PDA

View Full Version : apa ranking *crazy* need opinions/advice

wolfsburg2
02-21-2003, 11:50 AM
i joined my local apa league 4 weeks ago. i have never played in a league before. as such i came in as a 4.

first week(4): played a 4, lost 3-2 all close games, i think 19 or 21 total innings.

second week(dropped to 3): played a 5. beat him 2-0 7or 8 total innings

third week(still a 3): played a 3, won 2-0. ran one of the racks, the other was 3 innings.

fourth week: THEY MADE ME A SIX!!! WTF? the capt. wrote a letter to the league to have them look into my ranking as it is way too high.

i think what might have happened was last week, the opposing team capt.was a 5, we played 4 or 5 games for fun before anyone got there, and i won more than i lost. he sees that i am a 3 and writes a letter. that is what i think happened.

so regardless i had to play a six in week 4. i lost 5-1 but it was pretty competitive i thought. could've easily been 5-3 or so. so we'll see what i am ranked next week.

i just wanted some of you more experienced league guys input. thanks. mike

Wally_in_Cincy
02-21-2003, 12:11 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfsburg2:</font><hr>
....fourth week: THEY MADE ME A SIX!!! WTF? the capt. wrote a letter to the league to have them look into my ranking as it is way too high.

<font color="blue">That's about all you can do right now.</font color>

i think what might have happened was last week, the opposing team capt.was a 5, we played 4 or 5 games for fun before anyone got there, and i won more than i lost. he sees that i am a 3 and writes a letter. that is what i think happened.

<font color="blue">I can just about guarantee that's what happened. The league operator knows him, he doesn't know you. You'll probably be a 5 next week. Just play and let it work itself out. That's all you can do.

So what should you be ranked? </font color>

<hr /></blockquote>

Ross
02-21-2003, 12:31 PM
The APA ranking system uses your best matches (top 1/2) to determine skill level. This helps reduce the effects of sandbagging.
In your case, you only have 3 matches to use for ratings. So the APA ranking algorithm likely based your rating on your matches from weeks 2 and 3. In week 2 you beat a 5 2-0 in 7 or 8 innings. In week 3, you beat a 3 2-0 in 3 innings. Overall, that is the level of play typical for a 6. (I'm a 7 and I don't often win 2 games in 3 innings!) Based on the limited data the computer has - you play like a 6. As more data comes in, if you are truly overrated, your level will drop.

bluewolf
02-21-2003, 12:36 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ross:</font><hr> The APA ranking system uses your best matches (top 1/2) to determine skill level. This helps reduce the effects of sandbagging.
In your case, you only have 3 matches to use for ratings. So the APA ranking algorithm likely based your rating on your matches from weeks 2 and 3. In week 2 you beat a 5 2-0 in 7 or 8 innings. In week 3, you beat a 3 2-0 in 3 innings. Overall, that is the level of play typical for a 6. (I'm a 7 and I don't often win 2 games in 3 innings!) Based on the limited data the computer has - you play like a 6. As more data comes in, if you are truly overrated, your level will drop. <hr /></blockquote>

Yeah I have heard a person getsw bounced around a bit. It does sound to me that you are an sl5, coming from an inexpereinced person, that is.

Laura

Fred Agnir
02-21-2003, 12:48 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfsburg2:</font><hr>
i think what might have happened was last week, the opposing team capt.was a 5, we played 4 or 5 games for fun before anyone got there, and i won more than i lost. he sees that i am a 3 and writes a letter. that is what i think happened.<hr /></blockquote>

I'm 100% sure that's not what happened. As I see your scores and innings, every SL change you've undergone thusfar is correct.

Until you get 20 matches under your belt, your handicap will undergo a bit of up and down.

Next week, you should be an SL-6.
[ QUOTE ]
i just wanted some of you more experienced league guys input. thanks. mike <hr /></blockquote>
PM me if you want. But the bottom line is, your skill level handicap is as it should be.

Fred

Fred Agnir
02-21-2003, 12:51 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr>
<font color="blue">I can just about guarantee that's what happened. The league operator knows him, he doesn't know you. </font color>
<hr /></blockquote>
I'll attempt to snuff this. The numbers he reports make his handicap an SL-6 for this week as well.

