PDA

View Full Version : How to replace tips

ras314
02-23-2003, 10:19 AM
Nearest shop that replaces tips is 100 mi so I am trying to do my own.

What is a reasonable way to trim the side of an oversize tip without a Lath?

What is super glue with super p.e.g.a. ? This was recommended by the Predator people for their ferrules. I used Tweetens in cold temperature, lasted 1 day. Tried it again when warmer, so far has stayed on for 2 weeks.

Harold Acosta
02-23-2003, 10:59 AM
You will need to make an investment. Here are a couple of items you will need.

1. CR20 - Porper's Cut-rite Shaper/Cutter = $ 13.95
2. PM60 - Mushroom Graser = $11.95
3. PP45 - Porper's Pocket Pal tip clamp = $12.95
4. TB20 - Porper's Tip Burnisher = $3.95
5. 29-700 - Rapid Cue Top Sander = $12.95

or you could purchase the

6. PT10 - Joe Porper's Big Shaver = $79.95 with the tip burnisher $3.95.

Shipping and handling not included and you will need to purchase your own tips and a gel clue (Loc-tite).

You can find all these items at Mueller's Recreational Products at www.poolndarts.com (http://www.poolndarts.com)

[b]<font color="blue">Billiards is a passionate sport for the mind and soul!</font color>
http://www.thebilliardstour.com/images/starscrash.gif

SpiderMan
02-23-2003, 11:44 AM
Ras,

The Tweeten's glue will work, but it is pretty sensitive to your technique. It's also kind of messy.

Tweeten's must be applied to both surfaces and allowed to dry to a tacky state, then the two parts joined. If you had problems on a cold day, it's probably because the pre-attachment drying was not enough. Also, the joint made with Tweeten's must be put together with a good bit of pressure, so that the two glue layers meld together.

Modern adhesives are much easier to work with. I've had good luck with 2-part epoxy as well as some of the gelled quick-sets (super glue).

SpiderMan

L.S. Dennis
02-23-2003, 11:45 AM
I can't beleive that the nearest place that can do a tip is 100 miles away! But be that as it may, you can probably get by without most of the stuff that Harold suggests (although those things would be ideal) and get the sander that sands the ferrule after the old tip is removed. Then assuming you already have the new tip make sure that it too is well sanded on the side that is to be glued, that is to say enough to break the glaze on that side of the tip.

Regarding the glue the one that seems to be one of choice is a super glue gel, preferrably the Duro brand. Once applied you'll need to work fast because it sets up quickly.

As far as clamping I've seen people use large strips of stretchable rubber, stretched over the tip and on to the shaft. This is very rudimentary but it will work in a pinch.

Lastly, you can shave the tip with a razor blade knife by turining the shaft upside down and shaving downward evenly with the ferrule.

With the price of gas going up so rapidly, it might be worth trying instead of the 100 mile drive!

Hope this helps

ras314
02-23-2003, 11:57 AM
Thanks. I have some of the stuff but am using layered tips. Understand using cutter type shapers can delaminate them?

Is the PT10- Joe Porpers Big Shaver better at trimming the sides than the PM60?

Popcorn
02-23-2003, 12:02 PM
As far as the glue goes, Tweetens is a contact cement and is good for ivory and fiber ferrules. It does not stick very good to plastic ferrules. You need a super-gel. If it is just for you, only doing one tip every few months, you can do a good job just cutting down the edges of the tip with a sharp razor knife. Players did it that way for many years before all the gizmos. You just have to be careful when doing the final finishing on the tip. You don't want to be sanding your ferrule. I used to do it all the time. After gluing on the tip, place it on a firm surface (block of wood so you don't cut up your table top). Holding the shaft upright with it resting along your neck, cut downward rotating the shaft after each small cut. You will be amazed how fast it goes. Although I use a lathe, I can still do just as good a job like this if I had to. No brain surgery here.I have even seen guys do damage with some of the tools being offered on the market. Seems like years ago everybody used to know how to do all this stuff, but now they are always trying to sell you something.

L.S. Dennis
02-23-2003, 12:03 PM
Ras,
I don't have any experience with those products you mentioned, and you're right if you're installing layered tips shaving them downward might be a problem. Maybe Spiderman can chime in on those aforementioned products you mentioned.

Harold Acosta
02-23-2003, 12:04 PM
The Big Shaver allegedly does not cut the ferrule if you make the proper adjustments. This is also true with the Mushroom Graser (PM60); however, it seems that the Big Shaver (PT10) would do a better job.

