PDA

View Full Version : My VF Apologies

Fred Agnir
03-18-2002, 10:21 AM
I always hate apology posts, but I figured I need to this time.

I go to the VF show every year. Usually, I can't organize my time enough to do everything I want to do. This year, rather than the usual WPBA spectating, I chose to watch only the men's 8-ball final day giving me a ton of time for the show. I'm sure the cuemakers were absolutely sick of me by the time the show ended and were glad to see me leave;-)

Anyway, for some reason, I didn't actively search out anyone. Sad. For that, I apologize. Other than the show, I sweat(ed?) some action, played a tournament in a nearby pool hall, and shmoozed. Oh, yeah. I also didn't bet my pecans this year. Good thing.

Fred <~~~ all shmoozed out

Fred

Doctor_D
03-18-2002, 06:22 PM
Good evening:

You were with us in spirit and that, in and by itself, is what counts. However, next year, you better make an effort to search us out!!!

Dr. D.

03-18-2002, 10:53 PM
Fred, I'd heard you were there and thought it very strange we didn't bump in to each other. I also disected the cuemakers and cue dealers - and came within a hair of swapping my Gus Szamboti original for a Jerry Franklin Southwest, a Tad and a Samsara from one dealer. Only thing that saved me was running in to Barry Szamboti - who of course advised me to hold on to his Dad's cue unless I really needed the cash, and I took his advice. Fred, just curious whose cues impressed you the most and why?

For the future, I would recommend for them if possible to combine both the women's and men's events in to one larger 16 table arena (like the 14.1 US Open). That way we could see ALL the action, and I think most of us would certainly be willing to pay a higher ticket price. I never did witness the men's matches, though Drayton observed 2 sessions and was most impressed with Feijen and Morris - even though Frank survived the final match. Fred, hopefully we'll see you at Amsterdam West in October. - Chris in NC

Fred Agnir
03-19-2002, 08:42 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Chris in NC:</font><hr> Fred, I'd heard you were there and thought it very strange we didn't bump in to each other. <hr></blockquote>

I stayed with the show and the men's tourney as well as playing in a early morning tourney about 20 minutes away at Classic Billiards. I'm sure you were locked up in the WPBA arena.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Chris in NC:</font><hr> Fred, just curious whose cues impressed you the most and why?<hr></blockquote>

IMO, best of show honors go to Prewitt Cues of Venice, CA. (I think I spelled everything wrong). Ebony, Ivory, and Silver combined in a non-complicated, extremely elegant fashion. He's the greatest unknown cuemaker, IMO. He was short on cues as the last show he was at , notorious cue collector Lucky from Japan snapped them all up.

The best cue overall may be a cue I've seen in Ct., and was displayed at Pool Table Magic. Randy G. saw this cue as well when he came up last year for his Pool School in Ct. It's a masterpiece Ginacue that I couldn't begin to describe other than an intricate but not overly busy combination of inlays without straying too far from a traditional pointed cue. Silver-work and leather wrap make it a Gutierrez signature of late.

Honorable mention goes to Philippi Cues which had three or four that from a distance could have been confused as related with the above mentioned Gutierrez cue. They also had the silver thing going.

Fred

SPetty
03-19-2002, 01:12 PM
Hi Fred,

Sorry I missed you - I was at the men's finals as well, but by that time I had given up on finding you and had stopped looking. I was fortunate to be one of the people that were moved to the floor - one table away from the action! It was a great place to be. Did you see that Troy Frank break where 5 balls dropped! Wow. I know I sound like a broken record, but all I could think was "Oh, so that's how 8-ball is supposed to be played!"

Fred Agnir
03-19-2002, 05:00 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: SPetty:</font><hr> Hi Fred,

Sorry I missed you - ... I was fortunate to be one of the people that were moved to the floor - one table away from the action! <hr></blockquote>

Ummm... let's see. If you consider where the breaker was, I was seated on the floor (one of the lucky ones) on the left side. There were three asians seated to my left, a big guy with a dark beard and moustache on my right, and an older couple behind me.

If you were one of the people that were moved, then I suppose we started out right next to each other in the bleachers. You would have been "moved" to the right of the breaker; we walked to the left.

Fred