PDA

View Full Version : Tourney environment

02-23-2003, 06:50 PM
After a long haitus from pool I just recently finished competing in our state 8-ball team tourney which was held in the ballroom of a convention center. This was a tourney held on bar boxes (50) & I was hoping for a little less blaring Poison on the pa system & somewhat clean air. Is this what pool has degenerated to? After 10 hours of this on day one I was numb. The next day was just as bad & it was sad to look around & see all the blank staring faces. The only click of the balls to be heard was the break & it was impossible to converse with anyone over two feet away. Players were shouting balls to be called & pocketed. Safety play often required walking over to the opponents chair to call the shot. Someone once told me that if the music is too loud than I'm too old. If this is the case, then I will quietly walk away & leave this chaos to others. I guess I can wear earplugs, but I dont think I should have to endure the smoke. From what I remember years ago, it sure has room for improvement. Are other state tourneys run this way?

dg-in-centralpa
02-23-2003, 07:00 PM
The PA State 8 Ball Championship held in Lancaster, PA in November has music playing, but you can talk to all the people around you, even with 60+ bar boxes in use.

SpiderMan
02-24-2003, 10:15 AM
What state was this, and who ran the tournament?

SpiderMan

Sid_Vicious
02-24-2003, 11:03 AM
This is second hand info. A friend was told by a local 1-pocket guy who frequently travels on business that he came across a house around Denver that had a room especially for 1-pocket, that was smoke free and music free. To top that off, he was told upon entering the room by the room attendant that no talking was allowed, and if you were going to talk you would be asked to leave. I did not get any names of the place, but thought you guys would like to hear that these places do exist out there...sid~~~actually like some music and chatter

02-24-2003, 11:17 AM
This was the North Dakota State Championships. Almost 200 five person teams. This is a nearly new city owned facility & I asked a building official about the bad air & she said this buildings ventilation system was not designed to remove this much smoke! The vent fans were running on high all the time & didnt make a dent.
This brings up a interesting question: Seems to me that more pool players smoke than the national average. This would be an interesting stat to see. Who am I kidding? At this tourney everybody smoked. Sorry to be ragging on but I'm still coughing up butts. seeya, Dewey52

Wally_in_Cincy
02-24-2003, 11:20 AM
If there is a lot of chatter in a place I need some music to mask it. Chatter can be much more distracting than music.. IMO.

Wally in the Natti~~frequently too cheap to play the jukebox /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

NBC-BOB
02-24-2003, 02:31 PM
Sounds like a dream room to me.The majority of the rooms that I've been in,have the music so loud that I can feel the vibration on the table.One room by me even has some strobe lights going.Oh what I would give for a nonsmoking,light music atmosphere.

cycopath
02-24-2003, 02:58 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote NBC-BOB:</font><hr> Sounds like a dream room to me.The majority of the rooms that I've been in,have the music so loud that I can feel the vibration on the table.One room by me even has some strobe lights going.Oh what I would give for a nonsmoking,light music atmosphere. <hr /></blockquote>You and me both buddy.