PDA

View Full Version : Any Predator Contacts??? Please help.

SteveFromNY
02-20-2003, 06:39 AM
The warp in the shaft of my predator break cue is really starting to irritate me. Is there anyone that I can call at Predator to talk about this? I've already had it for over 30 days so it's warranty already expired. Please HELP!

Doctor_D
02-20-2003, 06:57 AM
Good morning:

Telephone Predator and ask for Shane Sinnot.

Dr. D.

SteveFromNY
02-20-2003, 11:16 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Doctor_D:</font><hr> Good morning:

Telephone Predator and ask for Shane Sinnot.

Dr. D.
<hr /></blockquote>

thanks...called Shane, seems like a real cool guy but he said he couln't do anything about it. man this sucks....Why did it warp? I break hard sometimes but shouldn't it hold its shape for more than 3-4 months at least??

Paul_Mon
02-20-2003, 11:20 AM
Steve,
Check your Private Messages.......Paul

SPetty
02-20-2003, 06:35 PM
Hi Paul,

I have a warped Predator shaft, too. Is there any helpful info you're sharing via private message but not to the board?

charlieb
02-20-2003, 09:54 PM
When I first got mine, several years ago, Alan was very helpful. I've been away for awhile but someone told me that the Predators are all made in Taiwan. Is that correct?

02-20-2003, 09:57 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote charlieb:</font><hr>I've been away for awhile but someone told me that the Predators are all made in Taiwan. Is that correct? <hr /></blockquote>No, I think that rumor was being spread by a misinformed cue maker awhile back. Predator shafts are made in their Florida factory.

David

Rod
02-20-2003, 09:58 PM
Tony M knows the whole scoop, but I believe he said they are still made in FLA and some or some parts in Canada as I recall.

Paul_Mon
02-21-2003, 06:02 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> Hi Paul,

I have a warped Predator shaft, too. Is there any helpful info you're sharing via private message but not to the board? <hr /></blockquote>

What I was going to relate to Steve was my own experience with Shane and Predator. My first 314 shaft, the long style ferrule, developed a minute crack. This crack was almost invisible and was only discovered because it clicked on extremely soft shots. The kind of shot where you may be playing safe and striking the cue ball to travel less than 6". I contacted Predator and was told to send the shaft to them along with a check for $15. So this ferrule repair cost me about $25 after shipping.

When the shaft was returned it was obvious that it had been turned down. IMO, the 314 shaft diameter is too small as is, much less after this fix. So armed with my dial calipers I approached Shane Sinnot at the Valley Forge Expo and expressed my displeasure with this repair. I timed my visit at their booth so that there was ample potential customers around to witness his treatment of an existing customer. Shane balked some initially and tried to convince me that the shaft was turned down prior to his repair. I told him that I never use any abrasives on my shafts and made him examine my other shafts and measure them with the calipers if he wanted. After some cordial exchanges that included me pointing out the value of customer satisfaction and the impression these potential customers will walk away with Shane saw my way of thinking. He agreed to send me a replacement demo shaft from the show after he returned to Florida. I gave him the turned down shaft and got a receipt and within two weeks a replacement shaft was at my doorstep.

It is my opinion that this transaction went my way because of the public exposure Shane was subjected to. Prior to this I had posted many positive comments on RSB, ASP and CCB about the 314 shaft. Shane knew of these and when I did introduce myself to him he knew who I was and that I was both a loyal customer and vocal on the message boards.

I would suggest that if either one of you are near Valley Forge it would be worth the trip to rectify your situation.

regards........Paul

eg8r
02-21-2003, 07:06 AM
No that is not true. They have a shop in Florida where the shafts are made.

Also, I am surprised that Shane was not more helpful. While I have not actually dealt with Shane on a regular basis, he has seemed to be a pretty stand up guy.

eg8r

SteveFromNY
02-21-2003, 07:24 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> No that is not true. They have a shop in Florida where the shafts are made.

Also, I am surprised that Shane was not more helpful. While I have not actually dealt with Shane on a regular basis, he has seemed to be a pretty stand up guy.

eg8r <hr /></blockquote>Shane was very courteous but it seemed that he just couldn't do anything about the shaft which is in a way understandable since there's no way for him to know if I had just bent it myself. But in all honesty, I never checked the shaft when I first got it so I guess there's no telling how it became warped, or bent out of shape. It's just frustrating because I've only had it for about 3-4 months and I'm confident with the praise predator gets, the shaft shouldn't bend out of shape so soon. I'll try to get a hold of Shane at Valley Forge. Thanks!

