PDA

View Full Version : Why Green?

L.S. Dennis
02-19-2003, 01:10 AM
Well the tenor of conversation has become a little heavy of late so I though I'd lighten it up a little bit.

My question is this: Why is the predominant color of billiard cloth green? I have reasons ranging from "it's the easiest on the eyes, to "it was chosen to simulate the color of grass" to "it was chosen to simulate the cash in your wallet!"

Anyone want to relax and have a little fun with this?

nAz
02-19-2003, 01:29 AM
I think its cause of the grass, im not sure but before billiards was played on a table it was played on a court yard. maybe thats the reason.
i like it greel becuase its easier on the eyes. my local PH has gold cloth hurts my eyes after playing on green, i cant see long shots to well on it.

Rich R.
02-19-2003, 04:58 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nAz:</font><hr> I think its cause of the grass, im not sure but before billiards was played on a table it was played on a court yard. maybe thats the reason.<hr /></blockquote>
I believe nAz is correct.

02-19-2003, 07:19 AM
I agree about the easy on the eyes bit. Green is actually one of my least favorite colors, in general. Blue is my favorite color, but the wavelength of the blue light is notoriously hard on the eyes. So blue cloth was out for me when I bought my table, even though it looked beautiful. My wife (hey, I had to give in to her, she was the one who finally gave the okay to buy the table!) chose Wine colored Simonis. I guess it was the lighting in the shop, but I didn't realize from looking at the little bitty swatch that Wine Simonis looks more purple than red! So needless to say while waiting for the table I wasn't too happy about getting purple cloth, but I figured hey, at least I'm finally getting a table, I'll just have it recovered in a year. When they delivered the table, though, they screwed up and brought standard green Simonis. I went ahead and accepted it, and I'm glad I did, because the green looks great on my mahogany finished table -- it LOOKS like a pool table, and is easy on the eyes. I'll probably stick with green on my own tables from here on out.

David

Fred Agnir
02-19-2003, 07:32 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote L.S. Dennis:</font><hr> My question is this: Why is the predominant color of billiard cloth green? I have reasons ranging from "it's the easiest on the eyes, to "it was chosen to simulate the color of grass" to "it was chosen to simulate the cash in your wallet!"<hr /></blockquote>
It seems understandable that tradition has kept the table cloth predominantly green to simulate the color of grass. But, does this also explain why gaming tables in general are predominantly green? I wouldn't think so.

Maybe someone way back when had a lot of green cloth and sold it to the gaming public.

Fred &lt;~~~ should've bought stock in green dye

02-19-2003, 07:45 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dmorris68:</font><hr> I agree about the easy on the eyes bit. Green is actually one of my least favorite colors, in general. Blue is my favorite color, but the wavelength of the blue light is notoriously hard on the eyes. So blue cloth was out for me when I bought my table, even though it looked beautiful. My wife (hey, I had to give in to her, she was the one who finally gave the okay to buy the table!) chose Wine colored Simonis. I guess it was the lighting in the shop, but I didn't realize from looking at the little bitty swatch that Wine Simonis looks more purple than red! So needless to say while waiting for the table I wasn't too happy about getting purple cloth, but I figured hey, at least I'm finally getting a table, I'll just have it recovered in a year. When they delivered the table, though, they screwed up and brought standard green Simonis. I went ahead and accepted it, and I'm glad I did, because the green looks great on my mahogany finished table -- it LOOKS like a pool table, and is easy on the eyes. I'll probably stick with green on my own tables from here on out.

David <hr /></blockquote>

only one question: how much did it cost you to get the set-up guys to bring green and swear to wifey that it was their "oops"?

good thinking. i've played on that purple cloth and just couldn't get used to it.

dan

cheesemouse
02-19-2003, 08:28 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote L.S. Dennis:</font><hr> Well the tenor of conversation has become a little heavy of late so I though I'd lighten it up a little bit.

My question is this: Why is the predominant color of billiard cloth green? I have reasons ranging from "it's the easiest on the eyes, to "it was chosen to simulate the color of grass" to "it was chosen to simulate the cash in your wallet!"