[b]<font color="blue">Billiards is a passionate sport for the mind and soul!</font color>
http://www.thebilliardstour.com/images/starscrash.gif

ras314
02-23-2003, 01:01 PM
Noticed the tweetens glue did not stick well where it had gotten down on the ferrule. Will use super glue next try. The Predator ferrule seems to be a rather soft plastic and the cue top sander with supplied disk was a bit course.

Also some of the talisman tips are flat with printing on both sides, some are domed about quarter size, all ordered same time. Seems odd.

Worst than shaft work distance is the 200 mi. to any "pool hall" with tournaments. Getting tired of the bar scene. Cell phones don't even work here, except in a very few locations.

Appreicate all the good advice.

Troy
02-23-2003, 01:39 PM
If you ordered Talisman Tips directly from the factory via
www.talismanbilliards.com (http://www.talismanbilliards.com)
you could specify either Domed or Flat and that's what you'd get.

Ordering through a secondary supplier ??? Don't know what you'd get.

Troy...~~~ Goes directly to the source, Domed only
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ras314:</font><hr>
Also some of the talisman tips are flat with printing on both sides, some are domed about quarter size, all ordered same time. Seems odd. <hr /></blockquote>

Hopster
02-23-2003, 02:02 PM
Bert kinister has a whole lesson on how to replace a tip from start to finish at the end of a few of his tapes. Shows you what you need and whatnot. It was at the end of one his tapes that i saw it. Pretty good i may add. You might want to give him a call and see if he will send it to you.
Just a thought.

SpiderMan
02-23-2003, 03:00 PM
Ras,

I looked up your location on Yahoo, man you really are 'way out there. Understand about the cell phones. Each year I drive out your way going to the BCA nats in 'Vegas, my cell phone stops working shortly after I cross from Texas into New Mexico. I think it works again for a while near Albuquerque, but that's about all. I was really surprised at no coverage along the interstate.

SpiderMan

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ras314:</font><hr> Noticed the tweetens glue did not stick well where it had gotten down on the ferrule. Will use super glue next try. The Predator ferrule seems to be a rather soft plastic and the cue top sander with supplied disk was a bit course.

Also some of the talisman tips are flat with printing on both sides, some are domed about quarter size, all ordered same time. Seems odd.

Worst than shaft work distance is the 200 mi. to any "pool hall" with tournaments. Getting tired of the bar scene. Cell phones don't even work here, except in a very few locations.

Appreicate all the good advice. <hr /></blockquote>

Vapros
02-23-2003, 04:38 PM
I have put on my own tips for years, using 1 drop of -
Super Jet medium viscosity professional grade cyanoacrylate glue. You keep it in the refrigerator and a 1 oz bottle is a lifetime supply. I bought mine about ten years ago for maybe $6 at a model supply store. Dry it overnite standing on the tip and then trim it upside down with an XActo knife and a #11 blade, rotating the shaft after each slim cut. This glue has never failed me. Quick and easy.

#### leonard
02-25-2003, 07:24 AM
i could replace a tip in 5 minutes with a razor knife, hot melt glue gun with the yellow glue not white, sand paper to form the tip.

Take the razor and cut off your old tip at the glue then take water and wet the glue and tip till it washes off never use a sander on the ferrule. You will notice that the ferrule has rings where the glue forms its bond. The sander eliminates the rings and usually slants the ferrule after many tip changes.
On the glue gun, I only use the hot gun to melt a small slice of glue that I would cut off of the glue cyclinder and place on the tip. To much hot glue and your burning yourself and the tip is always off kilter.
Then rotate the cue on a block and shave with the knife. It takes a few tips to get the hang of it. I would practice on cheap junk tips till I got the knack of it.
To give a flat tip a nickel/dime head it is just like peeling an orange. Angle the razor knife and peel the edge of the tip trying to take the same amount of the tip off all the way around the tip.
Then finish up sanding the shape of the tip and rounding the tip smooth. ####

02-25-2003, 11:12 PM
Look, if you are handy around the house, like to work on your car, then do your own tips. I have never put a tip on in my life &amp; don't intend to ever do so. The tip is the most important thing on your cue, I want mine on perfect. I can't put one on perfect, so I go to the best tip man in the town where I live, Jim Lewis, he does all my tips. I wont let anyone put on a tip, any where, but him. If I lose a tip out on the road, I bring the shaft home to him. I encourage you to ask around &amp; find who the Jim Lewis is in your town, &amp; no matter how far you have to drive, take your business to this person. If his price is even high, but resonable, pay it. Put on a triangle, you will love it.
ps, I dont sell tips, I dont work for triangle, this is not a paid endorsement, just my humble opinion. ps, I am not related to Jim Lewis, nor do I work for the pool hall he does. Best Wishes, Fast Larry Guninger

ras314
02-26-2003, 10:33 AM
I'll try to find the Jin Lewis somewhere. Part of the reason for doing my own tips is to find what works best for me. Used super glue last try, after 4 hours playing time looks ok. Still can't get the sides as good as a pro would.