Paul_Mon
02-21-2003, 08:36 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SteveFromNY:</font><hr> Shane was very courteous but it seemed that he just couldn't do anything about the shaft which is in a way understandable since there's no way for him to know if I had just bent it myself.
__________________________________________________ __________

Steve,

Why would anyone bend a shaft!! If you took reasonable precautions to prevent this shaft from warping then Predator should stand behind their product. I'd try reasoning with Shane in person at Valley Forge. He may be more accomadating to your request if potential customers witness his treatment of your situation. Good Luck and let us know how it pans out.

Paul Mon

Ken
02-21-2003, 09:01 AM
Why would anyone bend a shaft!! ?

I think the question should be: How could anyone bend a shaft?

I'm amused by the continual blame heaped on others about leaning their cue against the wall thereby causing it to bend. What is the sideways force on the shaft. An ounce? Maybe a few grams. Do these people carefully place their cue so that the same side is always facing the wall?

I too have a couple shafts with a slight bow to them. Perhaps the previous owner leaned them against the wall. I decided to try and correct these bows. Therefore I supported the shafts by the ends with the bow facing up. I then suspended weights from the center and left it for around a week. The weight that I used was around 8 pounds, just enough not to break the shaft. After a week of this treatment the shaft still had a bow and it was identical to what it started out with.

So I am not convinced that people can bow their shafts by mistreating them somehow.

I now see why the warrantee on the Predator shaft is only one month and being informed of that fact has convinced me that I will never buy a new one. It is obvious that they have no faith in their product when they believe it will warp after one month.

If anyone has a warped one that they will sell cheap I will buy it and lean it up against the wall for a while to correct it. Otherwise I'll try a more aggressive treatment. Maybe a month in the sauna with a twenty pound weight
KenCT

bluewolf
02-21-2003, 09:03 AM
Seems like this topic or something similar came up on a thread that Blackheart was replying to. I do not remember his exact words, only the impression I came away with.

This is a difficult situation for a cuemaker. Not everyone takes good care of their cues like most of us here do.

Laura

Fred Agnir
02-21-2003, 09:15 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote charlieb:</font><hr> When I first got mine, several years ago, Alan was very helpful. I've been away for awhile but someone told me that the Predators are all made in Taiwan. Is that correct? <hr /></blockquote>
The Predator Shafts are made in Florida.

Fred

SteveFromNY
02-21-2003, 02:09 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluewolf:</font><hr> Seems like this topic or something similar came up on a thread that Blackheart was replying to. I do not remember his exact words, only the impression I came away with.

This is a difficult situation for a cuemaker. Not everyone takes good care of their cues like most of us here do.

Laura <hr /></blockquote>You're absolutely right, and I do understand that if somebody somehow bent it either accidentally or purposely should buy a replacement. I have no reason to lie here and I'm not suspecting that anyone thinks I am, but I take pride in caring for my cues. For instance, whenever I'm shooting, I ALWAYS have them inside of my case hanging from a stool until it is time for a shot to avoid dropping, denting or leaning the cue. It's just that spending $350 for a break cue and discovering a bend in the shaft after only breaking for about 3-4 months is just really irritating. From the conversation with Shane, I think a replacement or even fixing it free of charge would be impossible. I even pondered purchasing another 314 break shaft as a spare but they don't even sell them separately. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

cycopath
02-21-2003, 05:41 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ken:</font><hr> I too have a couple shafts with a slight bow to them. Perhaps the previous owner leaned them against the wall. I decided to try and correct these bows. Therefore I supported the shafts by the ends with the bow facing up. I then suspended weights from the center and left it for around a week. The weight that I used was around 8 pounds, just enough not to break the shaft. After a week of this treatment the shaft still had a bow and it was identical to what it started out with.<hr /></blockquote>I've experimented with a warped shaft. I tried steaming the whole thing then clamping it in wood. To no avail. Same old bow. Then I read something somewhere about bending the shaft in the opposite direction to reverse the effect of the warp. And I tried it. It worked. I've done this to a couple of shafts. I'm not sayiong it would always work but it did for me.
Roll the shaft on glass (or some other flat level surface) and find the exact spot of the bend (highest point) put that spot against your knee and pull back on the two ends of the shaft. And might take you a few trys to get the right spot and pressure. But it's worth it. Good luck.
P.S. These shafts I'm talking about were not laminated shafts so... I don't know how they would react.