Anyone want to relax and have a little fun with this?

<hr /></blockquote>

Once upon a time in a land far far away, France I think, a princess was inspecting the game room where the prince had set up a billiard table, a new craze that was sweeping the nation. The game room could be seen from the main ball room and the grey stone surface of the table clashed with the decore. The princess waved her hand and said pull down those drapes, which happen to be green, and put it over that ugly stone surface. She swished from the room. The prince, wanting to get some after the big dance rolled his eye to the workman giving them a know nod...that is where it all began.......

Karatemom
02-19-2003, 08:29 AM
Never played on purple cloth, but the ph across the river here has gray cloth. It is quite appealing to the eye, until you get down on the ball! It is extremely bright and very hard to get used to when 99% of your play is on green cloth.

Heide

Carlton31698
02-19-2003, 08:37 AM
I played on a gray table with gray cloth once. The tadle was a 4 1/2 - 9, but it looked like a 6 by 12 b/c of the color. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

02-19-2003, 08:45 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote houstondan:</font><hr>only one question: how much did it cost you to get the set-up guys to bring green and swear to wifey that it was their "oops"?

good thinking. i've played on that purple cloth and just couldn't get used to it.

dan <hr /></blockquote>LOL! If you only knew...

Funny, though, that you mention it. One of the other things I had to "give in" to the wife about was Queen Anne style legs on the table. I wanted Ball &amp; Claw, but she didn't like them. So the day before they were to deliver the table, I happened to be on Brunswick's website and discovered that Queen Anne in Mahogany was not available for the Avalon table! I thought, crap, they're gonna substitute another leg and the wife will be pissed. Then they showed up with the green cloth, and I thought, double crap, she's gonna be double pissed! Turns out they DID get the Queen Anne legs in mahagony, for some reason Brunswick's site was wrong. When I told them, they said I should've called them and they would have brought the ball &amp; claw and told my wife the Queen Anne wasn't available. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

David

Karatemom
02-19-2003, 08:53 AM
I realize that most pool halls would like to be known for their eccentricities (sp?), but IMO, go with what the players prefer. Have you ever seen a finals match at the Open or Nationals played on gray or purple cloth? That should give them some kind of a hint I would think. Out here, we only have 2 major pool halls. One has green and the other gray cloth. One just wanted to be different than the other. I guess it doesn't matter much because most of their clientele are kids just playing around. Most of the serious players go to the ph with green cloth.

Unfortunately, our leagues are played at both places, so we have to get used to the gray whether we like it or not, LOL.

Heide

Rich R.
02-19-2003, 08:59 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote houstondan:</font><hr> only one question: how much did it cost you to get the set-up guys to bring green and swear to wifey that it was their "oops"? <hr /></blockquote>
Dan, it probably didn't cost him a dime.
I recently had my table recovered. Although I made the arrangements, including cloth color, two months ahead of time, the day the work was to take place, they called and said that they did not have the right color cloth. They tried to talk my wife into the green cloth, which they apparently have in stock all the time, but she politely told them that, if she wanted the green, she would have ordered green two months ago. It only took them another week to get the right color.
IMHO, they prefer to buy the green in large quantities, at a cheaper price, and try to talk the customers into taking it. They obviously didn't know my wife. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Fred Agnir
02-19-2003, 09:03 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Karatemom:</font><hr> Have you ever seen a finals match at the Open or Nationals played on gray or purple cloth? <hr /></blockquote>
The World 9-ball (or was it Last Call for 9-ball) televised final matches in Atlantic City in the late 80's had beige, camel, tan, creamy yellow, cloth. And an annoying "Atlantic City" logo in the dead center. That was the one that was replayed on ESPN from 1986 to 1988. The Golden Years. Sigel beats Varner in the finals. What a surprise.

Fred &lt;~~~ has camel, beige, tan, creamy yellow cloth

02-19-2003, 09:07 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dmorris68:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote houstondan:</font><hr>only one question: how much did it cost you to get the set-up guys to bring green and swear to wifey that it was their "oops"?

dan <hr /></blockquote>LOL! If you only knew...

