will always be those who are controlled by the past.

Ernest J. Gaines (1933-)
interview with John O'Brien in African American Writers (1991)

What happens to a dream deferred?
Does it dry up
like a raisin in the sun?

Langston Hughes (1902-1967)
"Harlem" (1951)

Rich R.
02-19-2003, 07:18 AM
nAz, please be informed, "mutha" is only half a word. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Rich R.
02-19-2003, 07:24 AM
To celebrate Black History month, I play pool and think about Cisero Murphy. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

TomBrooklyn
02-28-2003, 04:23 PM
To celebrate Black History Month, I went to the main branch of the Brooklyn Library and viewed some art by a black aritist that was in the lobby; and I borrowed and watched The Jackie Robinson Story movie, made in 1950 starring Jackie Robinson playing himself. It was swell.

Todays the last day to celebrate BHM, from here on in it will be planning for Saint Patricks Day.