Sid_Vicious
02-26-2003, 10:48 AM
I'm like you, if I don't like the way the tip plays I enjoy the feeling of being able to cut it off and replace it with another. As far as getting the sides perfect...I get nicely done sides now that I use the gizmo Spiderman has perfected to be used for spinning any shaft in a drill motor. Presto! Perfect, and I'll wager my tip will not pop off, as does some of those experts' tips. When you do a job yourself, you tend to be more tedious and detailed. Some of the notorious local tip guys have gotten lax(imo.) sid

ras314
02-26-2003, 10:53 AM
Been looking at the Spiderman gizmo on the posts here. Looks like you would need some kind of steady rest?

Popcorn
02-26-2003, 10:56 AM
There is great satisfaction being somewhat self sufficient and not dependent of someone else. Tips can be a funny thing. I was at a tournament and watched Mizerak put on four tips before he had one he liked. Doing something like putting on your own tips, adds another aspect to pool for you. I would hate to drive an hour, pay and the next day hate the tip I just got. Even if you have someone to do them for you, it is a good idea to know how, besides, it is fun. You should try to know everything you can about the game and this includes the care of the equipment. I commend you.

L.S. Dennis
02-26-2003, 12:01 PM
I just looked at the atlas to find Reserve NM. Looks like a beautiful place but I can see why there are no tip installers for a 100 miles.

How far is the closest 9 foot table?

SpiderMan
02-26-2003, 12:21 PM
Not recommended procedure, but when nothing else was available:

I have done a reasonable job of trimming the sidewalls by laying the shaft down into the carpet on the floor, steadying with my left hand (and a rag to prevent skin burns), and trimming with a sharp piece of broken glass as a scraper. Finish up with progressively-finer sandpaper, but don't touch the ferrule, especially not when you're below 1000 grit. It's also easier if you get someone else to be "triggerman" on the drill.

SpiderMan

ras314
02-26-2003, 12:23 PM
Silver City, NM is closest 9 ft table I can find, 100 mi. Place called Silver Dollar Billiards has several refurbushed antique tables, one 9 ft I think. Looks like a airplane landing field to me!

Sid_Vicious
02-26-2003, 01:02 PM
You'd be surprised at how the shaft tames down with your toe on the motor trigger and your hand guiding the shaft near the ferrule end. You would need to have it relatively trimmed at this point though, either a Porper tool something comparable. Otherwise you can put a good finishing touch on the sides with the spin and varying grades of sandpaper...sid

Rod
02-26-2003, 02:56 PM
I lay the drill on the shop bench with a towel underneath and a little weight on the drill. Use my dremmel to get the side walls close and the radius. I hold the shaft bare left handed using the bench as a steady and wallgreens nail files to finish. Wet the side of the tip and burnish with the doubled up back side of 600. That gets hot. LOL The golden rule, never touch the ferrule unless it needs a touch up. I could use my vice but it is a little high and is on the wrong side for trimming right handed. I'd hate to see a trim by me left handed, gouge! /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

I think some people should put their tips on. In the 60's and 70's all I used was a sharp knife and sanded the sides to finish. This is easy compared to the old days, plus you'd never know it was not done on a lathe buy a pro-shop.

Rod

SpiderMan
02-26-2003, 04:20 PM
You can do really great-looking work with a minimum of tools, if you have an eye for detail and are willing to take your time.

SpiderMan

ras314
02-26-2003, 09:59 PM
SpiderMan,
Put me on your list when you decide to sell these shaft spinner gadgets.

#### leonard
02-27-2003, 02:08 PM
Fast Larry I am the Jim lewis of my area. The best tip man in my area. Arthur "the Babe" Cranfield always had nothing but praise for my Tip work. Especially after defeating him with my tip work. I haven't lost a tip in 40 years of using that method. I turned Palmer Billiards into selling hot glue guns, once I showed Peter how simple it was to put a new tip on with it.

I know you know it all but the secret to to playing with nothing but good tips is when your on that road, play with house cues till you find one with the great tip, then clip and take it home with you.####g