PDA

View Full Version : going pro

02-19-2003, 06:09 PM
I'm a 16 year old poolshooter, and I've gotten rather serious with pool shooting. I was wondering how to get on the pro league when the time is right. Is there some kind of tournament, or do you just get scouted into the league.

02-19-2003, 06:41 PM
Hey, cool, I'm also 16. I'm certainly no expert about this, but I'll give it a shot. I don't think there really is a "pro league" for pool. I think you just have to do well at major tournaments like Derby City Classic and then you'll get into bigger, professional tournaments. By the way what area do you live in?

beerwolf
02-19-2003, 07:49 PM
The simplest way to go pro is to give Charlie Williams $100. He will make you a pro. It doesn't matter how you play. I saw him offer to sign up a woman who plays at barely a C+ level and he said just give him the $100.

It doesn't matter if you are in the top 500 or the top 5,000 best players in the world, you will be guaranteed a place in any pro tournament that gives CW $1,000 for the honor of being sanctified.

He can barely get 32 players to enter his own tournaments so I'm sure you could get one of the 32 spots he insists on for his members.

I don't understand why any promoter would put up with that and I am boycotting any tournament that is sanctioned by the UPA. Never fear, there are enough suckers who will pay to go watch the 500th best player in the world because CW says he is a professional. Actually, barely 20 players make a profit in the business let alone make a living.
BW

Troy
02-19-2003, 08:48 PM
"Pro" and "League" do NOT go together. In reality, anyone can call him/herself a "pro" by simply paying the entry fee. The UPA and the Western Pechauer Tour (among others) have an association fee along with tournament entry fees.

Be aware however that very, very few poolplayers actually make a living playing pool. It may sound glamorous to hear about "so-n-so" winning tens of thousands at a given event, but you need to consider all the expenses and the simple fact that winning is extremely inconsistent.

Heed some advise --- Pursue your education, including college. Treat pool as an avocation rather than a possible vocation. If you can make a few dollars at pool, great, but you'll have other skills to rely on with an education.

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eyez6r9glazed:</font><hr> I'm a 16 year old poolshooter, and I've gotten rather serious with pool shooting. I was wondering how to get on the pro league when the time is right. Is there some kind of tournament, or do you just get scouted into the league. <hr /></blockquote>

dddd
02-19-2003, 10:28 PM
ditto here
the road and the tours are nothing but travel, expenses and a neverending need to win,
so school and education are alway going to be with you. remember, you will get old sometime, and without thinking and dealing with your life out in the distance you will always be wondering what happened to me, why isnt my life better.

Vicki
02-19-2003, 10:35 PM
Men's professional pool, at the moment, does not have a "tour" or a governing body that sets any standards for what qualifies someone as being a "pro". In order to get into a pro event all you have to do is pay your entry fee to the promoter and show up. I have to agree with some of the other posters... get an education (and I don't mean the school of hard knocks at the pool room). I have been going to pro events as a vendor of custom cues for a few years now and I have seen first hand how difficult it is to make a living as a pool player. If nothing else, learn a trade (in school) that will carry over into the billiard industry. Manufacturers, retailers and the like are the only ones in the business making a decent living. Most of the pro players I know are supplementing their income by buying and selling cues, cases and other merchandise. I don't mean top 100 players... I mean top 5. It's brutal. God knows that the one thing this sport needs most is leadership. Get interested in the politics of the industry. Learn who the behind the scenes players are and try to figure out what you can do to improve the sport in the future. There is money to be made in pool but it's not in the playing... it's in the business end. Good luck.

Vicki

JPB
02-19-2003, 11:25 PM
One good way to go about it is lose everything you have now. Sleep in poolrooms, scam people out of money, lose that to people who scam you. Get robbed (not on the pool table, but in the parking lot) and take a lot of risks. Learn a lot. In a few years take a look at the players who you have no hope of beating now. I'm saying real good local players. If you can give them the 5 and the break for all the money you have and break them everytime, you might be getting close. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif Then go play for the rent against a real strong player and see how it goes. And no backers, that takes away too much pressure. I'm saying if you lose you don't have a place to live, a car, or food. I'm exaggerating a little, but not by a whole lot. Going pro is generally a proposition for those who can't do anything else.

In other words, if you have to ask how to be a pro, you are nowhere close to being ready and shouldn't even think about it. Do other stuff and build a life. If you are good enough to play pool for a living you will know it. It won't be something you want to do, but something you have to do.