Funny, though, that you mention it. One of the other things I had to "give in" to the wife about was Queen Anne style legs on the table. I wanted Ball &amp; Claw, but she didn't like them. So the day before they were to deliver the table, I happened to be on Brunswick's website and discovered that Queen Anne in Mahogany was not available for the Avalon table! I thought, crap, they're gonna substitute another leg and the wife will be pissed. Then they showed up with the green cloth, and I thought, double crap, she's gonna be double pissed! Turns out they DID get the Queen Anne legs in mahagony, for some reason Brunswick's site was wrong. When I told them, they said I should've called them and they would have brought the ball &amp; claw and told my wife the Queen Anne wasn't available. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

David <hr /></blockquote>

now THAT'S funny as heck. i will say, having some minor experience (note:i did not say success) in the subject, honesty in marriage is very, very, overrated.

dan

Fran Crimi
02-19-2003, 09:19 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Karatemom:</font><hr> Have you ever seen a finals match at the Open or Nationals played on gray or purple cloth? <hr /></blockquote>
The World 9-ball (or was it Last Call for 9-ball) televised final matches in Atlantic City in the late 80's had beige, camel, tan, creamy yellow, cloth. And an annoying "Atlantic City" logo in the dead center. That was the one that was replayed on ESPN from 1986 to 1988. The Golden Years. Sigel beats Varner in the finals. What a surprise.

Fred &lt;~~~ has camel, beige, tan, creamy yellow cloth <hr /></blockquote>

Yep. I had the distinct pleasure of playing on that logo. I'm pretty sure the year I played on it, the cloth was green with a bright yellow Resorts logo. It was a shock because there was no logo during the entire tournament then you show up to play in the semi's and finals and there's this table set up with a brand new skiddy cloth with this monstrosity smack dab in the middle. Bad enough that you're dealing with roving cameras staring up at you from the pocket, you can't even find the 9 ball, no less aim at the thing when it's sitting in the middle of the logo.

It was fun.

Fran

Wally_in_Cincy
02-19-2003, 09:30 AM
Is that tape available anywhere?

Wally~~probably already knows the answer but asked anyway

Karatemom
02-19-2003, 09:39 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Karatemom:</font><hr> Have you ever seen a finals match at the Open or Nationals played on gray or purple cloth? <hr /></blockquote>

Fred &lt;~~~ has camel, beige, tan, creamy yellow cloth <hr /></blockquote>

Okay, it is becoming obvious that I don't get out that much, isn't it? LOL. Pool was the last thing I was concerned with in the 80's, hahahaha.

Heide

sack316
02-19-2003, 02:57 PM
I heard a comedian once talking about how billiards was a symbol for the racist state of the world, and how the white man wants to completely rule. The green cloth represents the green grass of the Earth. All different colors and races of people are close together in harmony, until suddenly the white man comes charging in like a madman and makes all of the colors split apart all over the green Earth. Then the white man systematically goes around the earth and one by one wipes each color off of the face of the earth, saving the black man for last. Then the white man is left alone on the green earth.
I can't word it exactly how the guy told it, but just imagine a guy like Dave Chapelle telling this story and its just hilarious. So I think that answers why the felt is usually green.

nAz
02-19-2003, 03:46 PM
Sack that is too funny!
who was the comedian

L.S. Dennis
02-19-2003, 03:55 PM
I like that analogy of the white man and the green earth. One thing however, how does that analogy hold up when the white man scratches? It was funny though!

cycopath
02-19-2003, 06:02 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote L.S. Dennis:</font><hr> I like that analogy of the white man and the green earth. One thing however, how does that analogy hold up when the white man scratches? It was funny though! <hr /></blockquote>I thought the exact same thing when I read that. LOL

Fran Crimi
02-19-2003, 08:50 PM
Course not, but I'll see if I have one laying around and see what I can do.

