PDA

View Full Version : More on Gambling Etiquette

02-19-2003, 11:26 AM
After you've been gambling with someone, are you expected to pitch in for table fees?

9 Ball Girl
02-19-2003, 11:30 AM
My guess would be Yes but that's just how I am. However, paying table time usually is discussed when the bet is being made and before playing. Usually the loser pays obviously if you're playing for time but if you're playing for $$$, it should be decided beforehand. JMO

Perk
02-19-2003, 11:51 AM
I agree with 9ball girl, for time=loser pays...If you are gambling for cash then it should be discussed prior. My thoughts on high stakes, or when someone loses considerable amounts are that the winner pays. If someone loses there last $ to someone for instance....But I think that planning on a 50 50 split is fair.

02-19-2003, 12:01 PM
it's a very, very good idea to make sure that the table-time issue is settled with the other player and the waitress/desk before you get into it.

generally around here, if there is very much money involved, the winner pays but, at 10$ or more per hour and marathon sessions, that can get sticky.

dan

Tom_In_Cincy
02-19-2003, 08:08 PM
at 16 years of age, you should be watching and learning.

Stick to tournaments.. or join a league. Get a good instructor and coach.

Gambling is gambling, the only thing you get by gambling is table time. The more you shoot the better you CAN get. But at the same time.. if you shoot more during tournaments and leagues... you can accomplish the same goal.. bettering your game.

At 16, you should be concentrating on school and your home life... when those two are satisfied, then you work on your pool game.

wish I had followed this advice when I was your age

02-19-2003, 09:15 PM
Don't get me wrong, I'm not exactly a big money player. I was just curious. I'm playing in tournaments and trying to find a league that allows minors. I'm focusing on school even though the high school I go to is ridiculously easy. Thanks for the advice Tom.

Jay M
02-20-2003, 06:26 AM
Table time is a simple issue. Just agree to split the time. If you win enough to make it worthwhile, offer to pay your opponent's time. It's not a requirement, it's just the classy thing to do. Don't expect your opponent to pay the time, just thank them if they do. It'll tell you a lot about the person you are playing against.

Jay M

shayla
02-20-2003, 09:48 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 ball junior:</font><hr> Don't get me wrong, I'm not exactly a big money player. I was just curious. I'm playing in tournaments and trying to find a league that allows minors. I'm focusing on school even though the high school I go to is ridiculously easy. Thanks for the advice Tom. <hr /></blockquote>

My boyfriend does a lot of gambling in the Austin area, so I get to watch how things are done in our neck of the woods. Usually if you are gambling for cash, the table time matter is settled before play begins. You either agree to pay 50-50 or you pay the table time if you win quite a bit of cash. Table time in the Austin area can get a little pricey. I agree with what the others have said, you should be on the sidelines watching and learning and spending time in tournaments and leagues instead of gambling. I've been playing pool for almost 10 years and I can count on one hand how many times I've gambled. I play in league once a week, and weekly tournaments 3-4 times a week. The key is playing in the higher-caliber tournaments so you can watch some good pool and learn a lot. If you want to play in a league, first decide if you want to play APA or BCA. In my opinion, the APA leagues are slightly better than the BCA leagues, and I play in the toughest league in the city which is a BCA in-house league at G-Cue Billiards in Round Rock. Once you figure out what you want to do, or which league you want to play in, go to that pool hall with a parent and speak to the owner/manager. Tell them you want to play in leagues, and ask them if they can make an exception to let you play. Ensure them you will not be smoking or drinking, and if you take a parent with you, they will more than likely let you play. Same goes for tournaments. The weekly tournaments at Eric's Billiards are great. You have tough competition, and you play 9-ball on 9-foot tables. They are Monday and Thursday nights and Saturday afternoons at 1pm. Sunday afternoon is a tournament at G-Cue Billiards starting around 2pm, then the Fast Eddie's tournament Sunday evening starting around 730pm. Those are all 9-ball tournaments.

Hope that helps,
Shayla

02-20-2003, 03:33 PM
Thanks a lot for all of the info Shayla. I'm currently going to Fast Eddies every Sunday (I'm the little guy!). The tournaments at Eric's sound great but its way too far, Eric's is on airport blvd right? Is the G Cue league 9 ball? Thanks.

shayla
02-20-2003, 03:51 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 ball junior:</font><hr> Thanks a lot for all of the info Shayla. I'm currently going to Fast Eddies every Sunday (I'm the little guy!). The tournaments at Eric's sound great but its way too far, Eric's is on airport blvd right? Is the G Cue league 9 ball? Thanks. <hr /></blockquote>

Yeah, Eric's is on Airport and might be a bit far. The league at G-Cue is a BCA league, however, we play 9-ball on 9-foot tables. Its an in-house league, so we don't have to ever travel to other pool halls, which is nice. The owner even plays in the league, too and is a BCA Certified Instructor!

02-20-2003, 04:05 PM
Wow, sounds great. I called them up and they said i can join as long as my parents are always there so hopefully I can fit it into my schedule. Thanks again.

Popcorn
02-20-2003, 04:43 PM
To be honest, If it is with someone I play on a regular basis, I like to split the time and I will tell you why. I don't want to set a precedent about it, like the winner pays. I have a guy that I play one pocket with. I give him weight and it is an even game. One of the first times we played he won. We play $20.00 a game and never raise the bet. The table bill is always $20. to $30 and he beat me out $120. He said he would get the time. The next time we played I won $40.00 and when I looked around he had already left and I got stuck for a $25.00 tab. I will pay if I want to, but I don't want it to be an obligation. We play split time now, no matter what happens. I hate playing for time, I would rather bet something and split time or play for nothing and split time. I guess I am funny that way.