PDA

View Full Version : The easy way to win!

snipershot
02-21-2003, 12:06 AM
I was playing this evening against a good friend of mine, I went up to the table and broke, I was left in between two balls basically creating a wall preventing me from reaching the one, I tried going two rails through traffic just to hit it and missed. My friend went up to the table with BIH, looking around the table to plan his shots he reached over thinking he was grabbing the CB and snatched the nine up off the table! We respotted the nine and I went on to run the rest of the balls but my friend was rather embarassed about what had happened and was the subject to some rather humourous jokes the rest of the night.

Anyone else done something this stupid or worse before? I've picked the CB up before when I didn't have BIH, you feel like crawling into a hole and disapearing /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

sack316
02-21-2003, 02:16 AM
I've never done that, but I've done the classic skipping a ball and shooting the wrong one a few times. If anyone else has carelessly done this a few times, do you notice how that when you shoot the wrong ball-no matter how hard the shot is - you always make that shot?

Rich R.
02-21-2003, 05:06 AM
I've shot the wrong ball, more times than I would like to admit.

SENIOR MOMENTS!!!!!

However, senior moments are better than the alternative. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

cheesemouse
02-21-2003, 06:23 AM
snipershot,
I've not only just shot the wrong ball many times I have switched games. Once while trying to get out in 8-ball and with only the 9ball and 8ball left on the table my mind switched to the game of 9ball and proceeded to shot the 8 in and played shape on the 9. Mind you this was in the fourth match of an 8ball tournament...nice......LOL /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

SteveFromNY
02-21-2003, 07:05 AM
i played my 9-ball match last night and was spotted the 7. During the match, I missed the 7 twice and both times, my opponent for some reason went for the 8 thinking the 7 was down. I told him the second time but he just missed the pocket giving me an easy shot to win the set. also, last season, one of my team members frequently shot out of order not realizing it...always with the 4 & 5. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

SteveFromNY
02-21-2003, 07:06 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cheesemouse:</font><hr> snipershot,
I've not only just shot the wrong ball many times I have switched games. Once while trying to get out in 8-ball and with only the 9ball and 8ball left on the table my mind switched to the game of 9ball and proceeded to shot the 8 in and played shape on the 9. Mind you this was in the fourth match of an 8ball tournament...nice......LOL /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif <hr /></blockquote>LOL /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Carlton31698
02-21-2003, 07:35 AM
/ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gifI was playing in a 9 ball tournament about 8 years ago. My opponent left me a hard shot on the 5 ball, I walked around the table to look at the shot from both sides. I decided the shot wasn’t that hard, I got down stroked and fired the shot in. The only problem, I had used the 5 ball as the cue ball. But I did make a good shot on the cue ball. LOL /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Paul_Mon
02-21-2003, 10:29 AM
One time when I had BIH I set the cue ball down to shoot at the three ball and then adjusted the three ball to a better location. The guy I was playing shouts out "what the F*** you doing?". So I put the three ball back and reminded him we were playing cue ball fouls only.

Paul

Fred Agnir
02-21-2003, 10:32 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote snipershot:</font><hr> Anyone else done something this stupid or worse before? I've picked the CB up before when I didn't have BIH, you feel like crawling into a hole and disapearing /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif <hr /></blockquote>
Add me to the list of "picking up an object ball with BIH."

Fred

Kato
02-21-2003, 11:33 AM
You wanna win? The easy way? Just play me /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Whitelight, who just came in 5th place in a local tournament had ball in hand on the 4 ball and almost shot the 5. I pretty much jumped through the ceiling, snapping my fingers until he finally saw me and shot the other ball. What I did was unethical probably but I couldn't stand to see my friend throw away a match.

Kato

wolfsburg2
02-21-2003, 12:10 PM
in an 8ball match i have dropped as many as 3 of the opponents balls before someone reminds me i am not shooting the correct balls. doh.