Fran

Tom_In_Cincy
02-19-2003, 09:10 PM
According to this site. Green is the easist color on the eye muscles. Right in the middle of the color spectrum and the most abundant color we see.

http://www.phys.lsu.edu/dept/opps/new_page_1.htm

sack316
02-19-2003, 10:36 PM
I don't remember who the comedian was. I think it was some guy on BET's comic view, but now that I think about it, it also may have really been Dave Chapelle. I remember when I watched it I thought about the scratch thing too and thought about how much further he really could have gone with that

Vicki
02-19-2003, 11:12 PM
It was Martin Lawrence in that movie with Eddie Murphy and what's her name,,, the pretty black Miss. America that got the boot for her Playboy pics... I can't think of her name. The movie is about how Eddie Murphy's character is a womanizer but when he meets Miss Nudie Pics and she treats him like a flavor of the week he feels hurt and used. Haley Barry is also in it. She plays a nice girl-next-door type who Eddie Murphy's character falls in love with and then screws over. Good movie. Great scene when Martin Lawrence gives his white ball oppressing the black ball speech.

Vicki

9 Ball Girl
02-19-2003, 11:16 PM
Hi Vicki!!!! I believe you're talking about Vanessa Williams and the movie is The Distinguished Gentleman.

nAz
02-19-2003, 11:56 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> Hi Vicki!!!! I believe you're talking about Vanessa Williams and the movie is The Distinguished Gentleman. <hr /></blockquote>

Actually the movie was called Boomerang. he didnt like women with Ugly feet ewww
i dont remember that line though...

02-20-2003, 02:26 AM
In France &amp; England, in the 1500 &amp; 1600's, you played out doors on the green grass, a sort of lawn billiards. When winter arrived, a local craftsman built a table, to fit the room, there were no set table sizes back then, and the logical color to put on that table, was what you just played on outside, green, at least I under stand that is the historical answer. Beigh, I have played on it, love it. Mosconi loved it &amp; used it a lot in the latter years.
I use green 760 my self&gt; I did a show on black cloth once, that was no fun. Funky colors sell tables, that is why they do it. Regards, Fast Larry

TomBrooklyn
04-01-2003, 05:14 PM
I think green has been found through some kind of study to be the least distracting of colors. That is why schools classrooms and hallways are often painted painted pastel green. They were where I went to school anyway. Beige or tan may also have that quality, that was also a popular color in schools. =TomBk

UWPoolGod
04-01-2003, 05:54 PM
I painted a new Elementary school in Marysville, WA last year and the basic wall color was a tan color. But What I didn't get was they had these accent colors for single walls outside the doors to classrooms. Half of them were blood red...can't wait to hear the next Columbine there.

Deeman
04-02-2003, 08:15 AM
Fran,

When I lived in Germany, I would get Sky Sports broadcasts of snooker several times a week. I thought they handled the logo thing very well. They had a spot light with the logo on the table. As they returned from the commercial, they would fade the light down gradually until the logo disappeared. It was very nicely done and was always gone before the player bent down and took a shot. I played in a small tournament years ago where the logo was very large and the ball would not "take" spin on that spot. It adds a new facet to position play!
/ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
Dee

Fran Crimi
04-02-2003, 07:37 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman:</font><hr> Fran,

When I lived in Germany, I would get Sky Sports broadcasts of snooker several times a week. I thought they handled the logo thing very well. They had a spot light with the logo on the table. As they returned from the commercial, they would fade the light down gradually until the logo disappeared. It was very nicely done and was always gone before the player bent down and took a shot.
Dee <hr /></blockquote>

Dee, now that sounds like the perfect way to do the logo. It sure beats changing the surface of the cloth, not to mention the constant distraction to the player. I don't think we've had any more logos on tables since the Atlantic City events, but it could definitely be a sponosor incentive to use the spot between racks. I'll mention it to our Board of Directors. Maybe we could add a new sponsorship -- a spotlight sponsor. Cool idea. Thanks for the info. I'll be sure to mention that it came from you.

Fran

Fred Agnir
04-03-2003, 07:26 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman:</font><hr> They had a spot light with the logo on the table. As they returned from the commercial, they would fade the light down gradually until the logo disappeared<hr /></blockquote>Did Batman show up?

HTH,

Fred

04-04-2003, 07:11 PM
I only perform in public on Simonis 760 standard green, because it is best, and it is like the grass in my back yard I go out and roll in. Wonder Dog.