PDA

View Full Version : BEST FRENCH ONION SOUP EVER!! RECIPE....

Gayle in MD
02-22-2003, 07:55 PM
Hi all, ever get in the mood for one of your favorites and not have the correct ingredients on hand. That happened to me during our snow storm, and I ended up with a better recipe!

For seven to eight servings, may be cut in half

10 lbs yellow onions
1/4 C. olive oil
4T olive oil
4 T. butter
1 clove minced garlic
1 to 1 1/2 lbs swiss cheese
8 slices pumpernickel bread, or French bread loaf if preferred
2 cans beef broth (Use good quality broth)
2 cans chicken broth, preheated together
32 ounces good red wine
1 can of grated parmasean cheese, (or grated fresh parmasean)

In a large heavy fry pan or dutch oven, saute the minced garlic in about 1/4 Cup of olive oil a few minutes. Then add half the onions for about 15 minutes, then add the rest, on medium heat till good and brown, (This takes a while, atleast an hour, stirring pretty frequently. Add extra olive oil if needed. When the onions turn mahogany color...melt in the butter, heating another few minutes till melted
Add the wine, and let it cook down till it becomes rather thick, and is reduced by 3/4.
slowly add the preheated broth, and simmer for another 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, brush the bread slices with 6 tablespoons of olive oil, and toast on a cookie sheet in the oven.

Fill oven proof bowls with 2 layers of toasted bread, and sprinkle the grated permasean cheese between the layers, ladeling the soup mixture in as you go till you reach almost to the top.
Top each bowl with layers of sliced swiss cheese.

Put the bowls on cookie sheets and broil under the broiler, (Not too close) till the cheese is brown and bubbly.

The very best I have ever had anywhere!
Let me know if you try it...
Gayle in Md. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Karatemom
02-22-2003, 08:07 PM
Hi Gayle. French onion is my most favorite soup. Love it! I don't cook too often, unless I have to /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif, but I printed this recipe out for future use.

Thanks

Heide

Kato
02-22-2003, 08:44 PM
I love you!!!!!!!!!

French onion is my favorite. I'm making this tomorrow.

Kato

Gayle in MD
02-22-2003, 09:08 PM
Oh that's great. I can't wait to hear if you like it. I absolutely love to cook, but I am very fussy about food being really good. I hope you like it, let me know...

Gayle in MD
02-22-2003, 09:16 PM
Hi Kato,
Well you're going to love this honey. I always order French Onion Soup what I go out to dine. I combined several recipe's to get this one. It was truly the best I have ever had anywhere. You have to really carmelize those onions, and don't worry about burning them. Just keep enough olive oil in there to keep the pan from drying out. Cut the onions in half, lay the flat side down, then slice them into half rings, not too thin. When you put the bowls under the broiler, you have to peek to get them out when the swiss cheese is just browning and bubbling. Add the broth slowly, and as far as measuring, I added, then tasted, you basically want to add enough broth to get the right amount of liquid in with the onions. But the mixing of the chicken and beef broth is the key. And layer plenty of cheese slices on the top, because some of it will melt down the sides, and you want plenty to push down into the soup, MMMMM, I'm getting a hankering for it again, LOL. I just wish I could have you guys over and fix it for you, LOL. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Gayle in Md.

Fred Agnir
02-23-2003, 07:29 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Gayle in MD:</font><hr> Hi all, ever get in the mood for one of your favorites and not have the correct ingredients on hand. That happened to me during our snow storm, and I ended up with a better recipe!
<hr /></blockquote>
Very cool. I think I'll give it a go.

Here's a tidbit, in case anyone cares. I've had "Onion Soup" in a dozen places in France from Paris, Dijon, Strassbourg, and the beautiful Colmar. All of them had a clear or light broth, as opposed to the beef broth we see popular here. I wonder if someone in Canada was the first to use beef broth and introduce it to the Americans, thus "French Onion Soup." Since Swiss cheese is often used, I also wonder if it wasn't someone from Switzerland who introduced "French Onion Soup" to the rest of the world.

Fred &lt;~~~ loves the French's toast and fries

Fred

Rich R.
02-23-2003, 09:09 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> I also wonder if it wasn't someone from Switzerland who introduced "French Onion Soup" to the rest of the world.

Fred &lt;~~~ loves the French's toast and fries

Fred <hr /></blockquote>
Add me to the list of French Onion soup lover's and cooks.
As for the cheese, I have come across may recipes that call for Guryerre (sp) cheese, which is excellent. The Swiss cheese is a good substitute at a much better price.

Gayle in MD
02-23-2003, 01:02 PM
Hi Fred, you know, you can just do the onions, then add chicken broth only if that is your taste. What I did was to Add the heated Chicken broth, and heated beef broth one can at a time until I had the fight amount of broth for the amount of onions. Also, I always used to use sweet onions, but didn't have any in the house, and used to use Gruyer (SP) cheese, but had only the swiss. Ended up being the best ever. Use a good mellow red wine though, something you would drink. I found that the combination of the Swiss cheese, yellow onions, and addition of the beef broth, made the soup much heartier, and gave it more depth. Jim really raved about it...

Gayle in MD
02-23-2003, 02:20 PM
Wow, can't believe I forgot to tell you to add some dried oregano while reducing the red wine...sorry, jeeze, hope Kato sees this, lol.
Gayle in Md,

Kato
02-23-2003, 06:28 PM
Gayle, I'm not making it until next weekend. I made spaghetti sauce today.

Kato~~~~not Italian and has his very own sauce.