NBC-BOB
02-21-2003, 12:36 PM
Playing one pocket for $50 per game.I shot a ball into my opponents pocket and lost the game. Was so mad at myself I didn't pick up a cue for a couple of weeks!

Ross
02-21-2003, 12:56 PM
Playing partners 9-ball, I decided to push-out down a rail. I hit the cue ball too hard and scratched. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif Now at the ph, every so often, someone will say loud enough for everyone to hear - "Remember that time you pushed-out straight into the pocket. Ha-ha-ha...."

Rich R.
02-21-2003, 01:09 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ross:</font><hr> Playing partners 9-ball, I decided to push-out down a rail. I hit the cue ball too hard and scratched. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif Now at the ph, every so often, someone will say loud enough for everyone to hear - "Remember that time you pushed-out straight into the pocket. Ha-ha-ha...." <hr /></blockquote>
IIRC, WPBA player Belinda Campos did that in a TV match, not too long ago.

Kato
02-21-2003, 01:11 PM
Within the last 2 months I have:

Pushed out to a perfect 1-9 combo

and

Pushed into the 9, made the 9 and the 1-9 was perfect on the spot.

Kato

snipershot
02-21-2003, 02:45 PM
Ross, out of all the other embarrising screw-ups posted so far, I would have to say this one takes the cake /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

02-21-2003, 02:58 PM
I have forgotten what game I was playing while breaking - I forgot I was playing 1 pocket and blasted the break like I was playing 8-ball.

Brent
02-21-2003, 03:26 PM
Hehe. Anyway the stupidest thing I have ever done was a couple of weeks ago in a tournament. I had the ball in hand and the 7 to shoot. The referee gave me the ball and I was holding it in my hand. I looked where to put it to get better positioning on the 7 and then it happened. The CB dropped out of my hand against the 7 and the 7 went straight into the corner pocket. The referee counted it as an intentional foul and I lost the match. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif Man that sucked but I couldnt hold down my laughter /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif
BTW I ran my first 9-ball table a few days ago. Im so happy cuz I have only been playing seriously a couple of months.

PoolFan
02-21-2003, 03:29 PM
You want to talk about embarrassing pool moments, try this one, it was actually caught on film by Accu-Stats.

Back in 1995, I refereed at a Grady Mathew's Straight Pool event called The Maine Event. I ref'd the feature table on the second to last day of the event with Nick Vlahos and Earl Strickland. Early into the match, Vlahos had control of the table and I had to rack the balls. With an absent mind, I picked up the break ball and put it into the rack. I realized my mistake after a moment.

I knew that worst case, we could always go back to the Accu-Stats video to determine the placement of the ball. Strickland got up from his seat and placed the ball where it belonged and Vlahos agreed with the position and the match continued.

Vlahos was a real class act and never complained. He just went on to win the match. I've often imagined what the outcome of that mistake would have been if Earl was in control of the table.

Anyway, that was my most embarrassing moment in pool and I can continue to sweat the moment out over and over again, thanks to Accu-Stats.

PoolFan ~ tries to remember not to pick up the break ball in Straight Pool

dg-in-centralpa
02-21-2003, 04:09 PM
During 8 ball league some 15 years ago, my teammate made a shot with the cb coming to knock the 8 ball in the side pocket. Not thinking, he picked up the 8 ball so the cb would scratch and not hit the 8 ball. The opponent stood with his mouth open , then finally asked if that was a foul.My teammate hasn't lived that one down yet. lol

02-21-2003, 04:36 PM
On a Tuesday night APA 8 ball game, one of my teammates had BIH. After carefully placing the CB on the table, he proceeded to chalk his cue. The piece of chalk slipped out of his hand and landed on the CB. This, as some of you know, is a foul in the APA. Result: BIH back to his opponent. Personally, I don't chalk anywhere near the table anymore.