Fred

wolfsburg2
02-21-2003, 01:00 PM
i would say i am a low five based on my general inexperience in league type play. one of my bigger disadvantages to other 5's in this league will be my lack of safety play. i know how important it is. but how often in a bar do you have to(is it really even right) to play a safety, unless there is money riding.

my man grip is that they left me a 3 after i beat the 5 2-0 then i beat a 3 2-0 and they jump me 3 spots.

is it such a big deal to run a rack? can't a solid 4-5 player run the occasional rack?

Wally_in_Cincy
02-21-2003, 01:04 PM
Fred,

You may be right. (I worded that carefully knowing you will respond "I know I'm right). /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Would they use all 3 matches, or just the best 2, or just the best 1 ? OK don't answer that, I know you would rather not /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I agree a 3 should rarely run a rack. It seems lately around here if you're a 3 or 4 and you run a rack your level goes up automatically, no matter the total innings of the match. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
02-21-2003, 01:11 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfsburg2:</font><hr> i would say i am a low five based on my general inexperience in league type play. one of my bigger disadvantages to other 5's in this league will be my lack of safety play. i know how important it is. but how often in a bar do you have to(is it really even right) to play a safety, unless there is money riding.

<font color="blue">I never play safe in a bar, unless I can disguise it well. But if you are knocking them around with other league players and playing by league rules, safeties are acceptable.

In league play you will need to play safeties, so watch some good safety players and what they do.</font color>

my man grip is that they left me a 3 after i beat the 5 2-0 then i beat a 3 2-0 and they jump me 3 spots.

is it such a big deal to run a rack? can't a solid 4-5 player run the occasional rack?

<font color="blue">Yes.

Wally~~waiting for Fred to contradict me /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif </font color>
<hr /></blockquote>

wolfsburg2
02-21-2003, 01:23 PM
i will very rarely play safe in a bar, cuz i think it is insulting. i would rather try to win the game, than play to not lose.

that said i understand safe's are necessary in some spots in games. in a league match i will play safe, buut being more of a bar player, my safety play is a definate weakpoint in my play.

wolfsburg2
02-21-2003, 01:25 PM
i have been playing a good amount(3 times a week 2 hours a clip) of 9ball over the last 2 months or so. and my play has improved greatly. it is still just an issue of not being able to see and execute the defensive shots, like i can with my offensive shots. i am sure my safety play will get better, it is just a rough adjustment.

WaltVA
02-21-2003, 02:15 PM
APA S/L's are based on the best 10 of your last 20 matches. So, as has been pointed out, you're right where you should be, based on the limited number of matches you've played.

The APA Team rule book says, "The skill levels of new players sometimes do not reflect their true ability due to lack of enough scores. For the same reason, the skill levels of new players sometimes move around a little during the first few weeks. Please allow for this and hold your complaints concerning new players for a few weeks."

Walt in VA

Fred Agnir
02-21-2003, 02:19 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr>

<font color="blue">Yes.

Wally~~waiting for Fred to contradict me /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif </font color>
<hr /></blockquote> <hr /></blockquote>

Not this time /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Fred

02-21-2003, 04:58 PM
Wolfsburg, handicap woes affect all APA players. Especially new players being that one does not have enough league matches to accurately handicap that player yet. It is my understanding that your ranking is based on your best 10 of your last 20(just what I've heard most). Expect for your ranking to bounce quite a bit in your first couple of sessions. Maybe like 6 or 7 times. I know mine did. For now, you're just going to have to suffer through it.
As for you maybe being written up. I've seen several examples of players being written up by a respected, long time league members resulting in a player's handicap changing. If you were reported and the LO reviewed your game stats(the ones you posted here), then I can understand the jump in rankings. It sucks, but that's the APA. Once you've got more games under your belt, your SL will start to level off.
Just whip that guy that you think wrote you up the next time you face him and I guarantee you'll feel better.

wolfsburg2
02-22-2003, 06:18 AM
thanks for the replies everyone. i'll keep ya posted /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif