PDA

View Full Version : The stiff wrist draw

bluewolf
02-22-2003, 10:34 AM
I think I have been hearing that some folks like to have their wrists stiff on the draw for consistency.

My grip and wrist are for lack of better words floppy. When I try to make them more firm, it hurts my muscles and wrist and hand bones. I do not know if this is normal.

So I was wondering if it is necessary to grip tight to have a good draw. And I cannot figure how to not grip tight and have a stiff wrist or even if that is possible.

I am hoping that the stiff wrist is not required for a good draw. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Laura

Deeman
02-22-2003, 11:29 AM
Laura,

You can draw with a stiff or loose wrist. The secret is the condiciton of your tip, the speed at which the cue meets the cue ball and, I feel, something called accelleration through the cue ball or increasing pace. To draw a ball I use as little speed as possible and very little wrist action. As I need more draw I increase my speed trhough the cue ball and add some wrist action. To pocket a ball on the far end of the table and draw back to the near rail, I concentrate all my focus on an explosion a few inches beyond the cue ball and have the feel of throwing a spear throught the cloth. You almost have to have anger in your heart to do this with the greatest focus and effect. I can do the same shot jacked up but have to allow for the cue ball flight. I find that a level cue, in most cases in not needed. Someone told you earlier that you should practice the shot slow. I think they are right on the money. To understand the draw you have to be able to do it in control first.

Dee