Here's one little story I read recently that you should check out. I started playing in Denver. The best player from there by far can't afford to take himself to tournaments. This article had him talking about how he couldn't afford to go to the U.S. Open. And he can win pro events. I am not in the top 10 in what I do for a living but I live in a nice house, have some cash in the bank, and could go to any pool tournament in the US if I wanted to. I mean, it doesn't cost more than a couple grand to get there, get entered, and stay in a fleabag. Pool playing is a real bad life for most who try it. The ones who succeed don't care though. Good Luck.

bigbro6060
02-20-2003, 03:23 AM
switch to Snooker if you have the skill

Plenty of money in that

Rich R.
02-20-2003, 05:14 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eyez6r9glazed:</font><hr> I'm a 16 year old poolshooter, and I've gotten rather serious with pool shooting. I was wondering how to get on the pro league when the time is right. Is there some kind of tournament, or do you just get scouted into the league. <hr /></blockquote>
You obviously don't know a lot about pro pool. Pro pool players are not scouted and drafted like pro baseball, football and basketball players. No one offers you a multi million dollar contract to play pool. It just doesn't work that way. Maybe some day in all of our wildest dreams, it will.
For now, read the other posts in this thread and follow some very good advise, especially the ones advising you to get an education and build a career.

Wally_in_Cincy
02-20-2003, 07:38 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote JPB:</font><hr>

....Here's one little story I read recently that you should check out. I started playing in Denver. The best player from there by far can't afford to take himself to tournaments. This article had him talking about how he couldn't afford to go to the U.S. Open. And he can win pro events..... <hr /></blockquote>

Max Eberle I believe.

Mike H
02-20-2003, 08:43 AM
No, I think he was talking about Danny Medina.....

Ralph S.
02-20-2003, 09:31 AM
Several others have already replied to your post about the getting an education and so on and so forth. Listen to them because they are correct. I went to the Derby City Classic and it is unbelievable that some of the players are in the condition they are in now. Some examples are Keith Mcready, a helluva player back in his prime. Another is Corey Duel, all the talent in the world but most of the time drinking heavily. He is my pick as the next Keith Mcready, gonna waste all his tallent by the way of the bottle. Several other top "young guns" were very intoxicated most of the time. While some of them actually do quite well, most dont. If you really want to see what kind of money they make playing, you can go to www.azbilliards.com (http://www.azbilliards.com) and look up player bios. They usually include yearly cash winning totals. Alot of them average maybe 20grand roughly per year except for the cream of the crop. A good solid job will pay you that and more with benefits like medical and such. If any of the pros have medical insurance, you can bet they are paying dearly for it. Most employers cover the majority of that expense. Just something for you to think about. I am not trying to discourage you at all.
Sincerely, Ralph S.

JPB
02-20-2003, 09:34 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Mike H:</font><hr> No, I think he was talking about Danny Medina.....
<hr /></blockquote>

Yes. There was an article about him and he admitted he didn't have the cash to get to thte US Open. WTF? He plays real strong and is living hand to mouth at his age? I don't know him and never was anywhere near good enough to even think about playing him with any spot, but I was sad to read this. If you are as good at something as he is at pool, you should be able to have at least a decent life. Maybe it's his lifestyle or something, I don't know him as I said. But pool is not a real good way to make a life.

Kato
02-20-2003, 09:40 AM
I've seen Corey on the road a few times, never seen him drink. Doesn't mean he doesn't but I sure hope he doesn't go the route of McCready. I think and hope he's smarter than that.

Kato

bluewolf
02-20-2003, 09:45 AM
I knew that they did not make money. This recent news about some of the individual pros is very sad.

Laura

Ralph S.
02-20-2003, 09:46 AM
Kato, I certainly hope I am wrong, but that was what I seen of him during my 3 days at the DCC.
Ralph S.

Kato
02-20-2003, 10:29 AM
Ralph, I don't doubt what you saw 1 bit. I'm sure lots of people were hammering the booze. I'm inclined to think with the inexpensive tournaments and if gambling prospects were dry then hammering it down is certainly something that could happen. Maybe he (and many others) were treating it more as a vacation? I think where Keith went wrong is not just with the booze, it's with other substances as well.

I think Corey is a heck of a nice guy, I'd hate to see anything go wrong with him.

Anything can happen. Booze has destroyed a lot of talent. I hope he learns fast.

Kato

Popcorn
02-20-2003, 11:50 AM
I know a lot of pro players. First, you cannot make a living as a pro player. The few that do have other things going for them. People like Nick Varner, CJ Whily, Bob Vanover, Miz, Dallas West, and more players then I can think all have other income and do not depend on tournament winnings to survive. Tommy Kennedy promotes a tour and grinds out a small living, some do exhibitions and give lessons, many have poolrooms or billiard supplies or jobs and business that have nothing at all to do with pool. Even the few that have the highest prize money winnings. If they don't have a sponsor picking up expenses, the bottom line when all is said and done, would only equal a good average job without the security. Play pool and have fun, but realize you are going to need to make a living at something else to support your pool playing interest. That is what most of the pros do.

dardusm
02-20-2003, 05:10 PM
Hello,

I agree with everyone about getting an education. Treat pool as an avocation or hobby. There are many great amateur tournaments available to quench any thirst for competition. BCA, Valley, and APA all offer chances to play in Las Vegas for their respective national championships. My humble opinion is to get educated or a skill then play pool on the side. Who knows? Maybe in a few years a viable pool tour will surface. At 16, you have many years playing this game and people have been very competitive up until their 60's.