02-21-2003, 06:23 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfsburg2:</font><hr> in an 8ball match i have dropped as many as 3 of the opponents balls before someone reminds me i am not shooting the correct balls. doh. <hr /></blockquote>

believe it or not, that was legal and you changed suits by doing it. it's kind of a long ruling involving at least 2 rules (mainly "protest") but, after you shot the second "wrong suit" ball, you were that suit and it was too late for the other guy to do anything about it. we sorted it out with some bca national refs here a while back.

dan

Fran Crimi
02-21-2003, 07:11 PM
I never do stupid things.

I was playing a tournament match against Ewa (9-ball) and we were neck and neck all the way. She scratched on the 5, and I took BIH behind the head string. No idea why. I just blanked out. Played a ridiculous 2-rail bank safety on the 5. By pure luck, I left her hooked. After the match, several people approached me regarding my "strategy" on that 5. They said it was a pretty amazing safety, but didn't I think it better to just put the cue ball near the 5 and just shoot it in the pocket? /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Fran

Gayle in MD
02-23-2003, 03:07 AM
Fran, that's a riot! Here's one for ya. I was playing 8-ball in the league one night. This gal I was playing is very loud, and always kackles and laughs with her team mates while I am down on the shot. I see this combo into the side, tuff one, but pretty sure I can make it, so I am taking my time, blocking her noise out,... aimed first with my cue on the OB, backed up and took a cue aim on the middle ball, got so into it, made the shot and left the cue ball out completely, LOL.

Gsyle in Md, shoulda started playing this game B M, before Menopause LOL.

02-23-2003, 03:52 AM
Fran , Tell me why when I play in Sun tourmemt in sted of playing my gane I end up playing for " FUN" ?

02-23-2003, 06:06 AM
Sorry About the miss spelling but it is hard to spell with the sun glasses still on !!!

jbullerjr
02-25-2003, 01:04 AM
Years ago, I was playing in the final of a small bar table turny. One of my good friends (who was a better player than myself), had won the winners bracket.
I took the losers side and face him in the final. I win the first set and we end up hill-hill for the match. We both have been making the corner ball/s on the break.
I am breaking and really tear into it...BLAM!!! Balls are flying everywhere, CB ends up near the spot and the 9 is locked up with the 6 for a dead combo in the lower right corner. But, the 1 is near the head rail and blocked by the 3&amp;8, without a roll-out rule in this turny, I go for the very hard kick behind the 3&amp;8 and rail first around the 5 for the combo on the 9.
I line it up for like five minutes and hit it good, even leave the CB a little safe, and just get enough speed to make the 9. The crowd goes WILD!!!(well, maybe not)
My friend is coming over to shake my hand, he is all smiles and very happy for me, hell it is the first turny I had won.
So, we are standing there talking about the table and the different ways that we might play the shot. My friend stops mid-sentence and says "Oh s***, count the balls."

Thats right, I had just taken five minutes to shoot a tough kick bank combo shot and HAD NOT MADE A BALL ON THE BREAK!
My friend is laughing and I am about to throw up. He says "Aw man, the win is yours that was a great shot."

I woudn't take the trophy and made him split the money with me.

Playing in a 9 ball match against a very tough player for 20 peanuts a game.
He has a tough kick on the 1 which is very close to the 6, before I can call someone over to watch the hit, he fires away.
Now, from the way the 6 left I think he has fouled.
I ask "Was that a good hit?"
He looks at me funny and says "Yea shoot from there."
Me "But there is no way the 6 goes there, if you hit the 1 first.
Him, snorts "SHOOT from THERE!"
Some snickers from the rail and I am taking the heat.
Fine!!! I tell myself. If he has to cheat to win...so be it.
So, I going to shoot, no ball in hand.
Wait, where is the CB?
I was watching the hit so close I didn't even notice he SCRATCHED.
The look on my face must have been great, because the rail was laughing like they were at a Richard Pryor concert.
I felt so small, you could have hid me behind the chalk.